Opinions on Ferguson MO

And the argument here is not about police presence in neighorhoods, or the number of arrrests made. Iwould argue that there isnt enough polie presence in black neighborhoods. The argument is far more of these interactions result in shootings by olice officers versus our white counterparts. Is ome of it warranted, i'm sure it is, but the disproportionate rate of killings is what my concern is. My interraction with the police is as minimal as anyone in here, and I pose no threat to one, yet the chances of something bad happening to me during a stop is dispproportionately greater than my white counterpart. That is a bonafide fact. And that is based solely on perception and the color of my skin, and this is not just whith white officers either.

i didnt say you did or anyone else did. I was asking a question as it appears that apparently there are some in this group that do which is what I am trying to assess who jellyrug feels has comtempt for police.Simmer down.

The definition of "contempt" fits disrespect due to someone you believe are not doing their job as they should. Read the posts in this thread and the minority who shows contempt is pretty clear. If the shoe fits wear it, if it does not don't bother.

And the argument here is not about police presence in neighorhoods, or the number of arrrests made. Iwould argue that there isnt enough polie presence in black neighborhoods. The argument is far more of these interactions result in shootings by olice officers versus our white counterparts. Is ome of it warranted, i'm sure it is, but the disproportionate rate of killings is what my concern is. My interraction with the police is as minimal as anyone in here, and I pose no threat to one, yet the chances of something bad happening to me during a stop is dispproportionately greater than my white counterpart. That is a bonafide fact. And that is based solely on perception and the color of my skin, and this is not just whith white officers either.

Any time we get pulled over by a cop, we have about a 99% likelihood that they are not doing so to try and make our day better. I stay as far away from cops as I can. Less chance to meet one I won't like that way. As far as bad compared to you, I can't comment as I don't know what its like to be black and stopped by a cop. If they are a jerk to me, I can pretty much guess they are going to be at least as bad to you.

I have witnessed first hand racial discrimination towards blacks. When they are undeserving of it, I stand on their side.

NOOO Lycan that was NOT DIRECTED AT ANY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM - it was totally directed at those who are out there showing zero respect for the law, screaming about wanting dead cops, etc. Debating police rights and wrongs does not qualify as contempt.

But I can see you might take that way and that was not my intention AT ALL.
you migt want to explain this to jellyrug.

The definition of "contempt" fits disrespect due to someone you believe are not doing their job as they should. Read the posts in this thread and the minority who shows contempt is pretty clear. If the shoe fits wear it, if it does not don't bother.
Clearly this is your misguided definition of the word. If we ant have a debate about something then we are in comtempt? give me a freaking break. i have agreat relationship wth te law enformencent in my city. also ave friends who are law enforecement. So i have contempt for them? So no the shoe doesnt fit me, and as far as i can tell it doesnt fit anyone else in this thread. But thats just my opinion. you are entitled to yours as well regardless of how stupid it may be.

My interraction with the police is as minimal as anyone in here, and I pose no threat to one, yet the chances of something bad happening to me during a stop is dispproportionately greater than my white counterpart. That is a bonafide fact. And that is based solely on perception and the color of my skin, and this is not just whith white officers either.

I believe that is pretty circumstantial. There will be no difference if you get stopped in my neighborhood, I am pretty sure of that. However, if a cop pulls over a Hispanic person close to a troubled mainly Hispanic populated neighborhood, with a lot of gang activity, he may be extra cautious and over-react. If he pulls over an African American near a troubled African American neighborhood the same will apply.

Being a minority doesn't mean you're wrong.

I believe that is pretty circumstantial.
The circumstances being that I am a black male. i'm 6ft 245lbs and i look like a linebacker and I sound like the allstate commercial guy. I can be intimidating if i wanted to but I am intimidating because of the color of my skin. I see it almost everyday. I work in corporate America. i wear a suit and tie and dress pretty dam sharp,if i do say so myself, but when im done I have on baggy jeans, not sagging, tshirt and boots. The same people that look at me and smile during the week are twitchy until they realize its me. I go to company picnics and I see people whispering and giving me the side eye. But its okay. I get it. society has programmed some people to fear the black man. So in the same scenario that you present, unless that was a predomintaely black neighbrohood that you live in, then i do believe the police officers senses would be elevated. again, this is just my opinion.

i will say this though, this thread has helped me get my post count up. lol At this pace I might hit 1000 before the year is out.

