Hayabusa and Fast Idle

The_Co

Registered
Hello everyone,

I would like to get input of experienced owners before I have to argue this with the dealership any input is appreciated.

I complained to the dealer during 2 of my visits for maintaince that the bike was stalling for no reason. Their fix of the problem was to kick the idle up. The first time it didn't go that high; now the bike is idling at 1,500 to 1,600 RPM.
I never ride in traffic, except for yesterday. Very heavy traffic and the bike started to overheat. I had to shut it down.

Is the idle too high?
Are they just masking another problem by adjusting it to those levels?
Could the overheating be related to the higher idle speed?
Could it just having compounded another problem? Fan, fluids etc.?

I will have the bike checked out, but I would like to know if they're taking me for a ride, so to speak.

Thanks,

-Eric

more back ground on the bike would be usefull...is the bike new? if it is, some times they dont get all the air out of the cooling systems and that will lead to overheating in traffic until you or the dealer gets the air out of the system...the bike should idle at 1100 to 1200 rpms if i'm not mistaken, some engine guru should chime in here soon...the bike idling that high shouldnt cause it to over heat...the fan should kick on to prevent that, i've only had mine since last July and i only heard the fan come on through the summer months, now that its cooler the bike seems to not get hot enough to let the fan come on...does your cooling fan even come on?

The bike was bought new in Feb '05. It has 8700 miles. No modifications. I have not had this problem before. I have heard the fan come on whenever it needed to (usually when I stop at a light). I live in Florida, it's almost always summer. I don't recall if, during yesterday's ride, the fan came on.
Yesterday, before I hit the traffic jam, I rode about 45 mins, between 90 and 120MPH.
I still find the overheating abnormal and I would like to be able to argue this with the mechanics and actually make sense :)

Idle should be set at 1050-1250rpms, ideally 1150rpms.

Even with the idle at 1000rpms, the bike should not stall when rolling off the throttle.

How long since your last service? Could be dirty air filter? spark plugs?

Sorry to thread jack, but could someoner post up a pic of the idle adjustment on a 99.I've got the assembly,just need to know how it bolts on.Thanks.NJ.

Idle should be set at 1050-1250rpms, ideally 1150rpms.

Even with the idle at 1000rpms, the bike should not stall when rolling off the throttle.

How long since your last service?  Could be dirty air filter? spark plugs?
+1. Also, is the bike stock? Any engine mods? Did the bike sit for an extended length of time with the same old gas in it?

I take the bike in regularly for maintainance. I would assume they'd tell me the filter's dirty. I'll ask them to check the spark plugs and bring the idle back down. Maybe check the injectors.

No mods. Completely stock. She gets ridden almost everyday.
It goes 'Busa, Harley then, only then, car.

Back