over heating and clattering noise at idle

OB_Bob

Registered
Ron
Suzuki's customer relations dept does SUCK. No tech support either. No manuals, no training of service people yet. They are just getting that scheduled now.
As far as overheating, its good you were competent enough to spot the cooling fan connector on the left side of the bike.
I have a theory as to why many posts on temp come up on this site.(probably not your problem) ONLY A THEORY. It could be a lean idle problem for some. Maybe too small of a fan two would be nice.
It has been 100 degrees lately here in the midwest, and elsewhere from what i have seen on the news.
Anyway, I have posted many times regarding the P commander II, Micron exhaust and latest looking for a torx scredriver for the throttle position sensor adjustment. Mine is out 3%. It says 3% at idle instead of 0%, which is what I am in the process of confriming now. (Yes I am jumping the gun so PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THIS FACT YET)
But, The settings for a stock BUSA fuel map are at 0% throttle: 500 rpm = 0, 1000 rpm 6%, 1500rpm 10%. The 2% throttle settings are : 500 rpm = 0%, 1000 rpm 0%, 1500 rpm = 6%. This means that if your TPS is off like mine + 2-3% then the fuel settings are lower (leaner) at idle on my bike over stock. My bile ran hot in traffic when hot outside, but it would take 10 minutes of idling to climb to the 3/4 way point at whcih I would shut it off. This only happened twice stuck in traffic when it was 90 degrees plus. First time 1st day with the bike, which probably would run hotter being new and tight still.
But, Yesterday I shifted the fuel map settings for 0% throttle also typed them in for 2% throttle, and guess what. My bike seemed to run cooler yesterday at idle in traffic and it was 97 degrees here. Never much over 1/2 way, yes the fan comes on)
Again, I need to confirm some things more and I do have a full system Micron on.
But, i wonder if those bikes that have overheated checked there TPS?
Or maybe I'm just getting way too carried away with this whole subject.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 26 July 1999).]

Hi guys..I purchased by busa the first week of June. After the closing, i decide to ride around town and get the feel of the bike. after riding 12 miles sinced i picked it up from the dealer, the bike started overcheating while i was at a stop light idle...coolant bottle started to gurgle and spurt out coolant..I turned of the engine and pushed the bike to a parking out.Being a 14 yr experience mechanic i know what was wrong. The radiator fan wasn't coming on. I removed the left side fairing and noticed that the radiator fan switch connector was not connected to the fan switch. I connected the connector and the fan came on....However the dealer gave me the run around and would not admit that i repaired the problem...Instead, they in formed me that they replace the thermostat due to a retricted coolant flow...
Concerning the clattering noise issue, I noticed that by putting high quality octane fuel (preferable Chevron) my clattering seems to quite down.
PS...Suzuki's customer relation department SUCKS!!!!!

is everybody checking to see if they have the right amount of coolant?..i always put a switch in to manualy shut off the fan because if it comes on when your at a dragstrip it could affect you by as much as 2 tenths. and that is alot...all you have to do is just keep a eye on your gage to make sure it's not to hot. if it start climbing up just flip the switch..bob's right in most cases the fan wont come on unless it's really hot out..but if your coolant is low your bikes going to over heat all the time...frank

My Busa overheated the first day I got it. The fan didn't seem to come on. I have not had a problem since though.

Back