I believe that is pretty circumstantial. There will be no difference if you get stopped in my neighborhood, I am pretty sure of that. However, if a cop pulls over a Hispanic person close to a troubled mainly Hispanic populated neighborhood, with a lot of gang activity, he may be extra cautious and over-react. If he pulls over an African American near a troubled African American neighborhood the same will apply.

I was riding around Gross Pointe in Michigan, an all white suburb of Detriot. A cop pulled me over and asked me what I was doing in this neighborhood. I told him looking at the houses - I am an architect. He said well you best get out of this neighborhood. He was pretty polite but had I pointed out that it's a public street and a free country I might have been one of the dead people who "asked for it." That cop was just doing what he was told to do but I'm not going to respect that, sorry.

I worked on a Public Housing project that won a Presidential Design Award some years ago. When studying the place to determine why the crime rate was so high ( highest in the City of Norfolk, VA) and if there was a physical enabler at work. We discovered that about 70% of the people who were arrested there didn't live in the project. Turns out that the police had stopped patrolling there so crime all over the area moved in. We also noticed the layout of the buildings there did not allow vehicle access and created areas where it took a cop 2-3 minutes to get to and that had to be done on foot. So we added streets, gave people an addres to come to, and control of the space around the units. Crime dropped 90%. Police patrols started again as the cops were not sitting ducks if attacked. That was 15 years ago and the place still looks awesome. It's easy to look at people in a bad situation and say they are animals. But more often than not people just need a chance at dignity.

People do the best they can with the cards they are dealt. Dispite the myth some have, no one wants to be poor and welfare is not a comfortable life. How can we expect the same results from someone born with nothing, and who is viewed negatively by society before they can even talk? I'll be honest, if the best I could ever hope for is to be a janitor I would be a criminal too.

The bottom line is the constitution guarentees everyone a fair trial and that they will be assumed innocent until proven otherwise. It does this no matter what their history is. Jelly you speak of the reception you got when you came to this country, well lucky for you you're not Mexican.

When I talk to at risk kids I tell them that they have a lot of obstacles in their lives but their only choice is to overcome them or waste their lives. If they want to be criminals either their enemies will kill them or the system will. The only prerequisite to having a civilized life is you have to be civilized (that BTW is a line I stole from Al Sharpton). But while I tell them that I know very few of them will be able to deal with the obstacles they will face.

Ok I'm rambling..........

I was riding around Gross Pointe in Michigan, an all white suburb of Detriot. A cop pulled me over and asked me what I was doing in this neighborhood. I told him looking at the houses - I am an architect. He said well you best get out of this neighborhood. He was pretty polite but had I pointed out that it's a public street and a free country I might have been one of the dead people who "asked for it." That cop was just doing what he was told to do but I'm not going to respect that, sorry.

I worked on a Public Housing project that won a Presidential Design Award some years ago. When studying the place to determine why the crime rate was so high ( highest in the City of Norfolk, VA) and if there was a physical enabler at work. We discovered that about 70% of the people who were arrested there didn't live in the project. Turns out that the police had stopped patrolling there so crime all over the area moved in. We also noticed the layout of the buildings there did not allow vehicle access and created areas where it took a cop 2-3 minutes to get to and that had to be done on foot. So we added streets, gave people an addres to come to, and control of the space around the units. Crime dropped 90%. Police patrols started again as the cops were not sitting ducks if attacked. That was 15 years ago and the place still looks awesome. It's easy to look at people in a bad situation and say they are animals. But more often than not people just need a chance at dignity.

People do the best they can with the cards they are dealt. Dispite the myth some have, no one wants to be poor and welfare is not a comfortable life. How can we expect the same results from someone born with nothing, and who is viewed negatively by society before they can even talk? I'll be honest, if the best I could ever hope for is to be a janitor I would be a criminal too.

The bottom line is the constitution guarentees everyone a fair trial and that they will be assumed innocent until proven otherwise. It does this no matter what their history is. Jelly you speak of the reception you got when you came to this country, well lucky for you you're not Mexican.

