Opinions on shaving frame for center 240 wheel

kandy_busa

Registered
Thinking about shaving the inside of my frame to center my 240 wheel. Was wondering if this would weakin the frame at all. As much as I wanna center my 240 wheel I don't wanna jeopardize the safety,strength,& integrity of the frame...
Anybody that done this have any cons to this topic?
Also if anyone knows a good shop in the south Florida area that has experience in doin this task I would appreciate the contact info.
Thx in advance guys.

Don't bother. Moving it over a half inch at best won't change the way it rides and most people don't notice its off centered anyway. I had to trim my frame to make.my kit work, the chain was on the frame. What brand kit do have? Pics of the tire off centre and where the chain passes by the frame would be cool :thumbsup:

I have shaved over a 1/4 inch, just to make the chain not rub, and nothing has ever happened!

I'll take some pics of the offset 2morrow. It's a traxx dynamics 240 kit...
Mine seems noticeable because of the alien head tail light I think.
I'll get those pics up asap.
Thx.

I'll take some pics of the offset 2morrow. It's a traxx dynamics 240 kit...
Mine seems noticeable because of the alien head tail light I think.
I'll get those pics up asap.
Thx.

Lookin forward to em, and I forgot to mention, I did my frame, 2 seasons with the 240 on it and 1 with a set of CZ's with no ill effects that I've noticed.

here are some pics of the offset on my 240 kit.from the rear to me its very noticable to be offset to the right maybe a half inch.
also looking at the pictures of the chain to frame clearance i noticed the previous owner did grind some for clearance.
chain doesnt rub from what i can tell but im sure needs some more grinding to move wheel over.
i think its not too noticable with a stock taillight but with the alien head lights its pretty noticable.
btw what r cz's

2012-11-15 11.39.16.jpg

2012-11-15 11.40.30.jpg

2012-11-15 11.40.02.jpg

That is more noticeable than most I've seen. Idk man, it looks like its installed and spaced properly, moving it over would require spacers for the rear, spacers for the front sprocket, frame grinding and lining it all up again.
I think the dual pipe setup makes it more noticeable, least to my eye it does. I'd just leave it as is assuming it rides okay and isn't giving you any problems other than lookin a lil off, which is just kinda what ya get with 240's most of the time. One member does have a centered 240 without frame grinding, I still don't know how that worked. :banghead:

CZ's are an aftermarket wheel. :thumbsup:

Take it to Home - Blais Cycle and tell them I sent you.
Kevin is the owner, Ron and Paul are excellent techs. Not too far from you at all and they are the only people I trust and refer folks to. Can't go wrong. I like the White and Green scheme. Looks great.

Also think about joining us over at SoFlaSportbikes.com for more local info and rides.

Take it to Home - Blais Cycle and tell them I sent you.
Kevin is the owner, Ron and Paul are excellent techs. Not too far from you at all and they are the only people I trust and refer folks to. Can't go wrong. I like the White and Green scheme. Looks great.

Also think about joining us over at SoFlaSportbikes.com for more local info and rides.
Thx guys.i really appreciate the info.:thumbsup: im gonna give them a ring Blanca. Thx for the like on the paint I like too but will be repainted soon due to a minor lay down in July. Not bad at all but the scratches are bugging me.
I'm hoping that the new paint comes out as clean as this one.
Definitely gonna sign up to website also. Is that the sport bike riders group that takes trips every Sunday?

@rooster yea the dual pipes definitely doesn't help none lol. Neither does my tail lights but I like those.
The pipes are gonna come off soon as soon as I have some spending money. I plan on doing a complete overhaul on the bike lil leaks here n there are starting to annoy me. I need a new tank cuz the overflow inlet is leaking bad and since I'm gonna paint it might as well just get a new tank.

Thx guys.i really appreciate the info.:thumbsup: im gonna give them a ring Blanca. Thx for the like on the paint I like too but will be repainted soon due to a minor lay down in July. Not bad at all but the scratches are bugging me.
I'm hoping that the new paint comes out as clean as this one.
Definitely gonna sign up to website also. Is that the sport bike riders group that takes trips every Sunday?

