Plastic smell from exhaust, pics of plugs

stepaukob

Registered
I rode newly installed turbo for a few miles checking for leaks without any issues. Bike produced boost and I felt it kick in but didn't get too high in RPMs as I didn't want to fry any pistons.

Bike had no issues.

I took it the next day and kept real mellow again just breaking it in and checking for leaks. I brought bike back close to boost and it didn't seem like it really built boost but I didn't want to push it, I'm not even sure if I brought it high enough in the RPMs to produce that time.

Anyway, I didn't push it and brought it home.

The only other thing I did after that was installation on fuel rail of new NPT fitting along with liquid thread sealer. I didn't let the sealer set and restarted.

No problems until bike got a little warm and then it started to smoke. At first I thought it was running real rich but it smelled like burning plastic.

I pulled the plugs and posted pics. I'm so paranoid that I don't even want to restart until I get some feedback.

Pics are of the plugs.

Can anyone tell by looking at the plugs if there is any damage done to the motor? I've heard when you see white specks then you've probably done damage. I'm wondering if I should just put fresh fuel in and restart but I wanted some input on the plugs while I had them out.

101_1295.jpg

101_1296.jpg

101_1297.jpg

101_1299.jpg

101_1300.jpg

101_1303.jpg

101_1306.jpg

need closer pics, first of all. but the electrodes aren't black, they would be with a significant amount of oil. the plastic smell may be that your fairings are getting heated with the exhaust being that close. i'm assuming you're running a dump tho, and you may not be. how close up does your camera get bro?

Just my opinion but looks like its running lean..u might have some liquid Thread sealer in the lines or fittings clogging it up..that might cause the engine to run a little hot..i dont think it hurt your engine any..It also might be the fittings u put on..lot of fittings are mass produced so u never really know what your getting in A npt fittings.. So i would check that out..as for the smell it might just be the new burning off or oil on the turbo or exhaust..like the other guy said it might be to close to the plastic parts ect..

Not sure if these pics are good enough. Only have about 15 mins riding on them.

The smoke that smells like plastic is only coming out of the larger dump pipe, the plastics are off of the bike.

Bike seems to run ok, but the smoke started when warming up and I shut it down quickly.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I hate this sh**. I'm so paranoid I'm gonna blow her up after only riding 15mins.

I'll try fresh gas and won't even think about boost until I get a tune. I'm so paranoid that I'm going to kill her without ever really riding.

My bike makes boost around 5,000 rpm..did the bike ever make boost?what turbo are u running?how many lbs is it set at?

U might also have oil drain back in the turbo..that might be why its smoking..but i really dont know about the rubber smell...

Still need help.

Strange stuff is coming out my dump pipe.

It's oil but I thought it had a plastic kind of smell. I could see a little smoke like it was running rich but it doesn't smell like it or look like it fuel. Got home and it was a thick oily substance only coming from the dump pipe.

I wiped the inside of dump pipe with my finger and more dripped down after it sat shut down for a few minutes.

Bike runs ok, oil and antifreeze don't look contaminated.

RCC stage 1.

101_1322.jpg

101_1324.jpg

101_1328.jpg

101_1323.jpg

101_1332.jpg

101_1333.jpg

101_1190.jpg

Last edited:
Im just taking a shot in the dark.. But maybe your oil line is clogged and not letting the oil drain back then it might come out the turbo like that..

I also don't remember seeing this when I initially ran it. I'm sure I would have noticed because it starts to happen after only a few minutes of idling. When I initially started I let her idle for quite some time to warm up and check for leaks. I would have noticed that smell and smoke.

How old is your turbo?

Brand new, less than 10 miles.

I only took it out three times, once around the block to check for leaks, the second time I made sure it produced boost and brought it only to 6-7k and felt the turbo kit in. I then took it one more time, this time I took it easy, just making sure there were no more leaks. I also relocated my fuel pressure gauge which is why I thought it may have been the that.

I did bring it to 5k to check for boost but I'm pretty I didn't see it that time. I wasn't really looking either but I didn't want to push it because I wanted to get it tuned first. When I started the next time it started smoking only after a short warm up which is when I pulled the plugs and now I noticed that it is oil coming out.

Last edited:
Did u let it idle on the kick stand? Im not sure but i think oil can drain back into the turbo if its on the kick stand.. But im not sure about having it idle on the the stand if it will do the samething!!!

i've had a similar issue, my old 60 trim blew the seals because the oil pressure going into the turbo was too high. had to make an oil pressure restrictor. it finally quit smoking after that.

As stated earlier, you may have oil pooling in the turbo causing it to smoke, it should disappear after a minute of running with the bike vertical. You can get a front wheel chock to keep the bike vertical while parked rather than on the side stand which can cause oil to pool in the turbo. The substance on your finger is just oil, probably does stink....not sure about plastic smell but maybe depending on the type of oil it has a funky smell to it. Plugs looks a bit lean, have you remapped with the map provided from RCC at least? What's your base fuel pressure at idle also? You made no mention of it. Under boost you need to make sure the fuel pressure is rising otherwise you're going to lean out and smoke a piston. If you don't have a fuel gauge you should invest in one. Also make sure you tighten that top clamp on your oil return line - it's in the middle of the hose in the pic you provided which is incorrect. :laugh:

Thats sounds like what the problem might be..its getting pass the seal somehow..

That's what it seems to me :banghead:

it should disappear after a minute of running with the bike vertical
It doesn't

The substance on your finger is just oil, probably does stink

Because it is just heated oil it didn't really smell like "burning" oil

remapped with the map provided from RCC at least

Yes, remapped

What's your base fuel pressure at idle also?

42-43, I have a manual gauge

Under boost you need to make sure the fuel pressure is rising otherwise you're going to lean out and smoke a piston.

I set it initially but my gauge was initially under the tank. I only time I got into boost at a little past 6k, I just wanted to make sure it was working (I know, I took a chance in frying a piston)

Also make sure you tighten that top clamp on your oil return line - it's in the middle of the hose in the pic you provided which is incorrect. :laugh:

Gotcha

It definitely seems like there is oil getting around the unit somehow.

I'm not doing anything more until I talk with Richard or Frank and then I'll go from there. Thanks for your guys' input.

Last edited:
42-43, I have a manual gauge
I set it initially but my gauge was initially under the tank. I only time I got into boost at a little past 6k, I just wanted to make sure it was working (I know, I took a chance in frying a piston)
Might want to consider adding an external gauge. The FMU should boost fuel pressure 5:1 for every pound of boost. If not you're going to lean out real quick. Having a an external gauge will help you know for certain that everything is hooked up. I'm sure you got all the lines hooked correctly, but if something is pinched such as a vac line to the FMU you won't know until it's too late with the gauge being under the tank.

this doesnt sound like a lean rich problem it sounds like an oil problem
is there oil blowing out your crank case vent?
are u running a c rank cave vent filter?
if so it is probably clogged
run it open and see how it does
richards maps are close enough for testing and i trust them more then any other map

Back