PCIIIr - PCIII USB - or Bazazz

kayabusa

Registered
I wanted to get some of you guy's opinions. I bought a PCIIIr off of Ebay for about 150 bucks. Now I'm having second thoughts about using it on my bike. I did some research after I bought it and saw a few negative opinions on it. Some have written that those older units were undependable.:boohoo: I'm thinking about just listing it back on Ebay and then buying a PCIII USB or Bazazz unit. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, that have tried the PCIIIr? Also, has anyone tried the Bazzaz and is it all that it's cracked up to be?

I think the Bazazz unit with the auto map unit would be pretty slick but it is not for the novice... you need to understand fuel mapping to some extent.. Talk to Greg at HPW.. I think he has some good info on it and I may be buying the unit from him before xmas gets here...

I would go with PC for the simple fact that there's more knowledge floating around.

Bazazz with the self mapping add on is the way to go and better IMO because it can control all eight injectors and the PC can't.

a few things you need to take into account:

who is local you can have do tuning work
how often are you making changes (need for re-mapping)
how much in engine mods are you planning
how much do you want to be able to change

If all you are doing is hanging a pipe on the bike and riding it, you may be able to just get someone that can patch into the OEM box and reset the map..

PC3 many dyno operators have Tuning link software that can set the base map pretty quickly and then the tuner tweaks it around..

Bazaaz W/mapping I have not used this but it uses an o2 sensor and data logging to make mapping suggestions to keep the bike on the A/F mixture you want.. easily the most versatile type system (closed loop) and the most expensive.. But you get what you pay for.. I would speak to Greg (HPW) and let him give you some coaching on what will work best for you.. He has been right up front with me on my ideas..

Thanks for the info guys! How do I contact Greg at HPW? The one reason I'm considering the Bazazz is because Charles at HFD1 Motorsports in Buford, GA said that he's tuned a couple of bikes with the Bazazz and they turned out pretty good.

it does but you already have a decent fuel management tuner for an 02-07. the Bazazz works better on an 08.
why spend more money? just use what you have and the money you saved, spend for a good tuner.:thumbsup:

If you have a 1st gen busa then stick with the PC. Your not going to gain anything by using the bazzaz over it. The Bazzaz is great for the 08 though. The auto mapping is not as great as you think. Just get a pc and find a good local tuner to do you a great map. Tuning link is great for basic tuning but that is not the final step of making a great custom map. If your tuner is only using it and charging for a custom map then your not getting a full tune. There are a lot of old school tuners who don't want to use this but they are just hard headed.

Has anyone used the Power Commander IIIR, not the USB version? Can somebody give me some feedback on it?

I guess you don't read much or you are hardheaded.
I think it is just a case of not knowing what he does not know if that makes sense...

Sort of goes along with as I learn more, I realize how much I do not know..

He will either learn all about all the systems as well as the stock system and make a good choice or be completely confused by the variety :)

Some are not content to hear things and just do them (I have NEVER met a racer that was or a good tuner for that matter)... If you aspire to be a crew chief, you get used to doing things that "Cant be done" or at the least breaking a lot of stuff...

So he can take the short road or the long road... :) I would suggest the short road here :whistle:

Well guys, I ended up installing the PC IIIR that I got off of Ebay. Thanks for helping me with the install JohnnyCheese!:thumbsup:It seems to work fine. It's mapped for a pair of Yosh slip ons and a K&N air filter. I have a full system Yoshi and no air filter. I've got to get a serial to USB connector so I can load the correct map. From the trip that I just took down the road, it seems as if I did see a slight improvement in throttle response.:colgate: I did not hook up the wire that controls timing though.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to do a few more mods - Air Box Mod, Pair Valve Blockoff-(Not sure if this is done yet or not?), BMC Air Filter, and maybe a couple of more. I'm also going to change the spark plugs and fuel filter. I want to do all of this before I get it dynoed so I'll only have to get it dynoed once.

Thanks again for the advice guys!

I just got my bazzaz in for my 08 last week and did a full map with it. It definitly is way better than the power commander in many ways. Being able to map both set of injectors is the best part of it. I added a dry shot on the bike that would normally be two big for one pc but the bazzaz added the additional fuel easy. Injector duty cycle was really low and my a/f ratio is just as clean as it was on motor. Straight line all the way through redline. I'm pretty much going with the bazzaz for all my future customers with the 08-09 busa. If you haven't bought anything for your bike yet go with the bazzaz hands down. Power commander needs to step their game up or they will get ran over.

Last edited:
Back