pc3 usb dead

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
hey guys i know i dont post alot but a quick question. i took the bike out to wash it today (pc3 is under the hump i had the seat on) and i quick washed it by hand to take my daughter to bike night. i started the bike to get it out of the garage and moved it to where i was washing it. i washed it. (no soak down just quick wet with hose and hand wash with a rinse and quick spray wax/buff) i get my daughter (who just returned from south carolina to me for the summer) all dressed up (she is 14) and the bike would not start. i took off the seat and my hump area was dry except just a little damp on the velcro that held the pc3. otherwise it was dry. i turned on the key and no lights on pc3 and i was getting the f1 error on the dash after trying to start. so i plugged in a 9volt to the pc3 (yes i keep all the usb and the 9v covers on it all the time except when loading or verifying the map. dead. so i called power commander and he talked to me and wanted me to try a brand new 9 v (duracell) i tried it while he was on the phone and again no lights. he suggested unplug pc3 and i did so while he was on the phone and it started right up. soooooooo the point of my thread is that they are supposibly issueing me a return so they can bench test and replace (he even suggested to blow it out with compressed air and i could remove the back...lol nothing there but grey stuff and sure was no water) so my question is i have my hmf high mounts on my 06le with small air box mod... will running the bike with these mods untill they get me a replacement effect anything?

same thing happened to my 3R. Ended up that a pins on one of the connections had worked its way loose.
Check all of your connections and grounds.

I've heard of brand new Power commanders being dead right out of the box. The way I figure it is that they're mass produced electronics and your bound to get some crappy ones. Bolt-on another and ride.

I've heard of brand new Power commanders being dead right out of the box.  The way I figure it is that they're mass produced electronics and your bound to get some crappy ones. Bolt-on another and ride.
I've installed probably close to 1000 power commanders and have yet to come in contact with one that had to go back to Dyno Jet.

The most I ever had to do was reset one, install latest firmware, or reset the Mini USB pins as one or two weren't all the way out to connect properly.

Not saying it's not possible for a PC to come not working brand new, just stating I think with as many as they sell they have a pretty good ratio of working ones.

uhhh you can reset a usb one. i put the new battery on it and connected it to the pc it still dead. and computer didnt recognize it

Week ago I tried flashing the 1999-2000 Hayabusa akropovic map to my new PCIII usb from my desktop computer and 9 volt battery hookup on the PCIII. first try, one light on the PCIII lights up and then nothing. Computer software says it's disconnected. Try another 9 volt battery and this time it recognizes it. I'm thinking it should work ok now and i'm taking my time checking out some of the software features when suddenly the PCIII lights flicker off and software says it's disconnected. So i try 2 other 9 volts that are fully charged and still nothing. Check the batteries and yes they're good on charge. Reconnect all cables and still nothing. Finally Pull a fresh new 9 volt out and this time it lights up. I quickly flash the map onto the PCIII and then wait to see if it'll puke out. Nope. Shut down the software and disconnect/reconnect everything a few times and the map is still on the unit and it didn't konk out like beforehand.

Was gonna install the PCIII and pipe last weekend but storms hammered through here leaving me without power and internet for 5 days (thank GOD that's all that happened with all the damage throughout the city and peoples homes) . Figured it's best to wait to have online troubleshooting access as well as having a fully lit garage to do the work with. Candles and flashlights wouldn't bode to well i think. Hope to God my PCIII works better on the bike then it did in front of my desktop PC though.

according to power commander only fresh 9v do the best due to its set to work on a 12v system and 9v's drain quickly. ill update more tomorrow once i call them to see what they want to do

Week ago I tried flashing the 1999-2000 Hayabusa akropovic map to my new PCIII usb from my desktop computer and 9 volt battery hookup on the PCIII. first try, one light on the PCIII lights up and then nothing. Computer software says it's disconnected. Try another 9 volt battery and this time it recognizes it. I'm thinking it should work ok now and i'm taking my time checking out some of the software features when suddenly the PCIII lights flicker off and software says it's disconnected. So i try 2 other 9 volts that are fully charged and still nothing. Check the batteries and yes they're good on charge. Reconnect all cables and still nothing. Finally Pull a fresh new 9 volt out and this time it lights up. I quickly flash the map onto the PCIII and then wait to see if it'll puke out. Nope. Shut down the software and disconnect/reconnect everything a few times and the map is still on the unit and it didn't konk out like beforehand.

Was gonna install the PCIII and pipe last weekend but storms hammered through here leaving me without power and internet for 5 days (thank GOD that's all that happened with all the damage throughout the city and peoples homes) . Figured it's best to wait to have online troubleshooting access as well as having a fully lit garage to do the work with. Candles and flashlights wouldn't bode to well i think. Hope to God my PCIII works better on the bike then it did in front of my desktop PC though.
Your best bet is to get a 9-volt ac wall adapter with a 9-volt type cap plug. You plug it into the wall and you can run the pc on or off the bike for as long as you need. And you never get corrupted maps from a battery dying. I picked an adapter up from wal-mart I think for 10 bucks...has worked on my pc's for years with never a glitch.

Thanks for the advice guys!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

ok after my post of last night i left it alone... got up this morning and called jay ad dynojet (when i said my name he was Oh was just calling you lol) so i talked to him and for giggles i decided to plug in the battery again and BAMMMMM she lights up. man am i pissed missed a bike night with my daughter... so i test it on the computer..map there no issues and he waits for me to reinstall it on the bike while on the phone...no issues... he suggests that sometimes some will ziplock baggie it while washing but otherwise its a rare occasion one does what mine did. he did say that after day or two if it does they usually come back to life.
beerchug.gif

ok.... scratch that... dead again.. and i have figured it out. if it was cool ie garage then once i washed it in the driveway and it sun dried the unit got warm. then once i brought it in after 15 mins in the ac.. it cooled and worked...put it back on the machine...after starting the bike in the driveway and out in the sun.... it quit. took it inside and hung it infront of the ac...10 min later it worked..so after this i called dynajet and they gave me a return and i mailed it overnight to them. hopefully it will be looked at...they said within the week. so i can run the bike but not alot given the lean condition it would be in.

its been a week and i called dyno jet.. they said they bench tested the unit and found nothing wrong with it. i asked them if they "heated" the unit and jay assured me they put it on a hot plate. they elected to send me a new unit as a sign of good faith. (mine was a model number 312-411 and the unit they sent was a 312-410 with sticker on side saying for 312-411) i recieved it and before takeing it to the bike i hooked it up to the computer and it recognized the unit and listed the s/n that matched the signal. according to the paperwork they said they transfered the map but it did not "automaticly" pull its map and going through 1 ran to the store and bought 9v along with 3 others i had that never were used duracell batterys it kept saying error in either getting map or sending map.. if i used accelerator pump it gives "failure to connect to device 0" windows error. i tried 3 diffrent cords. connected unit to the bike, started the bike, attached with bike started the 9 volt.. used all the combinations i could think of (includeing installing software to a second computer to try to use that computer to upload) all with the same error... error in sending or retriving map. and failure to connect to device 0 with accel pump program... help what am i doing wrong here?
rock.gif

ok called dynojet .. i was using older version of software. i updated my computer...all working well..thanks for the help all

Back