Hello Gun Aficionados, Honest Opinions Wanted

Poppy

Donating Member
Registered
Hello, I'm wondering what you guys and gals think about the following 9mm compact/sub-compact pistols. I would prefer real world experiences. Someone I know :whistle: is looking to add to their collection and where else can expert opinions be found but here? :thumbsup:
  1. Glock 26 Gen4
  2. Taurus Millenium Pro Compact
  3. Springfield XD 3"
  4. Stoeger Cougar 8000F

This person I know has never owned a Glock but he is very interested in hearing from those that have!

I'm not really interested in hearing from folks that don't believe in the right to bear arms, or the anti-gun crowd, as that's not what this posting is for. Real life experiences and opinions will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

I have the Glock 26, and after countless rounds I've never had a single issue with it. It holds 11(1 in the chamber), I also have a 32 round magazine that I've emptied as quickly as possible many times with never a jam or a misfire.
My Dad and several friends have similiar model Glocks and it's the same story, excellent guns.
I prefer my 26 to my friends 27 too. Same subcompact frame but .40 caliber, a much heavier gun because of the ammo.
I'm no gun expert by far, I just shoot alot and have always liked the Glocks as they are great quality and always dependable. I also find them to be very accurate.:beerchug:

I've owned two of the above and been around all models while on range. I think I'd stick with either the glock or Springfield. I have never been confident enough in a Taurus to carry it and the Stoeger I believe is a Beretta copy. I had a G26 for years and as Sixpack says it was flawless in all ways. I like Glocks because they are one of the few pistols you can COMPLETELY disassemble. There can be no recesses or cracks or crevices uncleanable in a Glock. I take mine out to sea fishing, to the beach, to the park, if it gets dirty it's super easy to blast out with gun scrubber or wd40. I have a lot of sigs, colts, para ordnances, and Berettas but when I'm expecting to be sweaty dirty I take a glock. They are also loose in their tolerance meaning they will still function with good amounts of dirt or as we have here sand which will stop a lot of pistols quick.

Thanks guys. I've always heard the Glocks are awesome and very forgiving...i.e. dirt, sand, etc. The Stoeger, turns out, is actually owned by Beretta now. I guess they use the Beretta equipment. Below is from Wikipedia......

"Marketing and distribution of the Cougar has been transferred to Stoeger Industries, a subsidiary of Beretta.[3] The firearms are made in Turkey, using Beretta factory tooling. Stoeger now produces Cougars in 9×19mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. Stoeger recently added a more compact-sized Cougar pistol to their production line, currently available in 9×19mm only. The Cougar Compact has a reduced magazine capacity of 13 rounds and MSRP is US$50 less than its full-size counterpart."

As far as the Taurus, I have a .38 SS revolver, which is a great range gun, too big for concealed carry, but it is reliable and accurate. Keep those opinions coming!!! :please:

i own the G27 instead of 26 but have to believe the performance would be just as good as what i have experienced with the 27...no issues at all with quite a few rounds fired through it and super easy to maintain as has been previously mentioned :beerchug:

I carried a glock on duty for many years, never had a misfire.. Easy to clean, parts are cheap, lots of people have them to share magazines with too.... Best combat tupperware you can find....

Poppy the cougar has a rotating barrel with small grooves in it that create the lockup.
It works but is finicky, new and widely unadapted by other manufacturers. Wasn't too popular of a design and most likely the reason Beretta dumped it on Stoeger.

Who wants a gun who's barrel needs to be 'wet' all the time in order to function?

Rotating vs Tilting Barrel Locking System - THR

Imagine sand and oil together. Gummed gun.

I have one xd and a few glocks (17,21 and 27). I have never had any issues with either one and have always been loyal to glock. Personally the glocks fit my hands perfectly and that's why I fell for them from the beginning. That and the fact all the departments that have them as duty weapons kinda says something in my opinion.

Sent via LG-Thrill with Tapatalk.

Of the group you listed the Glock and XD is all I would consider. I'd also throw the S&W M&P 9 into the mix (versions without external and mag safeties)

I carried a glock on duty for many years, never had a misfire.. Easy to clean, parts are cheap, lots of people have them to share magazines with too.... Best combat tupperware you can find....

Same here. The Glock 21 was my duty weapon for a good while. My wife has a G26 and my everyday carry is a G33. Thousands of rounds through them without the first hiccup. Glock makes a simple weapon that goes bang EVERY TIME you squeeze the trigger. You really can't beat them for reliability or quality, especially for the price.

I too am a fan of the Glock. Will shoot just about anything, in any condition without jamming. Easy to dissasemble and clean.
I was coaching someone shoot a Baretta 92F today; jammed and stovepiped several times (notorious for it). Glocks don't do that (and I've run some realy crappy ammo thru them) The only downside (if there is one) is the safety, there isn't much of one. Granted, finger off triger means safe; finger on trigger means hot, but not much more than that, which prevents me from carrying one in the chamber with a child in the house.

While the 26 is the smallest and most concealable, The 19 is my fav as it fits my hand the best. If you are going to stay subcompact, stay with the 9mm as the larger calibers are harder to shoot/unpleasant unless you have strong hands.

hated the xd 3" i used to carry it for work and it was uncomfortable to carry in my honest opinion i LOVE my Ruger SR9C and i carry it just about every day if im not carrying it im carrying my lcp... between me and my father we have i belive 13 pistols and ive carried every single one of them also i shoot atleast 30k rounds a year

Any of the ruger lcr or lcp series are amazing weapons. My buddy just picked up a new sr9c and he loves it. For myself i carry a beretta 9000s and I absolutely love it.

Any of the ruger lcr or lcp series are amazing weapons. My buddy just picked up a new sr9c and he loves it. For myself i carry a beretta 9000s and I absolutely love it.

like i said i love my lcp and my sr9c.... heres a pic from the other night at the range
card_fullsize_588894EB-1231-3802-084ED7FAD2EFDF46.jpg

I have nothing against the Blocks and know they are great firearms and enjoyed shooting them I am just not into there appearance.
I can say I do own a XD and love it, its been the best pistol I have owned yet, and Ruger LCP is just an awesome hand gun which I own in a 380

I have nothing against the Blocks and know they are great firearms and enjoyed shooting them I am just not into there appearance.
I can say I do own a XD and love it, its been the best pistol I have owned yet, and Ruger LCP is just an awesome hand gun which I own in a 380

Regarding appearance I'd like to quote my favorite manufacturer Hk.
'Form Follows Function' . Agreed they are not the prettiest of guns but they work and work well.

Back