When I talk to at risk kids I tell them that they have a lot of obstacles in their lives but their only choice is to overcome them or waste their lives. If they want to be criminals either their enemies will kill them or the system will. The only prerequisite to having a civilized life is you have to be civilized (that BTW is a line I stole from Al Sharpton). But while I tell them that I know very few of them will be able to deal with the obstacles they will face.

Ok I'm rambling..........

I lived in California for 6 years and one of my best friends was an African American cop. He did a masters degree in this very subject we are discussing and had a very mature outlook, a bit different to views here. My wife reports to the CEO of a medical clinic, who is an African American and we have become good friends. The best story he told me was about an African American lady, who believe she was treated with utmost discrimination due to her race. She complained and raised hell about how racist the clinic is. They arranged a meeting with the CEO, my African American friend and after he introduced himself, she just got up and walked out.

I hear what you are saying, but believe there is more sensitivity from those who feel they are discriminated against because of race, rather than accepting this is long gone and even Presidential status has crossed that barrier.

We live in an area I would not trade for anywhere else, so perhaps my experience is a bit protected, but I can honestly say there is no racism here.

What I do know is my first few years with a green card as a foreigner, I was very careful and felt a bit insecure at times. I have however come to realize that respect is earned and returned proportionally to ones character. Something I hope more people who feel they are discriminated against will learn.

In California the cops were so friendly, they actually made you feel guilty about the citation they have to write.

In OK, I got forcefully pulled out of a car for speeding, forcefully pushed into the passenger seat of the cop's car and written a ticket. Irrespective of my race, I would expect that this cop would have treated anyone else the same. At first I thought of calling his supervisor the next day, but then I felt that probably if I did not break the law, I would have been fine, so it was my own fault.

It takes a long time to fix racism. South Africa is a mess today, electrical and utility supply is no longer reliable, the currency has gone down the drain, potholes in the roads and a society who believes crime is justified against farmers and wealthy folks, as they were deprived for so many years. 75% of the voters who vote for the current government are unemployed. This has nothing to do with color, but rather values of a population who were raised under revolutionary conditions, not educated well and bitter about the past.

Before this thread, and the latest protests which were multi racial by the way, I thought the US was way past this. I hope I was right and this is just a blip in time.

I hear what you are saying, but believe there is more sensitivity from those who feel they are discriminated against because of race, rather than accepting this is long gone and even Presidential status has crossed that barrier.

Before this thread, and the latest protests which were multi racial by the way, I thought the US was way past this. I hope I was right and this is just a blip in time.
You are joking right? If you think that the fact that there's a black president that things and people aren't as racist and race tensions aren't as bad as they have been in decades, you are sorely mistaken. You need only to look at how Obama was treated during the first election. People hanging mocks of him. To this day you still hear people talking about hanging him. The President of the country is not even welcomed as a black man. There have never been so many threats against the President as there have been for this one. The sad truth is I don't think the country will ever be truly United.

The sad truth is I don't think the country will ever be truly United.

Coming from a country where apartheid was abolished in 1994, I have to disagree, you have no idea what racism is. I hope you change your mind and help us make it truly united.

The first secret to success is to stop feeling sorry for yourself.

My interraction with the police is as minimal as anyone in here, and I pose no threat to one, yet the chances of something bad happening to me during a stop is dispproportionately greater than my white counterpart. That is a bonafide fact. And that is based solely on perception and the color of my skin, and this is not just whith white officers either.
thats bonafided BS! so if u have virtually had no experience with the police how do u know wat will happen to u on a MV stop? ur talkn out ur ass!

car jack someone, rob someone or shoot someone and ull be treated like those who commit all the violent crimes. and heres a news flash for ya..... it aint white ppl doing that on average its black ppl so again if u want to point the finger at someone look at ur own race and start there!

I lived in California for 6 years and one of my best friends was an African American cop. He did a masters degree in this very subject we are discussing and had a very mature outlook, a bit different to views here. .

First, I know you are South African and maybe they do things different but here in the US I would not start a conversation on race with "my best friend is black". :laugh: That alone says you are clueless. The big difference in SA and here is that the blacks in SA were in the majority and the Africaners were going to either change or face some dire consequences.

