Engine cut out - not 108,109 notices !

G

OK, don't start to flame me before you read all of this. I know the 108,109 notices in relation to the engine cut outs and this work has been done on my bike, very recently in an attempt to cure this cut out. Actually more was done than in the notices, my shop replaced all filters and fuel lines from the gas tank to the engine, but still now I have the problem.

My engine will cut out consistantly now after cruising for about 10km at 140kmph (approx 85mph - hey speed limiy here is just 50mph) The engine will just completely die for a couple of seconds then restart, and it does it alot ! But if I kick down a couple of gears and drive the engine a bit harder, no problem what so ever. Also if I stay in top gear but increase the spead to 160kmph, no problem. This is ok for short journeys, but for long journeys it means **** fuel economy or getting a speeding ticket.

Does anyone have any ideas what may cause this ? The bike goes back to the shop on Thursday for this to get investigated, my shop has contacted Suzuki and a couple of engineers from the factory are going to be looking at my bike for a few days. Has anyone else had this happen ? Bike now has over 23,000km on it.

Dazee:

First, thanks for your posts and busa stuff;

sounds as if your guys screwed something up;

my busa started a low speed miss-stumble around 6,800 miles;

dealer said it would cost over $300.00 to reeplace all filters, not covered under warranty ... my # is 3777;

I put in about double the amount of fuel injector cleaner additive and the problem almost disappeared. That was 1,000 miles ago and the problem is lessened by about 70% when it is there and occurs only about 1% of the time now;

the other thing I did was to clean the throttle bodies with carb cleaner and "q" tips, cleaned the spark plug and re-gaped;

in general runs very well;

Alan

Well the cleanings didn't resolve anything :( but it was not looking a good prospect anyway, the bike is meticulously maintained for the oil changes, plugs, tuning etc and just had the fuel lines/filters replaced.

Dropped the bike off last night as I am off to Singapore now for a couple of days. Spoke with the engineers and they will be looking at a number of sensors that may be reponsible for the cut-out. They think something may have been damaged in one of my little 'accidents' that was not immediately apparent. They are also bringing a replacement ECU just in case . . .

Well Suzuki seem to be on the ball with this one and taking it very seriously. Mine is one of the highest mileage bikes they have in Japan and they are keep to check its condition after some "real world" abuse.

Will let you know in a couple of days when I get back. Now I wonder if everything they say about Orchard Towers is true . . . . . .

Heard of some weird stuff caused by too much chain lube on a crank position sensor, caused an intermitent voltage drop and screwed with someone for some time chasing the gremlins from his bike.

The sensors operate on some real low voltage and little things can cause some weird stuff to happen.

DaZee have you recieved all you A-TECH carbon yet?

It'll be interesting to see if they have found anything when I get back. But so far I have never been accused of putting too much chain lube on, a bit the opposite in fact, like "You do know what chain lube is right ?" They also think the side stand sensor could be causing this fault. That would make my day ! Once got stuck in the middle of no-where on a Kawasaki KLE400 because of a faulty side stand switch.

A-Tech are delivering the last on my order on Saturday. At that time I will take great pleasure in re-assembling the bike into it's new bad boy look. Have not opted for the fender eliminator kit, found out they are illegal here :-( Pictures to be on my site later.

And the winner is . . . . . . . the sidestand !

They were able to reproduce the exact problem on the dyno and trace the cause of the fault, my sidestand. It seems that it is a little worn, and when the bike was kept at a constant speed in 5th or 6th gear around 120-140kph, then the sidestand started to lower. This of course activated the sidestand sensor causing a sefety cut out.

They have now worked on my sidestand and are pretty sure they have cured the problem. Something to look out for if you experience similar cut outs later on. Damn safety devices ! But ohh what a relief !!!

dazee;
Thank you for a very informative post.
It sounded like it took some time but the end result seems to have made sence.
Good Luck and may your troubles be gone!

3 days and not a single glitch, it's nice to trust the bike again. Oh well just a couple more days until all the A-Tech stuff gets put on now !

DaZee you are the "Man in Japan" Hayabusa.org's man closest to the Suzuki Factory.

DaZee what are some of the Japanese regulations concerning motorcycles.

Have you seen a Honda RC51 or SP-1 in Japan on the street or in an import shop?

Just recieved a K-Factory Hayabusa full titanium pipe today, I will pop some pictures up on Photopoint. Very interesting collector set up.

Here are some of the local regulations.
No domestic bikes above 750cc, only import versions can exceed the limit.

100kmph expressway limit for cars, 80kmph for bikes.

No carrying of passengers on the expressway for bikes.

No bikes above 250cc in populated areas between 11:30pm and 7:00am HA !!

Above 400cc all helmets worn should have a visor.

All bikes should have the FULL fender.

Small bikes (125cc< ) are forbidden to turn right at junctions.

Speed cameras can only register up to 240kmph, some above that speed if you are caught is a prison offence - if you have a Japanese liscence. Holders of an International liscence get slapped wrists.

Have not seen the other bikes yet. You will see them first, we have to wait for them to be re-imported.

Tanabe-san is a great help, he is hooking me up with a shop that specializes in tuning Hayabusas in my area. Will post new pictures of my bike this weekend.

Back