Planning Engine Build need advice

PaLVBusa

Registered
Hey Guys im planning to do some engine work in the next few weeks. I am not an idiot by any means but when it comes to engines and working parts I'm CLUELESS. That being said I want to save some money by buying everything I need from sponsors and connections since I know im going to take it up the :moon: when it comes to labor/installation. While they have the head pulled I wanna do as much as I can without overdoing it with things that wont make a difference at all. At this point I have no intentions on a turbo or NOS or anything like that. Engine only has 4000miles on it at the moment, I just want a street reliable bike with a few extra balls then the average stock busa.
So heres what I have planned so far...

New cam (what size do you all recommend?)
Thinner Head Gasket
New Valve springs

What Im asking is if anyone has any advice for what else I may want to try and do while the head is pulled??

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.:bowdown:

You want reliable...then why open up the engine and demand more from it with aftermarket parts...you're gonna spend a lot of $$$$ on parts and labor.

You want some extra get up and GO...change the gearing and you will think that you just added 20+ HP...AND you will have MORE reliability than doing a bunch of unnecessary engine work. Rear sprockets are cheap less than $100
Posted via Mobile Device

Like i said im just planning but Nothing is set in stone. I had even thought about doing the 1441 kit from APE but wanted to get some advice from the experts!!!

No plans for near future; however, would like to start to Drag race.
Distant future:
Trying to slowely increase power with the bike so i dont overwhelm myself.
Drove stock bike for a yr, then bought exhaust, then changed sprockets. At this point the next step is to do some engine work but as I stated before not really in a rush just trying to get some ideas and see what you guys think. If the consensus says to leave engine alone then Im not dead set on opening the engine and spending money.

It's your bike and your $$$...you can do whatever that makes you happy...just that the more you do to it the less reliable it becomes.

I have gone 190+mph on more than one of my bikes...thought about doing some mods to break the 200 mph mark. I enjoy them the way they are...why spend the $$$ just to say I went a few mph's faster ???
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're going to pull the head...I would send it to Carpenter Racing...cams without head work is kinda a waste of $$$...of course head work costs more $$$...but that is where you are gonna make some BIG gains in HP.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what i was looking for. :bowdown:

If i go through with this i didnt wanna put new cams in and then realize i should have done head work or anything else im missing for that matter. I have talked to several local places that do engine work but they just give you the run around and say "YUP WE CAN DO THAT". No learning involved so what fun is doing something to your bike and never understanding anything about it? Recipe for disaster in my eyes. After I get a good idea of what I'll need and a basic cost, Im gonna start looking for a builder thats not a hack and actually knows what hes doing.

Carpenterracing.com

Aperaceparts.com

This is where you can find the GOOD stuff...not cheap, but you can count on them for quality parts and services.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks BA.. I didnt realize how close i am to Carpenter Racing so I may just go to them for one of their packages.

Is there any other reasons to avoid engine work besides putting un-needed stress on the engine for just a few extra HP?

It's an illness, never touched my '06, bought the '08 with a pipe, haven't used it all if you know what I mean. If you're thinking track you have lots of progressive steps and if you're like most you'll progress through them :laugh:

If you're gonna do cams and the head you may as well change the pistons. With that mod guys were getting just over 200 RWHP on the Gen I haven't heard about the Gen II should be 15-20 more on it. Next step is NOS, then stage 1 turbo, followed by stage II, most stop there, but some go stage III :whistle:

Good luck with it. Make sure you get someone who works Busa's and knows what the heck they are doing.

Sorry I'll have the big displacement guys on me. All kinds of kits out there. Most are going 1441 on Gen II. Real nice video set on here somewhere.

If U are stayin stock bore. The best way is remove the base gasket use suzuki sealer 1207B work awsome. stock head gasket. Stock intake on the exhaust side. I use a custom grind cam on the intake. around 360" lift. and use a good valve spring but not one with to much seat pressure.
don't mill the head it doesn't help that much. If any thing surface grind the block or run a thinner head gasket. set cams @ Int 104-105 & Ex @ 107-108.
185-190hp's :thumbsup:

I just dropped mine off this weekend to Frank @ Powerhouse to get the motor built. Check him out he's a site sponsor. He's got a sick shop and has answer every question I've had above and beyond.

I have talked with frank and he is an amazing guy but its a hike to get to him especially if he'll have the bike for several days!!

if you want reliable...keep it stock.

stock, gen I, with a dry shot fogging the stock airbox will have you over 200hp while not sacrificing anything.

I have talked with frank and he is an amazing guy but its a hike to get to him especially if he'll have the bike for several days!!

It was a 14 hour round trip just to drop it off. I gotta go back 2 more times, but its worth taking to someone with knowledge and experience.

Back