Riding the bike has been delayed!!

Rich

Registered
Well I have been putting the busa together getting everything going ect.  Well after I finally got the bike started and running right I found that the magneto cover was leaking (did not seal right) and oil was seeping from the oil pan drain bolt.  So I drain the oil and change the gasket on the mag cover and then go to clean the oil pan drain bolt area.  So when I put my finger in the hole (bolt hole, get your mind out of the gutter!) the threads (3/4 of them fall out off the pan!)  So I just got done pulling the oil pan off, I am going to have it welded and then retapped, I should have it back Wednesday and then have the fairings back sometime around then, so I should be up by this weekend maybe next Monday.  Just venting.  Anyone else ever have this happen?  I have been using a torque wrench torqing everything to spec (since I have been reassembling the bike) but before this I was just "snugging" it, so I probably over "snugged"it.  Word of advice torque it to specs so you don't have to go through this (16.5 ft lbs).

<!--EDIT|Rich
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082436031 -->

Sorry to hear that, Rich! You will get it together and will be ridin' it before long!

Ya I will bs. Ah $hit happens though. I am just glad that I am willing to work on my own bike I know a couple of people that would not touch it, they would have trailered it to the dealer and paid them a crazy amount to fix it. I would rather get my hands dirty and learn the bike!

I know the feeling, but I don't know if I am ready for a complete teardown yet! You are a braver man than I!

It is not that bad just remember where everything goes!! Also the manaul on cd has helped alot!! Do you have one?? If not Pm me and I will send you a copy!

I've got one and have used it quite a bit! It is handy, so thanks for the offer!

No problem, I am trying to return the favor.  Someone sent it to me because I did not have one. So if anyone needs one pm me and I will send a copy out.

<!--EDIT|Rich
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082440848 -->

Torque wrench does it's job 99 out of a 100 times. It's that one time have be ready for. Trust your hands more then the wrench. First sense of "That ain't right" stop.

yea i did that once
i was 13yrs old changing the oil on my dirtbike and i noticed the screw kept twisting
i yelled
dad!
i think the bike is broke!
he looked at it and laguhed and said
no problem from now on just turn the bike upside down to take the oil out

i never fixed it i just added oil every once in a while and then sold it like that
lolol

dont do what i did
wink.gif

fix it like you said

biggrin.gif

I use Dads method of tightening to the correct torque. With a regular wrench (Not A socket) turn it till it's snug...then just a "Bit" more. Yeah, scientific ain't it. But that drain plug is a beeyotch. It just shouldn't be that gently applied in my head... It's unerving thinking that only 16.5lbs of torque is holding that thing on...

Ya only 16.5, I cranked the poop out of it before (way to much). MSF I should have it ready this weekend. I am dropping the oil pan off this morning and hopefully it will be done this afternoon. I will add to the solid color busa nation
biggrin.gif

Back