PCIII USB or PCIIIr?

bch3779

Registered
After a visit to Dynojet's site I see they now have the PCIII USB available for '02-'04 Busas. I am deciding more towards the USB because you can add a seperate module for ignition timing for future mods. I originally planned to buy the PCIIIr but felt I had no use for the timing adjustment capability. After looking at several of Dynojet's maps they do not touch the timing. My main question is when do you need to consider timing adjustments. I have an '03 that I'll be doing slip-ons and that's about it. I have no tuner shops near me and rely more on maps I can download. Also, I was going to consider a TRE to help smooth things out but will the fuel mapping adjustments by the PC alone be good enough. (don't care about limiter being rised)

I prefer the pc3r why not have the capability? ya never know. also I felt a considerable difference w/my TRE not necessarly hp, but it brought the bike to life. Very crisp response and overall ridability

After a visit to Dynojet's site I see they now have the PCIII USB available for '02-'04 Busas. I am deciding more towards the USB because you can add a seperate module for ignition timing for future mods. I originally planned to buy the PCIIIr but felt I had no use for the timing adjustment capability. After looking at several of Dynojet's maps they do not touch the timing. My main question is when do you need to consider timing adjustments. I have an '03 that I'll be doing slip-ons and that's about it. I have no tuner shops near me and rely more on maps I can download. Also, I was going to consider a TRE to help smooth things out but will the fuel mapping adjustments by the PC alone be good enough. (don't care about limiter being rised)
I don't know what to tell you on the USB vs. IIIR decision but I can tell you that a PC with a good map will improve driveability dramatically compared to a stock busa. If you don't need to de-restrict your busa I'd leave the TRE off and just go with the PC and a good map.

The PCIIIr and USB both allow for timing adjustments. That is why you buy them. The timing is retarded 5 degrees in the first 3 gears from the factory. Man, after you put on the PC it's like a new bike.
cool.gif

hey cool, usb only controls fuel delivery pc3r handles fuel and ignition, you can even set trim to each cylinder. Im not saying you will need all this but for a little xtra cash you can really fine tune if you ever need to. The usb has cool add ons coming to.

So, Which one did you purchase? If the USB what map are you using?

<!--EDIT|Smoke_Dog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077453930 -->

I went for the PCIIIUSB. The software is better and you can do more with it. Also, if by some strike of luck I hit the lottery and can afford a turbo I can always purchase a seperate timing module to add on to it. Dynojet will be making different modules.....most will be able to interface with the PCIIIUSB for the Busa. As far as the map.......I have Micron bolt-ons and Micron modified an Arrow Bolt-on map which they say should get me "more than close". We'll have to see. Not like it's going to be that big of a deal anyway.....there just bolt-ons. But I do feel the Power Commander smoothed things up a bit....throttle response is great.

I just ordered the PC111usb, this is Dynojets latest technology, and has upgrade capability along with simple plug in add on modules. For example, there is a load cell sensor that can be placed in shift linkage rod which can tell the PC3 when you are shifting and allows clutchless AND full throttle upshifts, software can be set to only use this when above certain rpms, such as only when you shift over 8000rpm anything below that it would operate normal. this can all be done by just changing your shift rod and plugging it in! Dynojet also says, they will have other "plug ins" available in fall of this year.... I just hope these add ons don't cost a mint!

Curtis, I can confirm your info.  I just went to the local PC dyno tuner and they told me all the same things you just mentioned.  The USB is basically the newest version of the IIIr.  The shift upgrade works by backing the spark off by 1/100th of a second or something like that at whatever rev you preset.  Pretty cool!  The tuner was gushing over it quite a bit, he's a gear head and this IIIr is his "new baby" to work on.   Soooo, the date is set for april 12.  PC USB dyno tune time!  (kinda bummed...guy said if i got there in the morning instead of 2pm, i would have gotten an appointment a full week earlier...busy saturday for those guys!)  They do a full front to back nut and bolt tighening, cable lubing, fuel system cleaning, anti freeze powerflush, oil and filter change, and chain clean/lube/tighten for just under 2 bills, not bad if you dont have a ton of time to work on it yourself.  The suzuki dealer is a rip off, and this shop does all the stuff by factory spec.   Anyway, Ive got the Brock Racing pair mod on the way.  Im having the shop install the pair mod and doing the dyno tune all at once since theyre also doing the spring tune-up already.  If theyve got it all apart, ill pay them to do everything at one time, THEN do the tune after.  cant wait....the D and D pipes have the bike stuttering pretty good at low revs and backfiring like crazy on the downshifts.  That pair valve has GOT TO GO!

Where is the cheapest place to find the pcIIIusb?? I am going to get one in april, then I am going to get a NOS kit and controller. I have the switchable TRE, so when I run the NOS I just have to turn that off.

You can add an ignition adjustment moduleto the USB model later down the road but for relatively stock bikes, you dont need it. Ignition work isnt really necessary til you get into internal engine mods. The USB is also cheaper than the IIIr so why pay for features you dont need?? What if you NEVER need ignition timing? youve wasted money on the IIIr you coulda spent on some other mod! Plus the USB has the shifter module which the IIIr cant offer. There no telling what other modules will be available in the future.

Back