Okinawa frustrations

Registered
Well guys been back here in Okinawa Japan for the past 3 months. I brought my 08' and I'm in the process of spending almost 3 g's trying to ship my busa to mainland and get "emissions/brake test" bs done. The riding here is nice on the northern part of the island, but it takes about an hour and a half to get there (twisties only). As far as opening her up its very retricted coz the express way's speed limit is 80kph, and speed violations is pricey not to mention the international incident you can wrap your self into when you're in the military. You will find yourself paying about 20g's if you want a brand new busa easily. A new 600cc machine will run you an easy 14k, imagine that! Everything is expensive especially with the declining power of the mighty dollar. The yen rate now is .85 yen for every dollar. They have basically everything that you need for your steed here the only problem is you're paying about $270 for a 190 rear tire. The biggest thing here is the amount of scooter riders, its funny that they actually have scooter gangs! If you purchase a japanese spec bike, not only your paying double but you can't ship it home with out costing a bundle of $$$. Nice beaches though.

Not only that--- When I was at Kadina back in the day, it rained every day. Rain in the am, sun in the pm or sun in the am and rain in the pm. And it was HOT!!! ???

Why don't you have the tires sent from a discount retailer here in the states and have them sent to your AP address?

I feel your pain about the tests though to get it on the road. I was in England for 6 years and went through a lot of the same issues there.

I lived in Okinawa for 2 1/2 years as a pup. Loved it there. Why don't you sell the bike there in Okinawa and then just buy a new one when you get back to the states? $3K just to ship it back can't be a good investment......

How much leave do you have saved up? Take 2 weeks and take the ferry out of Naha to mainland and ride it there yourself. Save money and take an awesome ride there on the mainland expressway. Awesome drive, plenty of places to open it up. I spent 4 years on Okinawa, have you talked to any of the guys at motorcycle safety on Kadena? Im sure they have some suggestions.

Well guys been back here in Okinawa Japan for the past 3 months. I brought my 08' and I'm in the process of spending almost 3 g's trying to ship my busa to mainland and get "emissions/brake test" bs done. The riding here is nice on the northern part of the island, but it takes about an hour and a half to get there (twisties only). As far as opening her up its very retricted coz the express way's speed limit is 80kph, and speed violations is pricey not to mention the international incident you can wrap your self into when you're in the military. You will find yourself paying about 20g's if you want a brand new busa easily. A new 600cc machine will run you an easy 14k, imagine that! Everything is expensive especially with the declining power of the mighty dollar. The yen rate now is .85 yen for every dollar. They have basically everything that you need for your steed here the only problem is you're paying about $270 for a 190 rear tire. The biggest thing here is the amount of scooter riders, its funny that they actually have scooter gangs! If you purchase a japanese spec bike, not only your paying double but you can't ship it home with out costing a bundle of $$$. Nice beaches though.

had to do it way back when i had a 929rr good luck

Last edited:
The prices to make our bikes legal is bananas! my 06 is about to leave my house in florida to head here now, hopefully it gets here in less than 2 months. I live on Kadena, where do you live at 1340??

The prices to make our bikes legal is bananas! my 06 is about to leave my house in florida to head here now, hopefully it gets here in less than 2 months. I live on Kadena, where do you live at 1340??

Im in Kinser.

I lived in Okinawa for 2 1/2 years as a pup. Loved it there. Why don't you sell the bike there in Okinawa and then just buy a new one when you get back to the states? $3K just to ship it back can't be a good investment......

It would be a complete waste. The only guys that would buy my bike are the guys heading back to the states. Most guys won't even bother coz they have a better selection in the states. I can't go with out a bike for the next 32 months, I have a couple more bike back in the states so thats not the issue. This place does'nt make any sense when it comes to motorcycle prices. The used cars here are dirt cheap, but the bikes are 3x the price. When I leave here i will get my money back by selling my bike with an inflated price like everyone else. A 99' busa here will still run around $7,000 with no complaints.

That's what I plan on doing 1340. Might as well try and get your return investment on the bike back and see how much someone will pay for it. We'll have to get up sometime in a few months when my bike gets here to get a busa ride together!

Little update to my fellow Busa owners back in the great USA! Well I just got my busa back from Tokyo. If you're not following the saga: I had to send it from Okinawa to Tokyo to get emissions and brake test done. Anyways she passed with no problems minus $2,500 from my wallet. Oh well! I should be riding legally by next week. So far I'm the only 2nd Gen orange busa in Okinawa Japan!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Little update to my fellow Busa owners back in the great USA! Well I just got my busa back from Tokyo. If you're not following the saga: I had to send it from Okinawa to Tokyo to get emissions and brake test done. Anyways she passed with no problems minus $2,500 from my wallet. Oh well! I should be riding legally by next week. So far I'm the only 2nd Gen orange busa in Okinawa Japan!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Now that is Hayabusa dedication! What was the total $ nut all said and done?

damn those are some huge numbers to own RR bike

Just hoping that you dont get any tickets... that 80 km/h is allmost half of first gear..

Post some pics of ride in Okinawa and busa etc. :thumbsup:

damn those are some huge numbers to own RR bike

Just hoping that you dont get any tickets... that 80 km/h is allmost half of first gear..

Post some pics of ride in Okinawa and busa etc. :thumbsup:

I will surely post some pics when i get her on the road. Right now we took a pic of the engine and vin number, to include photos of the front/back/rear of the bike. The GOJ (Government of Japan) is now making a new Japanese title for my bike, then they will contact my translator so I can go ahead and get a Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) inspection. I was lucky that my speedometer has both MPH and Kmh. These guys are anal about OEM parts, if its not stock it will not pass. :thumbsup:

Back