Opting Out Of Frame Sliders

wabill

Registered
I'm the second owner of a 2013 LE Hayabusa. It came with no-drill frame sliders. A week or so ago the slider set screw loosened up and a snugging of the allen set screw took care of the issue and all was well with the slider. Then over the weekend I saw it wiggling again and this time it wasn't just the slider end but the whole slider. The adapter bracket that makes it 'No Drill' was fractured. The bike hasn't been dropped or even bumped. So if they were installed at purchase they fatigue cracked at only 3800 miles. I'm getting old and feeble and so the I'm having the shop remove the sliders entirely. They suggested putting direct frame mount sliders on which required drill the panels. I'm really reluctant to have the panels cut and in looking through just about all of the posted bike pics it looks like a majority of Busa owners have gone without sliders. I'll be joining that crowd and hope that caution and care will keep the panels unscathed. Besides, that's why we have insurance.
If I knew how, I'd have this be a poll of who favors sliders vs those who don't.

Look at T-Rex sliders. They have saved me a fortune in low speed crash damage and they are no-cut. A properly designed slider is made of very brittle steel so that it will snap off before it damages the frame itself. Your slider was probably damaged somehow and vibration can finish off a slider bracket. I broke my T-rex slider in a similar way when the bike fell over in my driveway. There was not even a scratch on the bike but I later realized it broke the slider bracket. I don't want to debate, and Sixpack577 is a dude who's word is good, but I am a slider believer from personal experience.

The Facebook group that I monitor has a poll about those things right now. The general consensus is that they work fairly well for tip overs, but for any real crashes they don't really do much. More than one person echoed sixpack's thoughts on doing more damage. So contrary to what we might believe, he might actually know what he's talking about... :poke:

I have an 04 with no sliders. Had a car turn into me this Spring. I put the bike down on it's left side'. I was really surprised at how well the bike took it. Replaced the left side cover. Or the COWL ASSY, UNDER LH as it's called in the parts book. Replaced the front fairing. Referred to as COWLING ASSY, BODY in the book. Replaced the headlight. Replaced alternator cover. Better know as the COVER, MAGNETO in the book. Replaced the tip of the left handlebar. Also know as BALANCER SET, HANDLEBAR. Replaced the clutch lever. And and the after market muffler on that side. Not a scratch on the rear cowl, the gas tank or the frame. I really don't think sliders would have prevented any of this damage. The bike certainly got thru this much better then I did.
If you're going to be playing on a road course and really pushing it sliders are a good idea. And most track bikes have cosmetic damage. Just comes with that kind of fun. I guess it's personal opinion for street or drag strip use...

I am Pro Slider just for the sake of conversation. In my accident last year the bike slid down the asphalt on the slider for a good ways, in doing so it ground through a good portion of the slider and in fact through the Magneto cover and dinged the stator (flywheel). Were it not for the slider giving its all I would surely have been looking for a new crankshaft if not more!

Look at T-Rex sliders. They have saved me a fortune in low speed crash damage and they are no-cut. A properly designed slider is made of very brittle steel so that it will snap off before it damages the frame itself. Your slider was probably damaged somehow and vibration can finish off a slider bracket. I broke my T-rex slider in a similar way when the bike fell over in my driveway. There was not even a scratch on the bike but I later realized it broke the slider bracket. I don't want to debate, and Sixpack577 is a dude who's word is good, but I am a slider believer from personal experience.

Thank you sir.
I know sliders can help out sometimes too, and I'm glad they worked for you:beerchug:

The Facebook group that I monitor has a poll about those things right now. The general consensus is that they work fairly well for tip overs, but for any real crashes they don't really do much. More than one person echoed sixpack's thoughts on doing more damage. So contrary to what we might believe, he might actually know what he's talking about... :poke:
...I wouldn't be too sure.
Don't trust hooligans.

These are T-Rex sliders. And most likely the mount broke over time due to a poor install with too much tension on the rod going between the two sides. Also you can see where the rod was hitting something that has worn it in spots thus adding to the fatigue failure, possibly.

Riding / racing / wrenching on bikes for the last 29 years I have found bikes that are NAKED or FRAME SLIDER attaches to a true solid point on a frame fare ok in low speed or tip overs .
Bikes that tend to use brackets to make sliders work REALLY DONT WORK WELL .
I've seen triple didget slides were bike was picked up and ridden away with little damage . Then I've seen 20 to 30 mph stuff that looks like it was dropped out of a plane .
Realistically steel engine guards with delrin sliders are king for protection , but the your ride takes on the stunter or Mad Max look .
I have engine guards on wife's naked Bandit that have done their jobten times over during her transition from scooter to the bandit .
My Bird has nothing

I'm a believer that they only are good for low speed down or tipping over in the driveway. Heard stories how they snagged the road and caused more damage than a single sided slide would have caused.

I do not have sliders on my bike and I have had all three situations happen to me. High speed crash stuff is going to get messed up, if not totalled, frame slides are not going to make a difference one way or another. My low speed get off (35-40mph) sliders may have made a difference, really hard to tell. My dumb a$$ dropping it off the rear stand in the garage, sliders would have probably saved me a grand.

To each their own, I would never look down on someone that has them on their bike, I just don't like the looks. Think I am just going to stop putting the painted parts on the ground and I won't have to worry about it anymore. :D

For what its worth some on here have said they are worthless. I totally disagree. I had them on my gen 1 and after 6 years of having it I did something very stupid and knocked it over.

After picking it back up the only damage was a scuff on the end of the clutch lever, a scratch on the mirror plastic, and some scuff on the puck itself. The whole left fairing was completely unharmed. It was about a $900 save. Yes you have to drill your fairings but you just mark the motor mount bolt with a lazer, make a pilot hole, then use a holesaw. Very easy just go slow and take your time. They saved my butt bigtime. And I kinda like the look. Gives it a bit of custom edge. You can see mine here. They are vortex. The whole kit was $65.

20170819_050253.jpg

Back