Second what you are saying is laughably silly. Cop stopping you because you are speeding compares to a cop stopping me because I'm black in a segregated neighborhood? What happened to you do the crime and you get what's coming to you?

WHY IS THIS SUBJECT EVEN HERE IN THE FORUM? I THINK SOME SUBJECTS NEED TO BE LEFT OUT OF HERE ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DEALS WITH RACE, RACISM, COLOR IN ANY TYPE OF WAY. NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT, PEOPLE/MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM OF EVERY COLOR WILL RESPOND WITH BIAS, HATE AND RACISM…NOT ALL BUT SOME. I HAVENT BEEN ON THE SITE IN A WHILE BECAUSE HONESTLY WHEN IT COMES TO BEING A GOOD BIKE FORUM THIS SITE HAS BEEN DRY IN MY OPINION, I KNOW PLENTY OF GUYS OUT HERE WHO RIDE THAT FEEL THE SAME. JUST MENTION HAYABUSA.ORG AND THE RESPONSE IS BASICALLY ITS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. IN SAYING THAT, I CHECKED IN ON THE SITE A WEEK AGO AND SAW THIS TOPIC IN THE HIGHLIGHT SECTION…COME BACK A WEEK LATER STILL FRONTPAGE! YOU CAN POST AN OPEN QUESTION ABOUT YOUR BIKE OR POST A PIC, SOMETHING FOR SALE/TRADE AND YOULL HEAR BIRDS CHIRPING, TUMBLEWEEDS ROLLING. POST UP THIS NON BIKE RELATED FOX NEWS TRASH SUBJECT AND THE PEOPLE OF WHOVILLE COME CRAWLING OUT THE WOODWORKS. AND YEAH I HAVE OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT BUT I WONT POST THEM UP HERE BECAUSE ITS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT NOR DO I COME TO A HAYABUSA FORUM TO HAVE DEBATES THAT SHOULD BE LEFT TO CNN, FOX NEWS WEBSITES. SOMEBODY PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD AND KEEP IT ON 2 WHEELS…HOW DO I START UP A NEW FORUM…SERIOUSLY. :unhappy:

society has programmed some people to fear the black man. So in the same scenario that you present, unless that was a predomintaely black neighbrohood that you live in, then i do believe the police officers senses would be elevated. again, this is just my opinion.
not society. ur own race has programmed ppl to think that. even black ppl.

what do u think an older black woman does wen a black man dressed like a thug gets onto an elevator with her? u think she's scared? why? she's black too. the fact is most black ppl who are robbed or shot are victims of OTHER black ppl so stop trying to paint the picture that its a white problem. its not. its a black problem. she grabs her purse tightly. you think she cares that he's black? she doesn't. but she too is black and she too knows that statistically its more likely her purse will be takn by him then anyone else. so is she a racist or a realist!

and why do u think security guards in dept stores tend to follow black females more closely then white females? pretty simple, most of women gettn arrested for shop lifting are black females so again is it racism or reality! u can whine about all the reasons blacks are treated differently but wen blacks stop acting differently then maybe they will be treated differently.

Coming from a country where apartheid was abolished in 1994, I have to disagree, you have no idea what racism is. I hope you change your mind and help us make it truly united. The first secret to success is to stop feeling sorry for yourself.
Black people do not feel sorry for ourselves. We just understand the cold truth of our consequences. Just as I can't understand the climate in South Africa, you can't understand the plight of a black man in America.

thats bonafided BS! so if u have virtually had no experience with the police how do u know wat will happen to u on a MV stop? ur talkn out ur ass! car jack someone, rob someone or shoot someone and ull be treated like those who commit all the violent crimes. and heres a news flash for ya..... it aint white ppl doing that on average its black ppl so again if u want to point the finger at someone look at ur own race and start there!
All you have to do a pick up a paper. Watch the news, read it in the Internet. All most every day there is another unarmed black man arrested or having a negative interaction with a police officer often to no fault of his own or often to a degree that was not needed. That's not bull**** either. That's news. If you could ever get your head from up your own Azz you would realize life isn't seen only through the glass shield.

Back