Over-Heat and throttle splutter!!

OB_GaryHaya13

Registered
I was out yesterday with the lads and we'd done about 90 miles and we headed into a town where we hit heavy traffic for about 10-15 minutes, the temp' needle got to just over 1/2 way and the fan seemed to be cutting in Ok. We got back onto the open road and I grabbed a handfull of throttle in 1st gear, she got upto about 7k revs and started to splutter and wouldn't pull or have anything more to do with that gear so I dropped her into 2nd. the same happened at 7k so I dropped her into 3rd and she was then Ok so I went up the box and into top. I was doing about 130mph and about to go into a corner, after about 2 miles from shifting up, I eased off the throttle and she seemed to die for a couple of seconds and then she picked up again when I demanded more throttle to check her out, I breaked and took her down two for the corner and then wound her back on after the bend and the problem seemed to of cleared. I had no futher problems and she reacted as THE ULIMATE BIKE should.

This is the second time this has happened to the bike over the last couple of days and it only seems to occur after being in heavy traffic for prolonged time, each time I've had plenty petrol in and after a short while, after a good blast, she gets down to normal running temperature and runs great as nothing has happened. She has cut out at roundabouts on two occasions and I've put this down to the same problem.... I've set the idle to just over 1k as I'm at sea level.

The only changes I've made to the bike is put on two 'Simmi' end cans, but that was about 600 miles ago and I've only had the problem over the last 100 miles

It must be something to do with the bike over-heating in some way?

I took the bike to the dealers 'Kens' on Westgate road, Newcastle, UK. They couldn't find anything wrong after two of the fitters took her out.....I can only put it down to they weren't in heavy traffic long enough and the bike didn't have enough time to get hot and bothered!

Any ideas....... Help.... Shes poorly .... and I'm very worried... Is it happening to anyone else????? She's got 3,000 miles on her!

GaryHaya13

Gary, this is only a quess. The computer module has a built in safety feature that limits the rpm to 7500rpm when one of the sensor inputs is out of range.

Gary, have you check the coolant over flow bottle located on the left side, is it at the full mark? Check the radiator when the bike is cool. you will have to remove the right fairing to do this. The temp sensor will limit the rpm when the bike gets hot. You may have a real temp problem with low coolant, or it may just be a sensor that is sending a hot signal just a little to early.

Back