Polishing Components

65Cobra

Registered
I have a '99 Busa (black & gray) and was thinking of polishing some of its components but wanted to see what others had to say first. I've polished a lot of aluminum and stainless parts over the years but nothing on the bike.

What's interesting is how many components seem to be aluminum or an aluminum alloy... the clutch and magneto covers, the lower fork brackets, the footrest brackets including the brake and shifter pedals, the fluid reservoirs... the list seems endless.

How many of these components can be polished? And when I say polished, I mean to a nice bright shine that will hold up. There are all grades of aluminum... some polish better than others, and some hold up better than others. From what I've seen, the polished frames look good but that doesn't mean the rest of the components will look or hold up the same.

Any experienced Busa polishers here that can share their knowledge? Thanks.

Last edited:
Not a Busa, but a 94 ZX7. Headache. Personally I think it's too much work for a bike unless it's show only. Humidty, rain, leg or knee hitting or rubbing the frame...re polish. It's alot of work, I'de spend the money on chrome.
My dad's a tool and die maker/mechanical engineer, he can put a heck of a shine on stainless or aluminum. All I can say is...he warned me:laugh:

Polish is a lot of work, but the majority of parts on the Busa can be polished. Frame, wheels, clutch, stator and sprocket covers, triple tree (upper and lower) and grab bar are some typical pieces that people do. You will find that because of the work most folks will chrome them.

Thanks guys. Believe me I'm fully aware of the work involved in polishing anything and I can handle that task, but the point about maintaining that look is well taken. I've used ZoopSeal with success but it's not going to protect the parts that will be in direct contact of the wind and weather while riding or, like sixpack said, from rubbing.

As far as chrome is concerned, after working with stainless, having things chromed isn't the same anymore, but I'll still keep that in mind. It's a shame that there isn't a clear coating that doesn't destroy the look and shine of polished aluminum, but I've yet been able to find one.

I may do the clutch and stator covers and possibly the brake and clutch reservoirs since I already have billet covers, and call it quits. I could handle the maintenace on those. Otherwise any opinions on having some items powder coated? I don't care for the silver color on the footrest brackets and considering they are suseptable to rubbing, polishing or painting those won't hold up.

if you polish the frame pegs etc.... its a lot of work but i looks great!!!
it stands out from others you just have to commit yourself to clean it and polish it every time you wash it. for that nice shine and protection i use white diamond polish and sealer and a serynge they sell in P.R called diamante (diamond in english. they dont sell it in the states!!! i get it thru tha mail). but ive heard good things about mothers billet :beerchug:

if you polish the frame pegs etc.... its a lot of work but i looks great!!!
it stands out from others you just have to commit yourself to clean it and polish it every time you wash it. for that nice shine and protection i use white diamond polish and sealer and a serynge they sell in P.R called diamante (diamond in english. they dont sell it in the states!!! i get it thru tha mail). but ive heard good things about mothers billet :beerchug:

I've used Mother's for years and it's great stuff... and readily available. Once I do the couple parts I mentioned I'll sit back and see what I think about the rest of the bike afterwards. Thanks.

I would have thought a clear powder coat would help protect and also retainthe shine. ???

You have to clean the part well enough to get all the polishing compound out before anything will stick. If you're not careful, or don't clean it with the right stuff, it will compromise the shine you worked so hard to get.
Clearcoat is a good idea, but everything becomes so much work. Of course there are folks out there that just happen to be great at the whole process of polishing and sealing. They just seem to be few and far between. To each there own and good luck with things. Chrome is the lazy man's polish:laugh:

Neither clear anodizing nor clear powder coating are a viable options for highly polished aluminum because both coatings reduce the brightness factor. So it's not "clear" as when compared to a clear top coat applied during a custom paint job.

Applying a coat of clear paint would retain most of the brightness, but since paint is thin, and it's being applied directly to a smooth surface... meaning not a sanded and primered surface... it won't be durable enough to resist the elements. Subsequent chips would be noticeable and I wouldn't be able to fix them, other than to strip and reapply the clear coat.

Back