opinions on opinionated people?

opinions on opinionated people? -

• I prefer people keep to themselves

Votes: 48 100.0%

• Total voters
but what if the "opinion" is based on that person's personal perspective? i dont have a good example... maybe "I don't think people who like the color RED are very smart" based on RED being a color that incites anger, why would a smart person choose to enjoy that as their favorite? yeah, weak example.

do personal opinions HAVE to be based on fact?

yeah, open to at least LISTEN to others opinions should be a proper action

but what if the "opinion" is based on that person's personal perspective? i dont have a good example... maybe "I don't think people who like the color RED are very smart" based on RED being a color that incites anger, why would a smart person choose to enjoy that as their favorite? yeah, weak example.

do personal opinions HAVE to be based on fact?

yeah, open to at least LISTEN to others opinions should be a proper action
Yes personal opinions should be based in fact and be supportable if they are being used to define or discuss something tangible, real, and debatable or else it's just fairy tale or non-sense.

UNLESS, we are talking opinion based on "personal preference" or similar casual basis. Opinion at this point is wonderful stuff for discussion and sharing without it having to be a factual debate.

Fortunately most folks can tell the difference, the problem is when someone is arguing their unsupported beliefs/opinions as if they are fact when there are no facts present. Just doesn't work.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln

cheers
ken
shutup.gif

good points. I honestly don't care if they are right or wrong or factual or fake... as long as they are strong enough to speak up for WHATEVER they feel about something, I support that. I'd prefer people make their noise than be quiet for fear of persecution or belittlement. I'm sick of policitally correctly worrying about this or that. I don't anymore and say what I think. Life is more interesting that way
smile.gif

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm
winkold.gif
, I guess you have a point  
hello.gif
!! I support people expressing their opinions who have NO BASIS on FACTS or KNOWLEDGE in making their opinion
whistling.gif
. Then, I know who have absolutely NO substance in their OPINIONS
laugh.gif

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it is, or how much better my opinion is than theirs." Steve Martin

Well, for my Jack Handy moment...
The problem may lie in what facts actually are, which are socially accepted truths. Statistics based facts are aimed at specifically supporting someone's opinion; it seems to me that few people ask why, they simply react to what they see/hear and thier opinion is in many cases viscerally based rather than tempered with research.

Ever had someone you were talking to, keep trying to interupt you or is able to respond as soon as you stop speaking? Are they actually processing what you told them, or are they spending the time that you are talking formulating a response to what they think you are saying, rather than listening to what you are actually saying?

These are just my opinions...

Well, for my Jack Handy moment...
The problem may lie in what facts actually are, which are socially accepted truths. Statistics based facts are aimed at specifically supporting someone's opinion; it seems to me that few people ask why, they simply react to what they see/hear and thier opinion is in many cases viscerally based rather than tempered with research.

Ever had someone you were talking to, keep trying to interupt you or is able to respond as soon as you stop speaking? Are they actually processing what you told them, or are they spending the time that you are talking formulating a response to what they think you are saying, rather than listening to what you are actually saying?

These are just my opinions...
I know I've done it and had it done to me...

It's something I am working on, active listening. The problem with it is that it requires you to actually give a shid about what the other person is saying and sometimes that is just too difficult. So, what I've found is that I am a lot more picky about who I speak to at work, or wherever...

I love the fact that this thread about opinions or opinionated people is full of both!

I like that people have opinions, and that some of them are opposite of mine. . . gives me a reason to debate the fact that they are wrong!  
cool.gif

the origin of this thought came up because I posted some remarks in another forum about what I great job I do mixing and recording sound, and took some flack about my opinion and ego. I said "it would be stupid of me to post my opinion about my skills on a worldwide forum if I could not back up my statements in real life, if someone calls me on it, wouldn't it?" I got to thinking about peoples opinions and what people think about people that have no trouble voicing them. My opinion is I don't care, but I prefer people pick a side and stand up for it than not.

the origin of this thought came up because I posted some remarks in another forum about what I great job I do mixing and recording sound, and took some flack about my opinion and ego. I said "it would be stupid of me to post about my skills on an worldwide forum if I could not back up my statements in real life, if someone calls me on it, wouldn't it?" I got to thinking about peoples opinions and what people think about people that have no trouble voicing them. My opinion is I don't care, but I prefer people pick a side and stand up for it than not.
I deduce from this scenario that you clearly shouldn't be posting on "other forums"...jeez Greg, you'd think you'd get it by now...the only forum where you'll be ridiculed yet walk away unscathed is HERE...

laugh.gif

Back