PC3 or PCV

Mythos

Registered
PC3, PCV or just Bazzaz it

There's some pretty good deals on PC3s out there but is a PC5 going to make enough difference to justify the aditional cost? Brock claims that there is a chance that he may need to tweak his maps a bit for running on the PCV but they are proven on the PCIII.

I'm not the kind of rider that would notice 90% optimization from 100%. Still, I really would enjoy the confidence that I can have 100% and you never know, 3-4 years from now, I might actually feel like I need perfect tuning to squeeze every last speck of performance out of a busa.

Here is what the important differences are between the PC3 & PC5 as far as I am able to acertain:

please note my questions at the bottom of this post.;)

1. MORE COMPACT
Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)

2. SENSITIVE TO MORE SOURCES OF INPUT FROM ENGINE
Gear/Speed input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)

Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)

With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).

3. GREATER RANGE OF ADJUSTMENT
Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes PCIII has a +/-100% range

10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)

Enhanced “accel pumpâ€￾ utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)

4. AUTOTUNE EXPANDABLE
Auto Tune for PCV (all models):
“Auto Tuneâ€￾ kit will be available that includes Wide Band O2 sensor(s) and control box(es). It will plug directly into the PCV and allow automatic fuel adjustments.

How much use would the aditional latitude in adjustment be?

Can autotune be used with the PCIII? It costs about $200 for the autotune expansion.

The PCIII maps for individual cylinders but it does not have the capability to map separately according to gear or to map according to speed. How important are gear position and speed in tuning?

Does a busa suffer much from not having all injectors tuned?

Even with the 8 injector capabilety and autotune, do you think the Bazazz is still a better unit?

If I buy the LCD display, wouldn't I be able to store & switch between a whole bunch of maps whether I had the LCD connected to a PC3 or a PC5?

Mythos

Last edited:
I have an 08 and im looking to buy some method of tuning, and I have some questions about the new PCV if anyone can help me.

First I want to know why the PCV supposedly wont work with the 08's if the 08's and 09's are supposed to be the same bike just different colors. I think I read in a thread on here that there was possibly an ECU switch between the 08 and 09's one with an open loop and one with a closed loop:confused:?

I know there is a company that sells the PCV with something that "retrofits" the PCV to the 08's, but is it really necessary? If the PCV really doesn’t work unless I get the kit that "retrofits" it to the 08 and I went with the PCIII, how great can my tune be with control over only half the injectors????

Bazzaz or pc3 the 5 still only controls the primary so the 3 would be a better deal

Yup, you still have to hook up two PCs to control all injectors. Might as well go with the cheaper unit if you are going to buy two of 'em. One thing, two PCVs will not take up more room than one PCIII. Or just go Bazzaz.

Just tried link on one of the other threads.

....The only thing the PCV can't do is drive eight-injectors. To do this you'd need to daisy chain two PCVs together. Frank Wrathall of Dynojet UK explains: “We can offer eight injector control with a second PCV that is daisy chained through the CAN port. In order to keep the unit as small and cheap as possible we went down this route as the biggest components are the injector drivers and not everyone needs eight-injector control—especially now that we can add up to 250 per cent fuel rather than 100 per cent. This gives everybody a good option and with both units they're still smaller than the old PCIII USB.â€￾

If a stock Gen II is making 180 RWHP than you dont need two PCV before well over 250 RWHP ( the stock fuel pressure/flow is the limit anyway ).

That sounds like that has to be incorrect, Yngve. I wish it were true. Jonny would know a lot more than I do but I don't hear that kind of hp comming out of a bike w/o turbo. Nitrus - maybe??? JMO - I am just starting to learn about all this stuff.

BTW, it seems like people who are questioning the compatability of the PCV to 08 bikes are getting replies confirming the suspicion that there is no dif between the 08 & 09. You can use a PCV on an 08. Dynojet just doesn't want to announce that so they can clear out the PCIII AMAP.

I'm leaning very hard toward the PCV for my 08 ZX-14. It will be Bazzaz for my busa some day soon.

Mythos

I've got an alienhead and PCV inhand. Plan on installing on my 08 next weekend. Will post up if I run into any issues.

I see GB lists his PCIII as "for 08+ busa." So a PC can't be swapped over to another bike if it's a dif make (Kaw)?

Mythos

Whats interesting is I recently rode a busa with a bazazz set-up on it.......and rode one with a pcIII. The only difference I could tell is one guy spent about a grand on his bazazz set up+dyno time. The other guy paid 270 or so for his pcIII with an included map. I thought the super spendy bazazz didn't need a dyno tune, wasn't that the point of the 1000 buck price tag? Otherwise the bikes ran pretty much the same, except the bazazz set up wasn't quite as smooth down low ??? The guy with the bazazz said it wasn't as smooth because nobody knows how to tune it? ...again, I thought it tuned itself??
Hey, if you got the $ spend the $ eh? The economy definately needs a boost :laugh:

The Bazazz self tunes if you buy the $250 AF module and $200 Wideband O2. The PCV Autotune is the Wideband O2 and controller for $250.

So if the PCV claims "Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes", so what's the real deal?

The Bazazz self tunes if you buy the $250 AF module and $200 Wideband O2. The PCV Autotune is the Wideband O2 and controller for $250.

So if the PCV claims "Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes", so what's the real deal?

due to you are only mapping with the 4 primary injectors with the pc3 or 5
you have to add a ton of fuel.
you will have numbers in the 100% of 30 and 40's so with a pc3 you can only put a number of 100 max.
(this would be about 40% or so of duty cycle)
so with the pc5 you could put a number 200 in the column.
unly you are doing something like LSR or serious drag racing for $$$$
the pc3 is all you would need.
I am just pissed that on the new PC5 they did not give a 8% tps tuning or make it tune with 8 injectors:mad2:

I am just pissed that on the new PC5 they did not give a 8% tps tuning or make it tune with 8 injectors:mad2:

^^Agreed. It looks like they tried to make it a little better for 8 injectors but for some reason, they just didn't do what they had to do to make it do what we need. I guess they were focussing on the needs of the whole market and not everyone rides a busa. Looks like the PCV is being marketed heavily toward Harley........not exactly the same kind of bike.

......Then again, as you said, the PC is great unless you need to tap into every last pony hiding in there. I guess if if you get a PC, you can always hook on a second one if you ever find that 1 isn't quite cutting it for racing.

Mythos

I have a brand new PCV that I never installed. And yes, it will work with an 08. $210 shipped. These are $359.95 new through one of the site sponsors. Again, never installed. Call Brian 918-557-9826

I have a brand new PCV that I never installed. And yes, it will work with an 08. $210 shipped. These are $359.95 new through one of the site sponsors. Again, never installed. Call Brian 918-557-9826

That's a good deal right there! :thumbsup:

I have a 2008 with a PCV installed with the D&D map,
need to have Johnnycheese do his magic to it and make get its full H/P potential out of the PCV..
Maybe this winter..
Mike

Back