My lame review of metzler m3 tires

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Ok. I decided to say something about my new M3 tires. Problem is, I don't know what to say. They stick and I like them. To me, if they bring the front up instead of spinning when I hammer the throttle in first, I'm happy. If I can take 80-90mph sweepers at the track almost scraping parts, I'm happy. If they hold air and turn, I'm happy. In short, these tires are fine, but I'm not jumping up and down singing praises, because they do everything I expected them too, but there's nothing special. I do like them. I liked the Pirelli Diablos also - those are my top pick for stick, for now. M3s seem almost just as good, but I've only really used them a lot on the track - and on the track at 30 PSI, EVERYTHING sticks pretty well after heating up.

Don't take this wrong, I would reccomend them to anyone interested, but I'm thinking at this stage maybe I should not be trying to review tires at all. I'm not subjective or picky or in tune enough. They stick and that is about all I require.

So far, only the street Dunlops from a few years ago and the HPXs sucked in my opinion... because they were too easy to spin. The Diablo Strada Sport/Tour tire was too weak to really get down on, but it stuck like anything else inflated to 36-38ish PSI. When the M3s wear out, I will try the Dunlop Qualifiers since they are this minutes rage. But I have nothing to offer as far as feel of sidewalls or wear because I jsut don't care. They stick, and much of my bikes feel is dependant on suspension anyway. I'll ride weak or hard sidewalls however they want me too, and make it work.

Far as tires, I'm not to thrilled with the Powers from what I see. I have NOT tried them and now have no interest. Their profile angle seems limiting for lean, compared to the M3's ROUNDER look which gives you equal contact at all leans, and a comfortable back and forth transition. The Powers seemed to take you so far and then STOP leaning or you are up on the edge. Again, just an OBSERVATION as I have not ridden them. Then also seem to leave alot of themselves on the track when compared to other tires, and that seems like WET PAINTING rather than heated sticking. "Greasy" is the term I've read, heard and seen. No fun to me.

I got my M3s put on right before a track day AND at the same time as an engine rebuild, so while I was breaking in tires, I was really paying atten to my engine and not the tires. On the track, they stuck fine, I never felt they were going to slip out - at SOME point ALL tires will slip out doe to rider error... but these stuck fine and I railed on corners and powered on straits with no slip. I have about 600 miles on them now and they seem as good as the rest on the bumpy roads, no better no worse, to me.

Like I said, maybe I shoul dnever review tires. They do at LEAST what I expected them too. They did not deliver less or I would be telling you all. I ride fairly hard most of the time, hammering full pinned throttle in 1, 2nd and where safe, 3rd, 4th etc etc. They haven't let me down and I will give them a 10. If it got less than a 10, I would be pulling them off and trying something else or going back to my trusty Diablos
smile.gif

middle_1143978558.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "fixed pic"|1153671921 -->

I'm wit ya....I like my M3's just fine. They out-perform the M1's and if they wear better, they'll be my tire. I may have 400 miles on mine, no track time, just railing in the country. I have noticed, as stated before, I am faster in the corners then I was on the M1's....and to my individual delight, the M3's are not showing the usual wear patterns associated with the M1's. Maybe I'll get more then 2500 out of my rear. Tire that is.....

Well they are supposed to work better than the M1's and provide longer life...

So, WWJD give them some love over the long haul and lets see what kind of milage you get. I think this is where Metzler is trying to make big gains.

Any input on wet weather performance compared to the Michelin P.P. ?

Just went from the Metzler to the Powers this past weekend myself, and I think I stick with these for a while.

<!--EDIT|busa1300nut
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150855078 -->

Any input on wet weather performance compared to the Michelin P.P. ?
I almost never ride in the rain unless totally caught in it, then I usually pull over. You can see in the pic, the M3s have deep, wide grooves, so I suspect they do fine in rain.

Seems to me that ALL tires of late are really, really good and out perform a good majority of riders abilitys - so, TO ME, that makes them all just as good as each other, but in different flavors as chosen by the individuals tastes.

If I get stuck in the rain, I'll post my tests. Usually I'll hammer it in 2nd and 1st to see when it breaks loose. My old Diablos faired VERY WELL in that test - in 1/4 to 1/2 inch rain running across the pavement

I may need to try the M3s. I have M1s on right now - used them at the track with WWJD. They worked great! I ran @ 30 psi and never once felt like they were gonna break loose. Heck - I scraped both peg feelers, my kickstand AND my right-side fairing!

If the M3s are supposed to be better - I can't wait to try them!

I've got 3000 miles on the M1s and I'm just about ready for a new rear tire; front's still good.

I did all that typing... so I bumped it, so more people could suffer through reading it
smile.gif

What was your opinion of the Z6's?

I just had them on yesterday and can only say that they are new and responsive, if a bit harder than the Conti Force MAX was.

