Cut out fixed........afraid NOT !

OB_BigPete

Registered
Am I unlucky or what ? Got my Busa back last night after dealer has changed fuel filters and adjusted FI system etc etc. The old filter inside the pump was black....you couldn't see light through it.....so I thought "My Busa is back to normal at last".....NOT !
Only did 20 miles of good clean riding then....CUT OUT....5 times in one mile ! This time it was total cut out's whilst riding, which hadn't happened before (previously it spluttered and mis-fired etc)

Am I the only one who has had the 'fix' done....only to find it is worse than before ??

Bring back my old ZX11....I've had enough !

[This message has been edited by BigPete (edited 04 September 1999).]

Hey Pete, was the work done in your bike under warranty? or you had to shell out the bucks? As far as my dealer says, instead of spending money now, wait a bit until Suzuki gets his poop together, and recalls the beast. I am sure by now they know what the problem is.

Pete--Did they change the cartridge filter in the fuel pump or just the clean the strainer in the fuel pump? The filter cartridge is pleated paper and you can never see through it. Part # 15410-24F00 is the cartridge.
There is also a strainer in the fuel tank. I would be sure the tank is cleaned as well. Did they do this?
Bob

Bob, The filter they showed me appeared to be mesh, cylindrical, about 2" long x 1" diameter and slightly tapered (is this just the strainer). The bottom was caked in brown stuff and when held up to the light it was completely opaque. They said it was from inside the pump. Also changed micro filter....but don't know if tank was flushed out. They never mentioned a paper filter ??

It took 4000 miles before my first cut-out problem....then only 20 miles after filter replacement?? Dealers getting it back monday morning....but I think he is puzzled now !!!
Could it be electrical ????

And the weather here at the moment is great biking stuff !! Bummer or what ?

[This message has been edited by BigPete (edited 04 September 1999).]

On this occasion (3rd visit) I haven't been charged anything....yet.
And guess what......I don't think I'll part with any more money (unlike 1st 2 visits) because it ain't fixed yet.

Keep ya all posted.

Pete--I can e-mail you the manual pages for the fuel filters and pump. There is a strainer in the tank, blue framed, one in the fuel pump, and a cartridge filter in the fuel pump made of paper.
I will look for your e-mail or shoot me one at ramair1@flash.net.
Also-- if you have not seen my new post in Mods about the PC2, take a look. Especially if you have a PC2.
Bob
BTW--the manual says if your strainer is clogged you should change the cartridge filter.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 05 September 1999).]

Just picked her up again from the dealer. He says that the fuel line was kinked (probably by them when changing the filters) and he has tried a 'mod' by putting an extra filter in the line which should help it route without bending.
Explanation was...kinked line....fuel pump working hard to get fuel through.... pump overheats and cuts out for safety.
Hopefully do some miles tonight in the Alps....results tomorrow.
FINGERS CROSSED.

Did 45 miles last night and she didn't cut-out once........hope it lasts......did have another problem though.....checkout general discussion thread 'Bloody women Drivers'.

>>BigPete

Great to see that things finally appear to be sorted. It sounds like they did the same thing on your bike to fix the problem that they did on mine. I've done 250 miles since they modified the fuel hose and it hasn't cut-out once yet.

Feels good doesn't it!

Regards
BusOwnerInBlighty

Yes, it feels great again.
I'm back in Blighty later this month, bringing the Busa home before the weather changes here in Zurich. You anywhere near the M1/M6 corridor on sunday 26th ???

>>BigPete

Re: 26th

I'm not ignoring you - I just haven't been able to determine whether the answer to your question is yes or no yet!

I'll be in touch.

Regards

BigPete,

How is the bike holding up now?

Mine just started the cutout on saturday and was doing it constantly (every few hundred yards) from home into the shop (10 miles) this morning. What a pain in the arse. I'm not convinced it's only fuel related. The mechanic thinks it may be the clutch cut-off switch??

The clock reset a couple of times during the cutout too which seemed odd for a fuel problem?

I'm in Dublin by the way so not that far away from you (once you get back from Zurich at least).

Sorehead....bike seems ok now, but haven't done many miles since 2nd fix.
The cut-out every 100 yards is same as me....it was a kinked fuel pipe...tell em to look out for that as well as changing filters etc.

>>BigPete

Re: 26th

I'm afraid that I'm going to be busy studying for an exam next week. I was hoping to have gotten further ahead with things than I currently have I therefore cannot spare the time right now.

Another time perhaps and thanks for the invitation. It's a bit of a pisser really since I was planning to strap a camera to the bike and take it for a run on Sunday. This now seems unlikely.

I trust the bike is ok.

Regards

Rode my Busa back to blighty last week. 844 mls door to door in 2 days of showers :( but absolutely no problems...cut-out is history now. Spent most of the dry time cruising 110-120 mph :)
Pity it's winter round the corner.

BusOwner......catch ya next time mate.

>>BigPete

Your bike is fixed then! Great news. I haven't had a problem with mine either. I will admit that me and Busa fell out for a while but the love affair is back on in a big way. The other day I went out to the garage with a coffee and some smokes and just sat looking at it for twenty minutes. Sad - I know - but I enjoyed it.

I strapped a camera to the bike the other day and was hoping to see 200 on the clock but the weather turned nasty within minutes and I could see rainshowers in the distance so that was the end of that - for now anyway.

Pity about the weather, still, our bikes are fixed and that's the main thing.

Catch you later.
Regards

i hear the bikes affected most by this are the #'s undr like 5500 . i own #3481 . are your bikes in this group or was this bunk information . my bike has 5000 miles and has never missed a beat . (fingers crossed)

I thought it wouldn't happen to me but at around 7000 it happened.
The screens in the fuel pump were completely clogged. I took it apart and cleaned them. My dealer ordered all the new parts. The bike hasn't missed a beat in 800 miles and is a lot stronger.
They say it's because of the fuel additives in the fuel we use. The new screens let the additives through I believe.

Back