Okinawa frustrations

So they make em there and charge extra if ya buy local :banghead:

Yup, expect to pay $20,000 for a new Busa here, that's why you don't see 2nd gens here. Just a couple of 99's nothing newer than 03'. Take a guess too, its all owned by Americans. I have a neighbor with a nice 09' with a 240 kit all chromed out, it sits in his house. I don't think he is willing to fork out the money to ride here. Me? I can't go with life without riding.

I finally got the "beast" on the road! You're looking at the only 2nd Gen Hayabusa on the road in Okinawa.

busa.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That picture brings back memories from when I lived there. Some great roads to ride there too.

Have fun and be safe!:thumbsup:

I am way up north in Misawa. I lucked out with my 2001 and didn't have to head south to Tokyo for homoligation. Roads are awesome here but we can't ride for 4 months. Bikes are ridiculous when it comes to price around here also. I have seen some Japanese spec gen 2's running around off base.

+1 on the tires. Buy them from the states since they are much cheaper. I paid $267 shipped for front and rear 2CT's.

Yea,
I was stationed there 96-00 loved it. Back then the j-spec bikes where really cheap and the dollar had a little more pull. But a Busa is still too much for the island. Are the street races still going strong near Naha?

Yea,
I was stationed there 96-00 loved it. Back then the j-spec bikes where really cheap and the dollar had a little more pull. But a Busa is still too much for the island. Are the street races still going strong near Naha?

Hell! this place is completely different when I was here in 96-97. The only street race here was about 30 minutes ago. I had to show this Nissan Skyline a little bit of "ignorance" while I was heading home from a bike night. :laugh: Oh yes! I won by a good margin.

Last edited:
It's surprising that Japanese bikes cost more in Japan itself.

But I'm glad you got your bike there, got all formalities taken care of and now finally you are able to njoy riding it there. :)

This place is funny! all the Japanese bikes tops out at 180 kph thats 120 mph governed. It does'nt matter if you ride a 1000cc they top out the same speed. My friend's 07 CBR 600 (jap spec) is in the process of derestricting it. Even the air tunnels are narrower and had to be replaced. Just be glad that your bikes are US spec, just imagine a honda civic passing your J spec busa on the highway!

Doesn't make sense a bike made there cost more???

Go to oversea places that make gas it like 30 cents a gallon or so??

It's more like 6 bucks a gallon out intown here. On base we pay 3.17 for midgrade and that's the only option.

Back