Was Feeling Like A Big Shot...and Then....

Is it advisable to go ahead and "rough up" the inch or so of tread out to the edge of the tire with some Scotch Brite or sand paper since that area has never seen use yet?
I don't plan on actually getting all the way to the edge of these tires, I'm just asking in case I want to do that to the new q3's when I put them on.
Maybe a dumb or senseless effort, but I just thought I'd ask:banana:

You can use a belt sander if you're that desperate to remove the so-called chicken strip...but no I wouldn't worry about it.

In practical terms, for pure road use it's common to have a chicken strip of some sort, for I'd be wondering how much a squid a rider is who runs the tyre all the way to the edge on a Busa used somewhat legally on public roads. The 190/50 will have a smaller chicken strip than the 190/55 that's used the same way.

To gain confidence in learning to lean further, just attend a track based training day. Oh and the OEM Bridgestones are plenty sticky to do this on.

Reactions: Tb3
You can use a belt sander if you're that desperate to remove the so-called chicken strip...but no I wouldn't worry about it.

In practical terms, for pure road use it's common to have a chicken strip of some sort, for I'd be wondering how much a squid a rider is who runs the tyre all the way to the edge on a Busa used somewhat legally on public roads. The 190/50 will have a smaller chicken strip than the 190/55 that's used the same way.

To gain confidence in learning to lean further, just attend a track based training day. Oh and the OEM Bridgestones are plenty sticky to do this on.

Im definetly planning on doing a class for the track soon, i think it would be a very good experiance for me.
Ill leave the chicken strips alone then, :beerchug:
somebody posted the vid of the guy on the brand new bike skidding out on the brand new tread and it got me all nervous, lol!
This evening I've been adjusting the front and rear suspension per jinksters thread to get a good baseline. I've definitely got the rear feeling alot better, but I've got the the forks all the way tightened down and they still feel like they could have a bit stronger springs. I'm probably right at 185 lbs in full gear. They don't feel sloppy or like their low on fluid, just weak.
I guess that's another thing to add to the list.

At 185 in gear you should be able to get the preload right for you. I am close to 240 in gear and I got mine set for me. Not perfect but close.

You may need to increase your compression or slow down the rebound. Don't worry about number of clicks that someone else uses, you have to set it for you and the roads you ride.

Thanks nosbig! Good to know. I have the rebound and dampening set one click faster than the factory recomendation. I hopefully get to ride tommorow and can go from there.

It will take you a few rides to set the rebound and compression. Once you get a feel for what each does you will be able to fine tune it to stick well, for your riding style.

I'm around 190 lbs in gear
On my gen2, on the rear shock,
for the preload, I had 3 threads visible above the top lock ring.
That should be a good starting point for your weight.
I was also able to get low to mid 30's mm
on the sag with stock suspension.

Garage sag is what you want, and fine tuning on the side of the road like Nosbig said.
It can be changed even one click, and you can tell.

I also later changed from stock 5w fork oil to 7w. To me, it made the forks feel less flimsy, more stable, even with the same sag and settings.

Are you adjusting the tops and the bottoms of the forks?

yes. and I straight up admit this is my first bike that has 6 adjustments on the front forks whereas I'm used to only haveing the option to change springs, so no doubt going to take some trial and error till I get it where I like it.

I'm around 190 lbs in gear
On my gen2, on the rear shock,
for the preload, I had 3 threads visible above the top lock ring.
That should be a good starting point for your weight.
I was also able to get low to mid 30's mm
on the sag with stock suspension.

Garage sag is what you want, and fine tuning on the side of the road like Nosbig said.
It can be changed even one click, and you can tell.

I also later changed from stock 5w fork oil to 7w. To me, it made the forks feel less flimsy, more stable, even with the same sag and settings.

good to know! I'm going for the first ride tonight since messing with it. changing the fork oil is a good point I didn't even think of. I will definetly try that if I don't get it where I want after a month or so of trying to dial it in.

There are several good youtube videos out there that will help you get a good idea of what you need to do as well.

There are several good youtube videos out there that will help you get a good idea of what you need to do as well.

My front rider sag is 31mm, and both spring pre-load adjusters are tightened all the way in clockwise. The article I read say the target for the street is 30mm. That's another reason why I was thinking the springs could be to weak. Should I shoot for a higher number (mid 30s?) like where sixpack77 is at?

I can't remember what I set mine at. I belive it was as Sixpack said, low to mid 30's. Just ride it and play with it a bit, you will notice a difference and what works for you.

Rule of thumb I always heard was
30-35mm track
35-40mm street
Reason being, tracks are smooth, streets have bumps
I think my bikes felt like they handled better with a lower number, but a little bumpier ride.
It's a trade off, and depends on where you ride.
I shoot for mid 30's, and road side fine tune from there.

Sounds good! Thanks guys. I'm gonna back them off and raise my number a bit before the next ride. I ended up not riding last night. My new v&h cs1 slip ons came in the mail yesterday so I got all excited and started the install. I now understand with what everybody is saying about the weight, lol!
It felt like just one stock muffler was heavier than the entire box the v&hs was delivered in:beerchug:

Reminds me of when I got my Brocks Short Meg full system and compared it to a stock can.:laugh:

newbike024.jpg

Just a follow up. I went for my first ride since messing with the suspension last saterday and after a couple miles I realised very quickly I goofed up bad, lol. The front end literally felt like it was bouncing like a basketball going over every little bump in the road. Which is good in one sense I would think cause it shows you guys are right on about my weight should easily be within the stock springs capabilites. When I got back home that evening I backed off the tensioner nuts for the springs and the ride was much better. The day was kind of a bummer cause I was off to ride with a couple guys and didn't want to be late, so I just rode slow all day.
I was told of a place local I had no idea existed and all they do is build and set up motorcycle suspensions. For $30 I can drop by with the busa and they will set up everything for me while on the bike. As smart as you guys are I'm sure I could eventually get it sorted out by myself and asking/reading here, but I figure for $30 it's worth it to jump ahead to a good starting point right off and get a little face to face and hands on with somebody local.
Thanks guys for all your input!
One other thing the day wasnt a total dissapointment. I love the sound of my new exhaust and another mod I just did was install steel braided front brake lines. I definetly felt a improvement, not night and day differance, but definetly enough to make me feel a little better about fast braking with the skill I'm currently at.
I came across a thread here on the site and somebody mentioned the tie-wrap around the brake lever and sit overnight trick. I never heard of that, and WOW!!! Next morning I burped each side and the lever has barely any travel past the brake switch, lol!
Awesome stuff!

Back