Please have a safe 04' riding season

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Janklow Draws 100-Day Jail Sentence

1 hour ago

By CARSON WALKER, Associated Press Writer

Brandee Scott, daughter of the late Randy Scott, leaves the Moody County ...More...
FLANDREAU, S.D. - Bill Janklow, who dominated South Dakota politics for three decades as governor and then congressman, was sentenced to 100 days in jail Thursday for a car crash that killed a motorcyclist and ended Janklow's career in disgrace.

After 30 days behind bars, Janklow will be allowed to leave jail during the day for up to 10 hours to perform community service. After he completes his jail term, he will be on probation for three years, during which he will not be allowed to drive.

The 64-year-old Republican was found guilty Dec. 8 of second-degree manslaughter, speeding and running a stop sign for a collision that killed 55-year-old motorcyclist Randy Scott at a rural intersection on Aug. 16.

"If I could change places with him, I would. It's easy for me to say that, but I would," the former congressman told the judge before hearing his sentence.

"All I can say, judge, is I'm sorry for what happened and I wish I could change it," Janklow said, his voice choking.

Janklow said he never tried to excuse his behavior. He said he got a lot of traffic tickets, but none after he was elected to the third of his four terms as governor in 1994.

"While I was governor, I drove fast _ really fast. I had a lot of places to go and things to do," he told Judge Rodney Steele.

South Dakota does not require minimum sentences, so Steele was free to impose anything from no jail time and no fines to a total of more than 11 years behind bars and $11,400 in fines.

The judge fined Janklow $5,400 and ordered him to pay $50 a day for the cost of his 100 days in jail, for another $5,000. Janklow was ordered to report to the county jail in Sioux Falls on Feb. 7.

The Scott family said before the sentencing that no one from the family would have any comment. The family's lawyer did not return several phone calls.

Scott's daughter Brandee told KELO-TV of Sioux Falls she didn't feel she should comment because of a wrongful death lawsuit the family filed against Janklow this week, but she said she was satisfied with the sentence.

During the trial in Janklow's hometown, the jury saw him in tears as he described his grief over the crash. The defense argued that Janklow, a diabetic, had not eaten for 18 hours and was suffering a diabetic reaction that left him confused and disoriented.

A prosecutor called the scenario "goofy" and said Janklow concocted it as an excuse for going 71 mph in a 55 mph zone in his Cadillac.

Janklow announced his resignation from the House hours after the verdict.

Janklow was state attorney general in the 1970s before serving a total of 16 years as governor and then winning South Dakota's lone House seat in 2002.

Over three decades, Janklow charged ahead with his vision for the state, winning over voters in heavily conservative South Dakota with his tough-talking, often abrasive style.

He made South Dakota a major center for credit-card issuers such as Citibank, saved rail service in most of the state, and used inmates to wire schools for high-speed Internet access.

But he also made many enemies over his unwillingness to compromise, his insults and attacks on opponents and his penchant for cutting corners.

Janklow made no secret of his need for speed. He received 12 speeding tickets from 1990 to October 1994, shortly before South Dakotans voted him back into the governor's office.

"Bill Janklow speeds when he drives _ shouldn't, but he does," Janklow said in a 1999 speech to the Legislature. "When he gets the ticket he pays it, but if someone told me I was going to jail for two days for speeding, my driving habits would change."

Janklow would have been up for re-election next November. His resignation from Congress became effective Tuesday.

A special election will be held June 1 to pick someone to serve out the remainder of his term, giving Democrats an early chance to pick up a seat in the narrowly divided House. The seat will remain vacant until then.

The Republicans will gather Friday and Saturday to select a candidate. The Democrats will meet on March 6 and are expected to tap Stephanie Herseth, who narrowly lost to Janklow in 2002.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074821137 -->

This jerk *** gets a 100 days for killing someone because of carelessness. Guess politicians could just blow through stop signs and get away with it. That blows. They're the first to say motorcycles are unsafe, particularly sportbikes. I have never met a sportbike rider yet that wasn't a really good cage operator. Anyway, please be aware of your surrondings while riding, everytime I hear of a rider going down, I feel like giving up on riding all together. I really don't want to.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: "spell like Im 5yrs old"|1074827435 -->

That is messed up but, it is all over. I see it here too and I hear about it everywhere else. It is saddening.

sounds about right to me, his only real crime was speeding which is a traffic infraction, sure it contributed to the accident but none the less it was an accident, the charge is prolly right for the state he was in, man2, carries an 11 year sentance but since he isnt a criminal and has no record and he served the people for 17 yrs, he got a break, no biggie, 11 yrs wont bring back the deceased, sides that he will get reamed in his civil trial, and he lost his life too...

sounds about right to me, his only real crime was speeding which is a traffic infraction, sure it contributed to the accident but none the less it was an accident, the charge is prolly right for the state he was in, man2, carries an 11 year sentance but since he isnt a criminal and has no record and he served the people for 17 yrs, he got a break, no biggie, 11 yrs wont bring back the deceased, sides that he will get reamed in his civil trial, and he lost his life too...
BULLSH*T! His crime was manslaughter, not a simple traffic infraction. Deliberately running a stopsign/traffic light is not an "accident", and when it leads to killing someone, it's manslaughter. It wouldn't have mattered if he was going 55 or 71 thru that stop sign, he still would have killed the guy. You're right, punishment won't bring back the deceased, but it may make the next *sshole think twice about running a stop sign/red light. Like he said in his speech, fear of a ticket won't stop him, but jail time will. I say make him an example - the public won't even hear about the average jerk*** doing something like this and getting 11 years, but they'll damn sure hear about a politician doing it. Time to serve the people once again, I say.

cussing.gif

BULLSH*T! His crime was manslaughter, not a simple traffic infraction. Deliberately running a stopsign/traffic light is not an "accident", and when it leads to killing someone, it's manslaughter. It wouldn't have mattered if he was going 55 or 71 thru that stop sign, he still would have killed the guy. You're right, punishment won't bring back the deceased, but it may make the next *sshole think twice about running a stop sign/red light. Like he said in his speech, fear of a ticket won't stop him, but jail time will. I say make him an example - the public won't even hear about the average jerk*** doing something like this and getting 11 years, but they'll damn sure hear about a politician doing it. Time to serve the people once again, I say.[/QUOTE]

I agree

Can't say enough bad things about that sente nce.

Average Joe does that & it would be a couple of years.
mad.gif

He should be stretched between to running Busas until he feels the pain.  
wow.gif

There is Taxis, friends, etc. etc. No reason to drink and drive.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074995602 -->

Happens all the time and around here you always hear, "it was the bikes fault".BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back