Shinko Raven 009 impressions

Dehning

Registered
I just fitted a set of Shinko Raven 009s onto my Gen I busa and I thought I'd relay my thoughts to the group.

I'm always on a tight budget so Shinko's long life tire with their obviously lower price was the somewhat obvious option. The tires were $175 with free shipping off ebay. My previous tires were Bridgestone Battlax BT16. My tire of choice is probably the Metzler Z4 or M3 but I only get those when I find some screaming deal somewhere.

After re-fitting the wheels yesterday afternoon I went for an evening ride to get a feel for them. The first corner I came to took me by surprise as I hadn't anticipated how much easier the Ravens roll into corners. After a few more bends I realized that the Raven's don't turn the bike quite as fast for a given angle of bike lean. This took a little bit of getting used to since I found I had to lean the bike a little further to get the line I was wanting. I never felt anything other than 100% traction and the bike seemed to track straight as an arrow. Under braking they seemed to grip very well too.

I did notice that they gave a slightly plusher ride then the Bridgestones.

Overall I'm satisfied so far, I'll report back when I have some decent distance on them.

tires.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

I have had mine since last September and I must say that I will be buying another set when it is time. I got mine from ebay and pid the same price. They are awesome tires for the money. I maybe partial though as Shinkos are all I have ever run on my Busa.:thumbsup:

Never rode a pair of Shinko's, but they look great, thanks for the pics.

I find the stock tires, Battlax BT15's on my 08 grip pretty well, never any trouble there.

However, my Buell has the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's on it and I don't think you could break those things loose. I have taken curves on the snake, East TN going into NC at 80 mph on the Buell and they just hang.

Macon454 is the local corner carver here right? I would love to put him on that Buell and see what he thinks, that thing is a beast in the corners.

i have shinkos now and i like pirellis honestly. Going with the Angel STs! 244 a set on tire express :) i think thats the site. not positive ???

Russell,

I can't say I have tried a ton of tires like some of the guys on here, but man those pirelli's are amazing.

and pirelli states 7500 miles too out of them! cant wait to test that out. Im not extreme with my tires but im like any normal rider with a heavy wrist sometimes :laugh:

ill be getting them in the next 3 months. My current shinkos that the previous owner put on them are becoming bald. they just dont feel right to me. I had pirellis on my last bike and i loved them like crazy

I've got a set for sale. It's a 200 rear with the standard fronts with 400 miles in them. 100$ takes them. I liked them but switched to angels. Just couldn't get passed the flat look of the tire.

I was looking at those same tires but I just bought another Avon AV56 Storm. I got almost 10K miles off the last rear one. Hey, I don't drag my knee......

I've got a set for sale. It's a 200 rear with the standard fronts with 400 miles in them. 100$ takes them. I liked them but switched to angels. Just couldn't get passed the flat look of the tire.

PM me on those I might take them off your hands

Do keep us informed on these tires. I would like to know what your impressions are of these tires after you get some mileage on them.

OK, done a few good long trips around town now. The ravens take a little getting used to since they roll into corners so differently from the other tires I have had. They seem to roll in more easily but seem to almost level off and stop rolling at a certain point. Now that I'm more used to them, they seem to be more fluid than the Battlax or Metzeler's, but not as hard edged. I find myself actually gripping the tank with my knees more now which is (I think) a sign that I subconsciously feel like the tires are more predictable (?) They are also obviously pretty tough rubber as I still see small bumps where the molding spikes used to be on the center of the tread!

So far these look like they are going to make excellent commuter tires with enough grip to hang in fairly well in the twisties, conversely they won't make good track tires.

Did I miss something, somewhere, somehow?

Aren't those Gen II cans on a Gen I bike?

Just curious, Pray tell.

Bubba

Sorry if off subject!

Last edited:
Back