PC3 Maps?

So Greg and any others that are more educated about dyno tuning and all related factors,

What do we need to "look for" when we are searching for a good dyno tuning facility....?
rock.gif
(i.e. at least a certain type of dyno, what type facility, training, etc.???)

I am about to go do a custom tune and map but hate to just "throw" my money away on some place that "is a tuner just because he has a dyno machine"...

No disrespect to any tuners out there, just don't want to get taken advantage of just because I don't know any better...
Thanks for any help here...

100_3707copy.jpg

Training is a great perk and there should be some certificates on the wall. In our case we went over board, sent tuners to AZ to take the basic class and advanced class at MMI, also had a certified tuner instructor from Dynojet come instruct in a one on one setting at our facility and after the first three months we can head out to Dynojet to become an official "Dynojet Tuning Center". My initial experience was on a Land and Sea dyno....The shops we will open will have the same training standards to include the top of the line, Dynojet 250i along with a sound and climate controlled room. Also look for tuned bikes on hand with before and after dyno charts, most of all, "word of mouth" goes a long way. Usually anal guys make pretty good tuners, the type that won't stop until it is as good as it get's...thats what I would look for in your shoes.

So seeing as how this site has many bikes with custom maps, why can't this happen? MC, somebody?!?
rock.gif

Obviously with so many bikes, there might be 10 with for instance slip-ons and a K&N filter, and 10 different altitudes and locations so with a little common sense someone could pick one to use for a good baseline tune until they have a chance for a dyno tune.

The more contributors the more permutations and MUCH better selection than dynojet.com! Especially with them ALL (mostly) Busa's.
cool.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 21 2006,03:flamethrowing:) Custom maps are for a SPECIFIC BIKE...they aren't gonna work any better than one from a download  
ices_rofl.gif
dynojet doesnt even have a map for most of the mods we do so if some one has similar mods and a costom map there would have to be some improvment unless I missed the k&n air filter small air box mod tre shorty pipe and big bore map on the DJ website.

(spkerhed @ Dec. 31 2006,17:23)
(BA BUSA @ Dec. 21 2006,03
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Custom maps are for a SPECIFIC BIKE...they aren't gonna work any better than one from a download  
ices_rofl.gif
dynojet doesnt even have a map for most of the mods we do so if some one has similar mods and a costom map there would have to be some improvment unless I missed the k&n air filter small air box mod tre shorty pipe and big bore map on the DJ website.
Dynojet expects that anything more than a pipe and air filter to get a custom map done. Most of those maps are done utilizing a program called Data-Link or they were sent in by an exhaust manufacturer. I personally don't think a map library is the way to go. How do you know what you are really using and the source. Custom maps are pretty cheap, way cheaper than the exhaust you spent 1K on. I would spend the extra doe to get it right for my bike like I have done in the past numerous times.

Thanks as always Greg...I have one tuner listed here in Mississippi (about an hour and a half north of me) that is listed as "certified" by the Dynojet site. His specialty is harleys but I spoke with him on the phone and he says they also do sportbikes...Hope he is being straight up with me-

The reason that I was asking about what to look for is that I just heard of another tuner opening up at another locale close to me but didn't know any of his credentials or training or setup, so I needed some sort of direction....

I'd be all for sharing my maps on this site to my fellow members...just my .02.....Happy New Year to everyone!!

juggernaut1.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Custom maps are for a SPECIFIC BIKE...they aren't gonna work any better than one from a download  
ices_rofl.gif
Every bike is different just like people are different...and the operator, dyno, and the conditions the day the map was made all have a factor in the equation.

My point is that it's BEST to find a EXPERIANCED tuner and have your bike properly tuned.

I dont have a good tuner around here will have to wait till summer and ride some where may be kansas city or something but to borrow one till then would be nice Im running a map for bolt ons and stock filter and that cant be doing my bike any justice (I was just messin with ya BA dont mean to ruffle your feathers
poke.gif
)

(spkerhed @ Dec. 31 2006,17:34) I dont have a good tuner around here will have to wait till summer and ride some where may be kansas city or something but to borrow one till then would be nice Im running a map for bolt ons and stock filter and that cant be doing my bike any justice
Well check with Goldenchild or Johnnycheese...they can work out a map for you and then email it
wink.gif

I think it would be cool just to compare maps from bikes with the same mods just for entertainment purposes (bathroom reading) and for those who can't get to a tuner right away because of money or distance.

my 02

lurk.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 31 2006,19:flamethrowing:)
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
ices_rofl.gif
Every bike is different just like people are different...and the operator, dyno, and the conditions the day the map was made all have a factor in the equation.

My point is that it's BEST to find a EXPERIANCED tuner and have your bike properly tuned.
EVERYBODY understands a custom tune is best.

Beating_a_dead_horse.gif

As the point was just made intelligently above, distance or finances often being at least a temporary obstacle- a good baseline map, hence a good library of same online in this forum would quite often be a help to many members here.

Can everyone agree to that?

I have a true twisty carver's baseline map for:

Tsukigi Spec II Race
BMC Race Filter
Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch
Short Velocity Stacks
GI-Pro
Brisk Racing Plugs
Small Airbox mod
Royal Purple "Max Cycle"
16/41 Gearing w/520 Chain Conversion Kit
at 290 feet above Sea Level
Produced 172 HP. and 102 foot pounds of Torque
***Also had BST wheels fitted at the time***

If you have this combo give me a shout....

Thor.jpg

(GPW @ Jan. 01 2007,09:04) I have a true twisty carver's baseline map for:

Tsukigi Spec II Race
BMC Race Filter
Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch
Short Velocity Stacks
GI-Pro
Brisk Racing Plugs
Small Airbox mod
Royal Purple "Max Cycle"
16/41 Gearing w/520 Chain Conversion Kit
at 290 feet above Sea Level
Produced 172 HP. and 102 foot pounds of Torque
***Also had BST wheels fitted at the time***

If you have this combo give me a shout....
I WISH I had that combo!
biggrin.gif
bowdown.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 31 2006,17:flamethrowing:)
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
ices_rofl.gif

+1

(Shibumi @ Dec. 31 2006,20:38)
(BA BUSA @ Dec. 31 2006,19
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
)
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
ices_rofl.gif

EVERYBODY understands a custom tune is best.

Beating_a_dead_horse.gif

As the point was just made intelligently above, distance or finances often being at least a temporary obstacle- a good baseline map, hence a good library of same online in this forum would quite often be a help to many members here.

Can everyone agree to that?
I don't think the principle of it is in dispute but two things have been clearly pointed out.

1. The value of a baseline map may not be sufficient to justify the time and effort it would take to put up a database of maps.

and

2. Baseling maps are already pretty much available on the PC web site (though they are admittedly very basic.)

I suppose if I needed a map, I'd probably come here to try to find one but knowing that the PC site has 'em, I wouldn't lose much sleep not finding it here.

Bottom line is, no matter where you go for a map, you're going to WANT to tweak it.

Just brainstorming.

--Wag--

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

1. I don't know how much trouble it would be- it shouldn't take very much storage space, they are pretty small files.

2. The selection on PC website is VERY limited- I would bet we could put up about 400% more maps for Busa's than they have. For instance, when I put in my BMC race filter they had exactly ZERO maps for BMC filters, race or standard.
rock.gif

You've been around longer than I have Wag, how many threads have you seen asking for a map? I know I've seen a lot just since June, so if it's not a huge ordeal to do it I think it would be a big help.

Back