Turbo Engine Build - Gen 1

tekati

Registered
As you may know from previous postings I am building a 2006 Turbo Busa previously with 24k miles.

Here is what has been done so far and where I am heading if anyone has any suggestions or comments.

Engine is apart. Found some strange wiring which indicates possible nitrous was being used on the bike by a previous owner.

TRANSMISSION...
Shipped both gear clusters, shift drum, shift forks and fork shafts to R & D Motorsports in Clearwater FL.
4th and 5th gear were overheated and both cracked requiring replacement.
Input shaft had pretty severe cancer.
Output shaft had cracks around the splines.
Shift drum was smeared.
All shift forks are garbage one of them was visibly ground down.
Fork shafts bent.
Verdict
Replacing 4th and 5th gear.
Some other hard face welding needed done but cant remember exactly what now.
Replacing input shaft with new cryo and micro-polished shaft.
Replacing output shaft with billet shaft 30mm all the way out. (See interesting note at bottom of email regarding output shafts for beginners)
New shift drum.
All new shift forks.
New chromoly shift fork shafts.
Undercutting gears.
Thicker circlips (Recommended for air shifters) thinking of putting on a Pingel or Kliktronics electric shifter.
17 and 18 tooth sprockets (Available in 16,17,18,19 with stock being 17. R&D does not recommend 16 due to lack of chain grab area)
$2,100.00 (Should be shipping back next week)

ENGINE...
Drove Head, cylinders and crank to APE in Rosamond, CA
Left rods attached to crank and verified rods were loose which could have been cause of slight knock in motor.
Machine work being done - Off top of my head here can't remember everything for sure...
Performance Valve Job including installation of heavy duty valve springs and titanium retainers
Hone and inspect cyclinders - If all within specs leave alone if not bore, hone and replate to 83mm
Remove balancer, lighten and race balance, polish and install Carrillo Rods
Parts being purchased from APE
JE 81mm 8.7:1 Extreme Duty Pistons
Carrillo Rods
Heavy Duty Valve Springs
Titanium Retainers
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner (New PRO)
Adjustable Cam Gears
High Volume Oil Pump Gear
Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
Head Studs w/Nuts
Case Studs
Spacer Plate
Head Gasket
2) Base Gaskets
Gasket Kit
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings (If APE sells if not ?)
New Cam Chain (Suzuki)
$3,700+ (2-3 Weeks)

Total engine build $6,000+ looking for engine to be absolutely bullet proof and able to handle >450HP if you know of any other weak links please let me know. I know I need clutch work other than heavy duty springs but for now this will be a <300HP street driven bike so unless the mods are needed now they can come later when I am ready to unleash.

NOTE ON OUTPUT SHAFT for newbies like me who did not know.
The busa output shaft is 30mm all through the engine until it exits and is cut down to 25mm at the splines. This I was told is because most Japanese bikes use the 25mm spines even on much smaller bikes. This is a major reason why this is a very weak link in the busa transmission. By replacing with the new billet output shaft it will maintain 30mm all the way out. Then it uses a 30mm sprocket instead. I was told what these sprockets were designed for but not sure if R&D makes that public so I will leave it at that.

Please check out my next posting on more Turbo questions.

The sprocket on the heavy duty output shaft is a Triumph spline. No big secret there. Everything you have on that list looks good except for those crappy JE Pistons. Do some research, you will find that they are junk. Wossners are MUCH better. If you like MTC or CP, go with those. Anything but Junk Engineering . . . don't get me started!

Back