Plastic smell from exhaust, pics of plugs

Is you oil overfilled? Im defiently not a turbo expert, but oil comin out could mean there is not room for inside and it finds the path of least resistance to get out. Just a quick thing to check

Is you oil overfilled? Im defiently not a turbo expert, but oil comin out could mean there is not room for inside and it finds the path of least resistance to get out. Just a quick thing to check
That too....the low fill line is usually utilized as anything more is too much and caused the mosquito fogger effect. :laugh:

That too....the low fill line is usually utilized as anything more is too much and caused the mosquito fogger effect. :laugh:
this i will disagree
dont ever run it low
it will damage motors
i ran up to 5 qts of oil with a 2" flat billet pan and no problems
its more in the turbo setup with smoking or a case vent clogged
RCC doesnt have a problem with the height of their turbo so i would definitely look at the case vent

Last edited:
You can run 5 quarts of oil without any trouble, but you should definitely not have oil coming out the dump pipe, I have just sent a similar turbo back to Precision with the same problem, I am still waiting to hear what they find. For some reason we have seen a couple of turbos that smoke and drip some oil on initial start up each morning, but goes away and does not return until it sits overnight and is restarted. The CHRA will be replaced, but I want to make sure Precision finds the problem so we do not have to go through this again, I will make a call first thing this morning,

Richard

goes away and does not return until it sits overnight and is restarted.

Richard

Unfortunately in this instance it looks like it gets worse when running.

Also, I think I lost boost, I didn't really want to push it but I didn't see any at 5K last evening. I didn't want to push it any harder until I knew what was going on.

Quick response for support, besides quality one of the main reasons I went with RCC.

Just keep me updated what to do next. Probably disconnecting turbo from header and wastegate?

Last edited:
Bob: A couple of things- first of all, 15 minutes is not enough time to run the bike and start pulling plugs, prior to getting a map done. The ring seal on the hot (turbine) side of the turbo is like a piston ring that sits in a groove on the turbine wheel shaft. It needs to spin, i.e., rotate in its bore to make a seal. If this ring stops its rotation with the gap facing down, it will allow some oil to get through with the turbo sitting stopped. So as far as your oil situation is concerned, I would run the bike around a little more - you have a two year warranty on the turbo, so give it a chance.

The other thing is that the bike just starts to go positive - make boost - at around 5,000 rpm when there is a load, so you are not going to be seeing much boost on the gauge until you twist that throttle a little harder - which you should not do until you get a custom map done. If you pull the air cleaner off while the bike is idling, you will see that the turbine is turning at a pretty good speed. So you do not have to boost the bike to get that ring seal to turn. Put those plugs back in - which do not look bad at all - and go for another ride. Warm the bike up good, don't baby the bike, but don't full throttle it either. See what it does in regard to the oil situation. Please let me or Richard know right away. Richard stands solidly behind all of his products, which is one reason why I not only sell RCC, I use it on my own personal builds . . .:cheerleader:

Bob: So as far as your oil situation is concerned, I would run the bike around a little more - you have a two year warranty on the turbo, so give it a chance.

Ran it for around for 15mins. This looks much better, thanks Frank for the quick response.

I'm just surprised it didn't smoke the first couple of rides. Seems ok now.

101_1344.jpg

That front tire looks plenty oily, be real careful, clean that tire with some brake clean real well before riding.

Richard

Thanks for your concern and the quick respond earlier Richard.

The tire is actually wet due to the rain, another reason to be careful.

Re: Plastic smell from exhaust, pics of plugs.....Hopefully Vapor lock in Return Line

After checking everything over I started to pull unit off for manufacturer inspection/return.

Drained the oil and decided I would blow through the return line as this to me this was the last thing I could check before sending unit off. (besides plugged crankcase vent which I had already eliminated).

Initial blow through by mouth had a bit of resistance and then a release of air. I decided to give it one more try, filled oil back up, wiped the dump pipe out, and started. No smoke on start up or after riding for a couple of miles which is where most of the smoke was seen previously. (When I first filled the bike with oil the bike was on a rear stand).

First pic is pipe wiped out.

Second pic is bike shut down after idling and riding for 10mins.

Thrid pic after riding longer, appr 15mins. Also, I'm starting to produce boost at 4.5K again, as prior to the smoke/leak.

HOPEFULLY, that little bit of smoke that is seen in the second pic is normal or is just burn off from previous problem. I'll take for a few more rides today and continue inspecting dump pipe for oil.

Richard and Frank have been working with me closely and I've never felt like I had a need to worry. Again, HOPEFULLY this was the problem.

101_1403.jpg

101_1419.jpg

101_1428.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Plastic smell from exhaust, pics of plugs........more oil again

Another ride, more oil coming down dump pipe :banghead:

Going to drain oil and try blowing through oil return line again

101_1431.jpg

Still a little resitance when blowing through return line and then it clears.

I shortened my return line to decrease angle. If this doesn't work then it's off to the manufacturer to be checked.

106.jpg

101_1440.jpg

wonder if there's any way to run a bigger return. another option is to run a restrictor in the oil inlet. check the manufacturer specs on recommended oil pressure to the center section.

wonder if there's any way to run a bigger return. another option is to run a restrictor in the oil inlet. check the manufacturer specs on recommended oil pressure to the center section.

The kit is proven.

Just took it out for a longer ride after shortening return line to increase angle on return and this time it was ok. I'll take it for a few more rides before posting results.

Precision does not recommend a restrictor in the oil inlet, although that is an excellent suggestion - just not for this particular unit. The 1/2 return is plenty big . . . :laugh:

The kit is proven.

Just took it out for a longer ride after shortening return line to increase angle on return and this time it was ok. I'll take it for a few more rides before posting results.

Angle of that line will not change anything, the turbo is not that sensitive, the first way you had it was fine. I would recommend sending it in for inspection and a seal replacement,

Richard

Back