Omg! Bump this, the dealer will get my money from now on!

Rongotti

Registered
Doing an oil change and water wetter add to the bus and my boys Ninja. I stripped my oil pan... get this..... while using a torque wrench un-effing believable arrrrrgh! Decided to proceed, put in 4quarts and of course... it leaked. Drained the 4 quarts, and instead of not being a moron I drained them in with the dirty oil, pan overfilled, oil all over the garage! Omg I feel beaten, bruised and left for dead. Then I realise that kswaterbug already had some purple stuff in the radiator huo my water wtter prob won't do any good. And I already have a muzzy fan, so the only way I'm going to get this bbw any cooler is by adding another fan. Today....... horrible!

So I went to advanced and bough a helicoil, I had to take a beer and wings break, then ill go home and try this I guess :-( ugh I need a hug lol

ok so now.... how do I install this helicoil? Just screw the bolt into it and screw them both into the pan?

When I did that I went to advance auto parts and got an over sized oil drain plug part number 65209. It didn't leak once in, the plug has a smaller plug in it so you never have to remove it.

If you helicoil it you have to take off the oil pan so you can make sure no metal shavings is in there.

Nabusa I went to advanced and asked, they no longer carry it :-( he said he could order it and it would be here by the 21st but I want to get this done today :-( can't I use the grease on the helicoil and it will grab the shavings?

no hug for you but i will pat you on your back and tell you that dont worry about things take your time and relax

no hug for you but i will pat you on your back and tell you that dont worry about things take your time and relax

I am with Card!

Hang in there bro! I wish I was closer, I woiuld give you a hand. What a rough couple of weeks. Many people have heli-coiled motor parts in place (including me) but it depends on the location. You just have to be very careful and 100% sure you won't/don't leave any chips. If there is any question, pull the pan!!! It is not worth trashing a motor... and from what I have read, a good one. :thumbsup: Either way, take a breather and get your head on straight first. Some times you have to walk away and come back with a new perspective.

Thanks for the support guys! So I took the original bolt and ran it in and out a couple times and got three or four complete threads of aluminum out of it.then flushed it with the old oil. Got the bolt reseated and put a new aluminum crush washer on it. Everything feel s pretty damn tight, question now is, do I waste another $30 in oil to try it out?

Gotti! Remembers long time ago when I told you if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I'm sorry about your misfortune but dayam dude!

If it were me I would either take it off and helicoil it or order that bolt from advance auto parts. Not worth trashing your motor, have some patience.

Gotti! Remembers long time ago when I told you if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I'm sorry about your misfortune but dayam dude!

Lol I don't remeber that but I'm sure you did. This was JUST supposed to be a simple oil change and water wetter job :-( turned into 7 hours of misery

If it were me I would either take it off and helicoil it or order that bolt from advance auto parts. Not worth trashing your motor, have some patience.

I decided that is the best way, so what is the best way to remove my exhaust to be able to take off the oil pan?

My personal take is i wouldnt even heli-coil it, 99% of the time they are just fine but im not the type to risk that 1% when it involves 4qts of oil and 2 tires. But thats just me.

I do hear ya though, i just did mine a few weeks back and wasnt liking how it felt with the torque wrench, backed it out, checked the threads and retightened.

Oil pan, stripped thread.... I know you dont want to hear this..... BUT remove the oil pan. Its not all that hard. Do the job properly make sure everything is clean in the pan so clean you would eat from it.
Yes you can throw some auto part easy repairs at it..... you are taking a risk...
Risk 1, metal shavings go through your engine scoring main bearings rod bearings etc = rebuild.
Risk 2, quick fix doesnt hold up and drain plug blows out while you are running 70 MPH on an exit ramp.

Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and accept the downtime to fix things properly so they dont haunt us later down the road.

Oil pan, stripped thread.... I know you dont want to hear this..... BUT remove the oil pan. Its not all that hard. Do the job properly make sure everything is clean in the pan so clean you would eat from it.
Yes you can throw some auto part easy repairs at it..... you are taking a risk...
Risk 1, metal shavings go through your engine scoring main bearings rod bearings etc = rebuild.
Risk 2, quick fix doesnt hold up and drain plug blows out while you are running 70 MPH on an exit ramp.

Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and accept the downtime to fix things properly so they dont haunt us later down the road.

Yea unfortunately you are right this is the best way. I am going to have a buddy help me remove the exhaust and oil pan and then tap it for me. Just might take some time as I am playing in a golf tournament Thu through Sun. I finally get her fixed and a week later she is down again arrrrgh

Lol nice!

Thanks man I sure as hell hope so, I bought her from Sonny last Feb and haven't even put 800 miles on it :-(

There will be plenty of ride time:beerchug:
Better to have a motorcycle down for a week to do the repair correctly then to have the rider go down for repair.
Weak oil drain plugs and micro particles of aluminum floating around is just an accident waiting to happen if not repaired properly... On your riding tractor maybe go for it on a powerful sport bike fix it correctly its almost like a plane you dont want a repair to fail while in flight.

Back