Tire trouble

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
Yesterday morning the bike felt a little weird as I backed down the driveway so I pulled out my handy-dandy air gauge and started to check the pressure. Weirdly enough, I was able to push the tire in with my thumb. When I checked the pressure, it was at 5 lbs :o Yea, that would explain the weird feeling. I filled the tire figuring on a slow leak and headed to work.

This morning once again the tire was at 5 lbs so I put it up on the stand and found a frigging brad right in the center of the tire. Small 24 hour leak but a leak nonetheless.

I've read the threads on plugging/patching a tire. Considering the location (center), my style of riding, the tire has less than a thousand miles on it, and that I paid about $280 for the tire and mounting, I think I'll just plug the tire and check it out once in a while. Since it's in the center, corners shouldn't affect it and I don't ride real aggressively anyway. I will check it out (I'll mark it) more often just to be sure and will likely replace it earlier than I normally do.

Carl

I would not trust a plugged tire, except to get me home. I know guys that have used them for the remainder of the tire life, even raced on them, but I wouldn't.

I would not trust a plugged tire, except to get me home. I know guys that have used them for the remainder of the tire life, even raced on them, but I wouldn't.
I understand and as I said, I've evaluated my own riding style and don't think the problem is high enough to justify replacing the tire just yet. I will replace it before I normally would though. Especially since I have a trip in October planned. New rubber before I head out this time. No waiting until I'm on the road somewhere and am stuck getting whatever's available
smile.gif

I'm not sure why I posted the original topic. Possibly so someone knows I did it in case of an accident
smile.gif

You know what they say, "maybe your purpose in life is to be a bad example."
smile.gif

Carl

smile.gif

smile.gif

You need a plug/patch combo. Properly installed it will never fail. What worries me is if a cord was damaged by the nail or the awl used to enlarge the hole for the plug. If you get a weak spot the carcass can blow apart at high speeds...especially at the speeds a Busa is capable of reaching. Once a tire has been plugged it looses it speed rating and should never exceed 80 mph.

Personally, if I ever picked up a nail in a brand new tire I'd probably go with the patch/plug combo and save the tire for a long touring trip where I wouldn't be hitting triple digits.

I know a lot of people who run on plugged tires and have not had any problems... but me personally am not comfortable with a plugged tire!! I think you ought to change your tire to... not worth risking a 10k$ bike for $200 in tires
blush.gif

Just my opinion...

I had worked at a Sears Automotive a few years back, yes this was for four-wheeled vehicles, but... Plugs are generaly only rated to max speed of 45-55mph. We would do the plug and patch method that that would earn you up to speeds over 80mph. It has been a while so I can't remeber the top speed rating, but we guaranted them on vetts or other high performance cars. Something else to consider, that as your tire heats-up and expands...that plug has a chance to fall out, especially if not done properly. I have heard stories with this on cars driving at/under the speed limit.....

Back