kbhay, I rode from Dallas TX to Key West, round trip was 4200 miles. The longest single stretch was from Dallas to Pensacola FL, 700 miles, the first day. I am 42 years old.
1. Install the Genmar riser, 1 1/4 inch.
2. Zero Gravity double bubble screen.
1. Tour Master Magnetic Tank bag, 12 liter.
2. Tour Master duffle bag with the built in bunge cords. They work really well with the pins on the bike.
1. Rain Suit
2. Tire plug kit
3. Plastic trash bags. Even tough the luggage will come with plastic covers, pack your cloths in the trash bag, then put them in the luggage.
4. Like dezzy7 said, take a cell phone, and wire in a cig lighter under the seat, just in case.
5. Radar dector, Passport 7500 mounted to a Leagal Speeding bracket that mounts to your wind screen.
6. Vista Cruise throttle lock, it will help with right hand.
7. Longer Shorts, not baggy, but like a regular breif with the longer leg that goes down the leg. The longer leg moves the pressure off your butt from short leg of a traditional brief, the ridge at the end of the leg.
8. Go with another rider. Two bikes are more easily seen than one.
9. Ear plugs, like the ones from home depot. The wind noise will make you deaf. The plugs will help and you will be albe to hear with them in.
10. Meash pants and Meash top, good boots, sungalsses, gloves, don't ride with out gloves.
11. Small can of chain lube.
I am 6.0, and the Genmar Riser helped a lot in the comfort, as did the Vista Cruise, and longer breifs.
My .10 cents.