Painless tire pressure maintenance

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
If you don't own an air compressor, it's a pain to take a gauge to a service station (i.e. convenience store that actually HAS air capability, even if it DOES cost a quarter!), check pressure that's probably in-between cold and hot, and adjust it in that location. I stumbled on the cheap solution just recently...

Pump.jpg

THIS bad boy I think cost me 10-15 dollars for my kid's bike, but will pump up a rear 5 PSI in about 25-30 strokes, fronts less.
smile.gif
Now I can check tire pressure in the comfort of my garage without kneeling in oil stains, my fan blowing cool air on me and not wearing full leathers and helmet, or having to find a safe place to PUT my helmet.
pissed.gif
(You know how if it's not on the ground, guaranteed it will fall!) I set my air pressure cold because through trial and error I know how it will feel after it is hot.

Here's the funny part, this is one badass air gauge-stainless line, heavy rubber shock cover, pressure release to fine-tune, AND a tread depth gauge to boot! Friggin thing retails for $45 (I had a gift card, it was free to me, thank you) but the close-up explains the price...

Recognize the logo?
laugh.gif

Pumpgauge.jpg

Seriously, take your choice of air gauge, but this is a cheap way to take care of a critical aspect of bike performance and safety that is too often ignored because of the inconvenience.
smile.gif

smile.gif

I finally got a small compressor for the garage. Its about the size of a dictionary or law book. Works VERY well for the car and all the bikes w/o having to deal with a gas station. Was under $30 as I recall, at a Target store. Don't know how I did w/o it. Great convenience, and no pumping!
laugh.gif

(CBXRider @ Sep. 11 2007,20:36) I finally got a small compressor for the garage. Its about the size of a dictionary or law book. Works VERY well for the car and all the bikes w/o having to deal with a gas station. Was under $30 as I recall, at a Target store. Don't know how I did w/o it. Great convenience, and no pumping!
laugh.gif
Nice- I'll have to look for one of those!
smile.gif

Back