I'm debating on taking my Busa to Japan.

i would sell the bike, buy bike out there, then sell it when you left, then buy another one once you returned home. if you play your cards right, you may be able to make alittle money at the same time :laugh:

Just to add to my previous post... I bought Bessie in the mainland and then brought her back... So, the right bike can be found and brought home... you might be surprised at some of the bikes that are available...

If it gets stolen, you will be SOL! Sell it or leave it here.

I would sell it myself and buy a bike or car when you get to Japan. It will be cheaper and easier on you. They do have some pretty cool cars over there that you can buy!!

If you have a friend or relative you trust, why not transfer the title to them and have them drive it occasionally, and have the maintenance
done. Just request they do not put too many miles on your Busa.:whistle: Then when you return have them transfer title back to you.

First, it is difficult because you are re-importing a vehicle; specifically one that is not Japanese spec. Also, look into insurance... and see what the coverage is and see it would cost on top.

Start looking at the different lemon lots on the bases and see if you can pick up a bike that is already certified - same with the cars... that will be your best bet. I spent a few years on Okinawa before I lived on the mainland... IMHO - leave your scoot and get one there... I didn't ride on Okinawa; but lots of people do... where will you be stationed?

I will be stationed in Kinser and hopefully live in Kadena. I was thinking of another option to buy an older 99 and below bike here, take it there as household goods. After riding the bike there for 3 years then maybe I can sell it with an INFLATED price before I bounce.

If you have a friend or relative you trust, why not transfer the title to them and have them drive it occasionally, and have the maintenance
done. Just request they do not put too many miles on your Busa.:whistle: Then when you return have them transfer title back to you.

That's what I'm leaning towards right now. A good friend of mine will maintain it while I'm gone. I did the same thing for him last time he deployed. He's pretty responsible, I can't do the title thing coz I still owe money on the bike.

I will be stationed in Kinser and hopefully live in Kadena. I was thinking of another option to buy an older 99 and below bike here, take it there as household goods. After riding the bike there for 3 years then maybe I can sell it with an INFLATED price before I bounce.

The housing on Kadena is great, they have (or at least used to have) an awesome Lemon Lot over by what is now Chili's...

If you didn't take it with you then you would probably be sorry later. Your going to miss the hell out of your Busa!:whistle:

My friend brought his brand new 1198, and his bike is sitting in his living room for decoration.lol. he brings it out every Sunday to start it and run circles in the parking lot. He's only been there for 3 months and debating to send his bike to get inspected.

Another guy had a 999 he brought it to mainland and failed the first time. He ended up forking-out $5000 after bringing it out for the second time when it finally passed. Its nuts! he said he would do it all over again being there's only 3 999s in Okinawa.

I think i'd sell mine here; when I got there try to find one already there to buy and ride for three years (if it's that expensive, I'll bet there is a market within the military community for used bikes already inspected as people PCS), and use all that cash to buy the 2014 model!

Yeah, the 2014s will be about $25000:laugh: But probably have new colors!

Ship, enjoy, ship home, enjoy! Look at costs of bikes in Japan. There is a reason that the top selling area is here and not Japan. Cost is off the hook over there!

Anything can be stored just fine if you do it correctly. Though it is a real PITA.

For a storage that long I would completely drain the fuel system to start. Every inch of it. You want every ounce of fuel out. Injectors and everything. That includes pulling the pump out and cleaning any fuel from it. Both wheels need to be off the ground. I would back off the spring preload in the suspension as much as possible. The brakes will hold up fine though you may want to push the cyliders all the way in on each caliper.
I'd mark the timing chain and back off the tensioner. You can ziptie the chain to the cam sprockets to keep the pin count correct. Then I would loosen the cam holder plates to relieve the pressure on the valves.
Drain the oil completely but don't refill. Leave on old filter. You can change that when you bring it out of storage. I'd still consider pulling the pan and cleaning what you can.
Loosen the backwheel and backoff the chain.
Basicly, anything that's under pressure or tension you want to relieve it. Though the tires you want to leave at pressure.
Just some info if you want to store. I've used this info to store before and it worked great. Cars or bikes.

Last edited:
Sell it. You won't be back in the states enough to ride it and keep it in the whatever condition it is now. Save your money and pic up some Japanese only aftemarket parts for your new scoot when you return.

You're gonna love Okinawa, wish i could go back. i was stationed @ Kadena AB. I left there in 04. You're gonna miss the 2 wheels but get yourself the original Nissan Skyline if you can pick up a cheap one to drive over there. Those things are wicked fast. I had one while i was there and tried to bring it back to the US but it was gonna cost too much to get it to meet US specs.

Sell it. You won't be back in the states enough to ride it and keep it in the whatever condition it is now. Save your money and pic up some Japanese only aftemarket parts for your new scoot when you return.

You're gonna love Okinawa, wish i could go back. i was stationed @ Kadena AB. I left there in 04. You're gonna miss the 2 wheels but get yourself the original Nissan Skyline if you can pick up a cheap one to drive over there. Those things are wicked fast. I had one while i was there and tried to bring it back to the US but it was gonna cost too much to get it to meet US specs.

I here ya! I was there for a year back in 96' hopefully my timing is right when everyone pcs's on summer. I just need to find a seller that is pressured to sell so i can get a good deal. Everyone else thinks their bikes are made of gold! waaay toooo inflated. thanks for the input everyone.

Back