*ping* a/c techs...

GJoker

Still got love for ya's...
Donating Member
Registered
OK.. my job title is Building Manager, but I'm also the one that does all the maintenance work around here too~ Anyhow...
I was in one of my A/C warehouses (Johnstone Supplies) the other day and i noticed all thess different sized fans hangin on one shelf~ I'm not talking squirrel cages here, but rather 4 to 6 blade fans ranging anywhere from 4" to 10" or so (I didn't actually measure them)~
My question is... could these fans be used, basically, same as a Muzzy fan? They were aluminum or some type of metal fans~ So I would think they would work just the same~ 'Course I didn't check the price on 'em either, so I really don't even know if it would be cost effective... but it did get my ol' brain a tickin...
wink.gif

GSXR is probably right about the weight. But actually some condenser fans for refrigeration equiptment may be the right application. Main things to look for would be shaft size for motor it goes on (the busa's fan motor in this case) And secondly the pitch of the blades. So if you have a fanblade laying around i bet the guys at Johnstone can match it up for you. And even go for one with a bit more pitch to the blades so it moves more air. Good luck and great idea! I'll be curious to see what you come up with!
cool.gif

Great feedback, mofo! I didn't even think about the weight factor either, GSXR~ Very good points to concider~ I'll have to look a bit further into these~
cool.gif

remember that alot of fans are designed to push air,you needs some blades that are proficient at sucking air.

RSD.

Are these fans fro home use or auto use? If they are for home use they will be A/C and will not work on your DC system.

Talking about the blade and not the motor which powers the blade. So ac or dc power should not matter. Rsd does make a good point........need one that sucks and not blows
rock.gif
I better leave that one alone
laugh.gif

Talking about the blade and not the motor which powers the blade. So ac or dc power should not matter. Rsd does make a good point........need one that sucks and not blows  
rock.gif
laugh.gif
If it blows then just flip the fan over and it will suck.

I wouldn't recommend this. The fan motors that run these blades have start capacitors to get them moving where as the busa fan doesn't so you will prematurely cause the failure of your fan motor and possibly cause engine damage in the process.

I wouldn't recommend this. The fan motors that run these blades have start capacitors to get them moving where as the busa fan doesn't so you will prematurely cause the failure of your fan motor and possibly cause engine damage in the process.
I disagree........ a start capacitor is just a means of starting a motor or another electrical device for that matter. Most ac motors are single phase power which in turn requires the capacitor in most cases. If a motor doesn't require a start capacitor (which is the case here) as long as the fan blade is a comparable size and weight it should work fine in this application and not create an overdraw on the motor. Really the key is having the correct fan blade. Of course this is just one man's opinion.  
idea.gif

I can buy blades from 5½" to 12" for well under $10 bucks (less than $4 for the smaller ones). Still a waste of time and money by the time you adapt it to fit and then pray it doesn't grenade and take out the radiator. If the pitch or number of blades is too great you'll over amp the motor. Does the Busa fan motor operate at more than 1550 rpm which is what a standard evap blade is rated/balanced at?

It's something I would consider for an OLD bike where the blade has been long discontinued, but not as long as OEM or aftermarkets are available.

rock.gif
laugh.gif
If it blows then just flip the fan over and it will suck.
It doesn't work that way. The blades are either CW or CCW, in addition to pitch they have a curve to them so you can't just flip them over.
Some aftermarket car fans have a straight cut blade that you can reverse but not for the blades he's considering.

Lot's of great feedback here, fellas... thanks~ I never knew there was sooooo much to concider with fans/blades~ Blowing... sucking... rpm balancing... I figured you could just put one fan onto another motor and run with it~ Good thing I asked about it here first~ I guess I just figured if the blade pitch was right... go for it!
blush.gif

It's just hard for me to justify 40$ for a Muzzy if I could pick one up at a better price~ Yeah... I'm a cheap bastid~ Now I see it's not all cut and dry as I first thought~ Oh well... back to the drawing board~
wink.gif

Back