Frame Sliders?

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
Are the left and right frame sliders for the Busa identical? I just received a set and the sliders are identical, but the screws are different lengths. When I put them on, the right side looks too long and because of the nipple, you can see the base of the slider. It doesn't look rigth at all.

Did I get the wrong thing?
Should I cut the nipple off of the right side slider (my machine shop guys could do it)?

You got the right ones. The longer screw goes on the right side.

Let me see if this pic helps. The right slider will stick out farther than the left as you look at it from the front.

BabyJ-ZGDBWindscreenCFMirrorsandTobinSeats.jpg

Let me see if this pic helps.  The right slider will stick out farther than the left as you look at it from the front.
Oh I get it, I just don't like it! What the F*** are they thinking? Why not just make the slider for the right side a little shorter? At a minimum, make it without that shank on it.

GEEZE!

It's just one of the 'Busa's many quirks that we all know and love.
smile.gif

- like the strange engine noises, unstable sidestand, low beam that lets you see 6 inches in front of the bike at night etc. etc.

OK, just had the model shop shave off that shank. I am not sure if that will bring it down enough, but it will certainly be better than before.
wink.gif

I ordered a set of sliders off ebay that one is shorter then the other to combat that weird look i havent installed them yet but when i do ill post pics

Thinker, keep us updated on how much you shaved off and your opinion of the appearance. I just last week posted a similiar question in regards to my new sliders being identical left and right and thought they were supposed to be different sizes. ( the bolts were different sizes).

Are the left and right frame sliders for the Busa identical? I just received a set and the sliders are identical, but the screws are different lengths. When I put them on, the right side looks too long and because of the nipple, you can see the base of the slider. It doesn't look rigth at all.

Should I cut the nipple off of the right side slider (my machine shop guys could do it)?
On some motorcycles the engine is not symetrical. The busa being one of these. The purpose of a slider is of course for proper protection in the event that the bike falls. The right sight needs to stick out farther so it can properly absorb the impact. I went nuts when I got my sliders trying to figure out if I messed something up. I even called vortex tech support to talk to someone before I did the cutting. Basically if you want the sliders to do their job the right side NEEDS to be farther out. Honestly once they are on you don't even notice I love the looks of mine. Basically your pucks should be the same size and you should have 2 different size motor mount bolts. The longer bolt goes to the right side. Hope this helped man.

I agree, BB69. I thought I was screwed at first, too, but after putting them on I don't even notice unless I look at a pic. Didn't even think about trying to make the distance they stick out even on both sides.

I agree, BB69.  I thought I was screwed at first, too, but after putting them on I don't even notice unless I look at a pic.  Didn't even think about trying to make the distance they stick out even on both sides.
the problem with the appearance is not so much that the right side stuck out more, because you really don't see both sides at the same time. The problem I had was that the shank of the slider brought it out just enough that from the front of the bike, you could easily see the base (bottom) of the slider. Perhaps it had to do with how my holes were cut for the custome sliders I had. In anycase, I cut off 95% of the shank which allowed the base of the slider to go closer to the frame and deeper into the whole. It still sticks out further than the left side, but now you can't see the base of the slider. It is fine now!

I agree, BB69.  I thought I was screwed at first, too, but after putting them on I don't even notice unless I look at a pic.  Didn't even think about trying to make the distance they stick out even on both sides.
the problem with the appearance is not so much that the right side stuck out more, because you really don't see both sides at the same time. The problem I had was that the shank of the slider brought it out just enough that from the front of the bike, you could easily see the base (bottom) of the slider. Perhaps it had to do with how my holes were cut for the custome sliders I had. In anycase, I cut off 95% of the shank which allowed the base of the slider to go closer to the frame and deeper into the whole. It still sticks out further than the left side, but now you can't see the base of the slider. It is fine now!
Glad to hear it.

OK, just had the model shop shave off that shank. I am not sure if that will bring it down enough, but it will certainly be better than before.
wink.gif
Dang G-Spot, if you would have waited a second for ME to respond I could have cured all your woes. All you have to do is swap them around and they will be fairly even. I put the longer one on the left side and the shorter one on the right side and well... uhh... PROBLEM SOLVED!!
blush.gif

On some motorcycles the engine is not symetrical. The busa being one of these. The purpose of a slider is of course for proper protection in the event that the bike falls. The right sight needs to stick out farther so it can properly absorb the impact. I went nuts when I got my sliders trying to figure out if I messed something up. I even called vortex tech support to talk to someone before I did the cutting. Basically if you want the sliders to do their job the right side NEEDS to be farther out. Honestly once they are on you don't even notice I love the looks of mine. Basically your pucks should be the same size and you should have 2 different size motor mount bolts. The longer bolt goes to the right side. Hope this helped man.
Why exactly does the right side need to be further out? What part of your bike is oddly shaped on the right where it sticks out further than the left?

Yes the mounts are in different locations and the right side needs to be longer due to the mount being set further back in the bike. The opposite slider should be shortend so that it sticks out the exact same distance when mounted.

"One size fits all" companies save a few bucks by just giving you two long sliders. Buy a set specifically designed for the Busa and ones will be shorter so that you get a nice symmetrical fit when looking at the bike.

wink.gif
Dang G-Spot, if you would have waited a second for ME to respond I could have cured all your woes.  All you have to do is swap them around and they will be fairly even.  I put the longer one on the left side and the shorter one on the right side and well... uhh... PROBLEM SOLVED!!
blush.gif
This is what I did, the longer slider i put on the left.NJ.

I used a set of gixxer 1K double hard mushrooms for mine....I really liked the fact that you change the head and not the shank...$30 vs 80 or more....they look a little out of place at first, but now I am used to them....as I recall I switched them as well.....

wink.gif
Dang G-Spot, if you would have waited a second for ME to respond I could have cured all your woes.  All you have to do is swap them around and they will be fairly even.  I put the longer one on the left side and the shorter one on the right side and well... uhh... PROBLEM SOLVED!!
blush.gif
Brian, both my sliders were exactly the same length. I expected one to be longer than the other. In that case, I would have known what to do. Unfortunately, they weren't. So I made one shorter.

I thought I was buying sliders made for the Busa. Bought them from a place that specializes in Busa stuff. It was the only place I found that had chrome sliders for the Busa in stock.

Back