Pic of my tire and question

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Here is a pic of my rear tire. Obviously, I don't do a lot of twisties, but you can see where my comfort level is when leaning--about where the chalk mark is.

I know some of you guys run right to the edge, but I'm not sure how much further over the bike is at that point. Obviously I can't look at the ground. I would like to work on pushing it further over, but I don't want to find out I'm two far when a tire breaks loose.

I plan on running back and forth through fairly tight S curves and progressively increasing the speed and lean, but are there any tips you guys can give me that would be a warning of when I'm pushing too far?

Scroll down a few posts for the pic. I'm not sure how I even got it in the original thread.

Last edited:
Damnit, I was sure I attached the pic of my tire

Try again. The question was how can I tell when I'm at the limit without going over it.

HowCloseAmI.jpg

you got a ways to go still. Your tire will grip right to the edge with no probs. stick your knee out if you got pucks on. when your posting off the side and your knee hits ground, thats a good signal that your right bout there.

BTW. get a new tire your ready your wear bars are showing.

you have one issue here that has little to do with the actual amount of lean are or can get..

the current tire profile is flat from running straight.. it is going to make the transition pretty uncomfortable..

The wear on your tire really does not look out of order for a bike used on the street.... (Were road conditions are NOT) optimal for max lean angles...
I would not stress it... If you really want wear on the tire all the way to its limits... (track day) .....

First you need to replace that tire, it's SHOT...second you are no where near the edge :whistle:

After you get a new tire, and for solo riding, drop your air pressure to 36 psi front and rear. Then go ride your favorite twisty road, start out slow and work up to a faster pace. Don't be afraid to lean into the turns, give your tires a couple of miles in the turns to heat up...they WILL NOT heat up on a straight road :poke:

Practice, practice, practice...try to find some local riders (faster and more skilled than yourself) to ride with. You'll never get better at it unless you push yourself :thumbsup:

Just take it easy until you build up your confidence :beerchug:

The wear on your tire really does not look out of order for a bike used on the street.... (Were road conditions are NOT) optimal for max lean angles...
I would not stress it... If you really want wear on the tire all the way to its limits... (track day) .....

That's kind of the way I'm feeling. I know I need new tires. Front and back. There are less than 4,000 miles on these. So, you see I tend to ride like I'm nuts in town (which I am). I hit 140 in a 40 the other day. It's just so easy on this bike. The front is wearing out from all the brake I'm grabbing.

I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Powers in the spring. Today will probably be my last ride for the season. It will be in the 40s and then lower next week.

With proper technique and good form, you will not ride to the edge of your time. I have pushed mine to the edge, but I know if I was better positioned on the bike, I would not lean it as far. Get your body off further, and the bike will lean less. Dont push it too hard and take your time. I was surprised one day to get off the bike and find out just how far I had pushed her. We were two up, and I didnt show Juli. LOL.

Eurekca 025.jpg

With proper technique and good form, you will not ride to the edge of your time. I have pushed mine to the edge, but I know if I was better positioned on the bike, I would not lean it as far. Get your body off further, and the bike will lean less. Dont push it too hard and take your time. I was surprised one day to get off the bike and find out just how far I had pushed her. We were two up, and I didnt show Juli. LOL.

That's what I'm talking about (your pic). I think I will push further and further with a new set of tires on the same S curve and then watch the wear to see where I am. I was thinking today "How damn hard do I have to push the bar to get it to heal over enough." It seemed like I was really pushing really hard (counter steering).

That's kind of the way I'm feeling. I know I need new tires. Front and back. There are less than 4,000 miles on these. So, you see I tend to ride like I'm nuts in town (which I am). I hit 140 in a 40 the other day. It's just so easy on this bike. The front is wearing out from all the brake I'm grabbing.

I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Powers in the spring. Today will probably be my last ride for the season. It will be in the 40s and then lower next week.

Believe me, I'm a rookie to the Org, (BUT NOT a rookie to fast bikes) ..
I have ridden and owned some of the fastest bikes made by Japan for the last 25yrs, from old KZ 1000LTD drag bikes to the Yamaha Turbo Seca,
first Yamaha Genesis FZ1000R, to a ZX1100, to a GSXR750 slingshot with a 1100cc motor stuffed into it... All of which were ridden and raced on the streets here in NYC, AND yep money did change hands quite often...
Best advise is to ride within your limits, ride with responsible riders that also happen to be more experienced than you, you will pick up things with out trying and be safe..

I also change tires on any bike I own every spring regardless of how little mileage they may or may not have....

tires will help also. try running 190/55 also a better brand. I could swear I had more lean going with my pilot powers 2Ct's. It might have been all in my head though.

Back