I'll throw my two cents worth in on this one. I just spooned on a set of the M3’s a few weeks ago and so far am pretty happy with them. Each tire took just over ¼ oz of lead to balance and I set them both at 42psi. Only issue I had was my own fault as I mounted them up and then my first chance to actually ride em was on the way to work the next morning in the light rain. I had a bit of a sideways moment on the way to work trying to take it easy until I ground through the mold release on the new tires. Then the same afternoon it was really pouring and I rode across one of our Plastic/rubber railroad crossings and it broke loose again. I was thinking WTH is going on. But after a good dry day and a few spirited romps down the local farm roads they are scuffed pretty well and the wet weather performance is now excellent! So I guess breaking in new tires in the rain is one to cross off my list of stupid stuff to do!

As far as impressions go the profile is entirely different. The 190 rear tire is almost a full half inch narrower than the BT56 it replaced and much more rounded as you would expect from the narrower tire. The front seems to be a much rounder profile but similar width to the BT56. The turn in with these things is far removed (quicker) from the BT56’s. Stability is awesome and grip is superlative so far. For some reason I am scuffing these things a bit differently than the “Stonesâ€. The BT56’s seemed to be scuffed (about 1/8†chicken strips) about the same front and rear, whereas the M3 rear is scuffed to about 1/8†from the edges and the front still has a half inch of unused tread on the sides? I am feeling a little inadequate all of a sudden! And I know I am cornering harder than ever because I am merrily grinding the feelers on my footpegs (to say nothing of my toes) into dust, where I wasn’t before. Straight line acceleration is excellent though not my usual deal. I try to do my most aggressive riding in the corners. They seem to be a tad harsher than the Bridgestone’s on the freeway expansion joints, though it is hard to tell because our roads are such crap! I have close to 700 miles on them now so I am hoping that the rear will last me through the summer but so far they seem to be holding up well!

ew! 42 PSI in the RAIN! might as well but ICE SKATES on your bike.
wink.gif

I do like round tire profile as oposed to the V shaped ones.... just makes me feel I am getting more even surface instead of a lot at a certain lean - then nothing

ew!  42 PSI in the RAIN!  might as well but ICE SKATES on your bike.  
wink.gif

I do like round tire profile as oposed to the V shaped ones.... just makes me feel I am getting more even surface instead of a lot at a certain lean - then nothing
Well if I weighed 150lbs like some of the lighter dudes ( I don't! not even close) I would consider running the low (30-32psi) pressures I have read about on here. I am considering droppping a pound or two of pressure or maybe backing off on compression damping to smooth out the ride a little bit on the highway but 36psi is about as low as I go on the street. I figured the stockers worked well at 42psi and thats what Suzuki recommended and it seems to be a decent baseline for me. And these things work quite well in the rain so far.

Hey you guys..how about an update on your M3s , mainly what kind of life you got or are getting out of them.

thanks

Hey BIG OLe' WWJD, Try this.

I am allways one to follow the guidlines in the Owners manual.

BUT when I was sitting in Metzler school one of the things I found was that Metzler recommends FAR different pressures for their tires than what Suzuki recommends.

Well, Once I learned that Metzler's Engineers tested and recommend the following I gave it a shot, and it's a revelation in terms of feel and handling. It allmost feels like they are under inflated, but trust me they feel much better and grip better too.

This is true for the Sportec M1's and seeing as the M3's are an evolution I imiagine that they are going to have similar recommendations once they update their website.

So give these a try. I think you'll be pleased.

Metz_Pressures.jpg

Revlis , where did you find that calculator? What are the recommended pressures for my bike?

RTFM? What's that?
biggrin.gif
HA! I'm runing 35 front and rear usually, so I guess I guessed right.

They performed great on the race track - road corse - and seem great around town and in the outback. Equal to the Diablos so far IMHO.

Wear? What's that? ;) I expect to get at LEAST 1500 out of them cuz that seems to be my bottom end on most tires, but usually more.* I don't really notice how good or bad tires wear, I just wear them out and replace them. Like I said, I shouldn't "review" tires. But the M3's are 'ok' to me. I haven't put too many road miles on, maybe 400, cuz I been busy

* I think I had about 4000 on my Strada's but they were not "sport-worthy" at all, just stuck well and lasted too long,,, longest I've seen on my bike so far, but I dont recommend those at all

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153366143 -->

Good enough..so probably about as good as any tire in this class.

their profile is what interests me...it does seem to be a bit rounder than the Pilot Powers do no?

I am like you , ive not tried the PPs.

Its either the M3s or Qualifiers for my next tires.

Though these Bridgestone BT015s are very nice, so are the BT014s.

I put M3's on my wife's 03 Busa about a month ago.
I've been running M1's on my 04 Busa for about 3K miles and really cant tell any difference in my bike and hers.
Allthough I tend to hold back a little when riding the Wife's bike cause if something were to happen.............

Dont even want to go there!!!

looking at Ron ayers which has about the cheapest tires online.
The m3 190 is $148 but the 180 is $127.
I currently have the pilot powers 190 rear.
is the 190 THAT big of a differance wise?
Michael

Back