@rooster yea the dual pipes definitely doesn't help none lol. Neither does my tail lights but I like those.
The pipes are gonna come off soon as soon as I have some spending money. I plan on doing a complete overhaul on the bike lil leaks here n there are starting to annoy me. I need a new tank cuz the overflow inlet is leaking bad and since I'm gonna paint it might as well just get a new tank.

Ya may do well trading those fairings for a stock set plus some cash depending on how bad the scratchs are. I'm sure $500 plus stock fairings would move em pretty easily. Just a thought, hate to see a nice paint job like that go to waste :thumbsup:

Hmm I will never shave anything from the chassis of a motorcycle.
When I was younger I shaved a little from a swingarm on a VMAX to fit
a car tire slick.. Well about a year later I was riding with a friend and I went
WOT lifted the front and power shifter into 2nd gear with the wheel still in the air
and ))))))))SNAP((((((( went the swing arm. Luckily I didnt dump the bike but the swingarm
broke where I had notched it an 1/8 of an inch..
It could have been deadly but lesson learned.

Hmm I will never shave anything from the chassis of a motorcycle.
When I was younger I shaved a little from a swingarm on a VMAX to fit
a car tire slick.. Well about a year later I was riding with a friend and I went
WOT lifted the front and power shifter into 2nd gear with the wheel still in the air
and ))))))))SNAP((((((( went the swing arm. Luckily I didnt dump the bike but the swingarm
broke where I had notched it an 1/8 of an inch..
It could have been deadly but lesson learned.

I thought the same thing before I did mine. I bought the kit, then learned of this pretty special mod to install it. I spent awhile starring at the frame, grinder and kit till I finally said screw it, its happening. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it, 3 seasons later.
That said, if I buy another bike, ill definitely look at the frame where the chain passes by to see if its been "240'd". :laugh:

Ya may do well trading those fairings for a stock set plus some cash depending on how bad the scratchs are. I'm sure $500 plus stock fairings would move em pretty easily. Just a thought, hate to see a nice paint job like that go to waste :thumbsup:
Actually that's a very good idea rooster:thumbsup:
Check out the pics in my gallery I got some of the scratches there.lmk what u think.
Or I can post me here

Nice bike and that fat tire looks...well phat. I wouldn't like that offset either but not sure I could bring myself to grind it.

Nice bike and that fat tire looks...well phat. I wouldn't like that offset either but not sure I could bring myself to grind it.
Thx poppy
I'm not to sure about grinding nemore myself. I'm gonna go single side exhaust and see if that helps the look of the offset. That's all that bothers me cuz the bike rides great nice and straight. Also corners well for a stretched fat wheel hayabusa. Def gonna go 280 osd next time or jackshaft.

You can't move it that far over and still have clearance for chain, without grinding into the front spar of the left side... You will grind thru the strcture of the frame tubing itself. It's not solid billet, it's cast so it's hollow soon as you grind a little more in from where it's at now... the back side front and rear corners of the spar is the strength of the left side and it will be hollow the width of the left spar, once you grind thru it.. leave it be or get a wider kit with a jackshaft and osd setup... Not something I heard but have seen..

You can't move it that far over and still have clearance for chain, without grinding into the front spar of the left side... You will grind thru the strcture of the frame tubing itself. It's not solid billet, it's cast so it's hollow soon as you grind a little more in from where it's at now... the back side front and rear corners of the spar is the strength of the left side and it will be hollow the width of the left spar, once you grind thru it.. leave it be or get a wider kit with a jackshaft and osd setup... Not something I heard but have seen..
Not too sure what the spar is. I do understand that the frame isn't solid that's my fear of grinding too far and bleeping the frame up.lol.
Btw. Thanks goldenchild for the rear peg hardware... Worked great and got here pretty quick also.:thumbsup:

Back