OK I Suck

roached

Registered
I have been riding bikes since i was 16, thats nearly 30 years (mostly the harley variety) I have dragged since my mid twentys, kz1000, zl900 and a vmax, ran an outlaw bike for a couple years and recently bought the busa...I can light the wick as consistant as anyone....cornering is a different story. I thought I was pretty good until I rode with a friends kid, he has a gxr 600 and we went to a twisty road (few and far between in fl) and he kicked my butt bad . So we have been working on it (found out he races after our ride:bowdown:) I have the bike setup according to jinxters instructions and it feels good in the corners now. So we have been working on it. Heres the thing...going left i can fly now, lay it over not dragging, but real comfortable, off the seat and fast through the corner...going right I am slower than my great grandma on a ten speed(with flat tires). I dont get it and neither does he. Any ideas, im sure if i can get my brain wrapped around it I'll get it sorted just not sure where to start. Its to much fun, be allot more fun when I dont suck so bad at it...thanks

Last edited:
Can't help as to why, but I can tell you that, that is the way it for most people until they get over the "fear" thing. But I am just the opposite. I can fly low and fast right hand but going left I always talk myself out of it.

Most people are more comfortable one side or the other you just have to get used to it, Relax and it will come. Good luck :thumbsup:

Track day..

will give you 5 years riding experience in one day (with proper instruction of course)

I have some guys I ride with on 600's and I can not even get near them when we start hitting the corners so... not a big deal, sure sucks though.. :)

same problem here and i believe it is a fear issue as well. i am left handed so i always thought that was a big contributor to my leery right hand turn/lean.

I do the right turns like i was born leaning right. I see the apex for a split second and then look thru the curve and i'm gone.....
Left turns i seem to get fixated on that damn apex and have to force myself to look thru the curve. which makes me slow way down. Constant practice has been the only thing to help me get over this. But if i dont ride everyday those lessons seem to disappear in just a few days. Mind issues? i think so. will i ever get over it? Dang i hope so!

Practice! Like others have said, right-handers are tighter and looking through them often forces you to look at ditches, trees, rocks, etc. which might be messing with your head. Left handers may tend to seem more wide open since you are looking over the entire road. The way I worked at it was finding some curves close to my house that I could see all the way through without any obstructions and just kept practicing. It just took some time until I got to where I could trust my bike, my tires, and myself. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get the suspension tuned. Having the correct setup will go a long way with having confidence in the bike and the tires. Like the others said, practice, practice, practice. I'm better to the right than to the left. My left knee is bad and it makes it harder for me to get off the bike to that side.

A track day or two with predominately RH turns will fix that.

a 600 is more flickable all day than a 1300 big girl, a barely 400 lb bike with a good rider against a 550 lb bike with a good rider you will lose on the busa all day, but catch up quick in the straights

I've always have had the leaning fear when laying into a right curve,,I really liked knee draggin to the left,,but I;ll lean her to the left alot farther than the right,,,,and as for the 600 and 750's they were born for cornering,,,My thrill is comeing out of a left hand turn into a 10 mile straight away and laying into it as Im comeing out of the turn,,,It really feels good comeing out of a r-hand bank and feeling the G's as That bike accelerates into the wMay sound weird,,but its the best hanling bike Ive had that I can remember,,Ive owned a ton of them,,,,the V-max was a blast but it handled like a brick and with no fairings and a big radiater up front,,it was easy to get " Ye-Ole" shopping wheel effects anytime after 120mph ,,but as for torque coming out of the hole,,it was a nice bike,,but alittle top heavy too,,very intiminating,,,,,but it wont catch a busa,nor handle like one either,,,,,,after this blog,,I dont feel so bad about being leary laying into a r-hand turn,,,,,

I've always have had the leaning fear when laying into a right curve,,I really liked knee draggin to the left,,but I;ll lean her to the left alot farther than the right,,,,and as for the 600 and 750's they were born for cornering,,,My thrill is comeing out of a left hand turn into a 10 mile straight away and laying into it as Im comeing out of the turn,,,It really feels good comeing out of a r-hand bank and feeling the G's as That bike accelerates into the wMay sound weird,,but its the best hanling bike Ive had that I can remember,,Ive owned a ton of them,,,,the V-max was a blast but it handled like a brick and with no fairings and a big radiater up front,,it was easy to get " Ye-Ole" shopping wheel effects anytime after 120mph ,,but as for torque coming out of the hole,,it was a nice bike,,but alittle top heavy too,,very intiminating,,,,,but it wont catch a busa,nor handle like one either,,,,,,after this blog,,I dont feel so bad about being leary laying into a r-hand turn,,,,,

Bobber, do you have one, or is there a different story to your Sig, just curious?

Oh and I always wanted a V-Max from day one.

Old thread so I don't mind jacking it a little.:laugh:
Bubba

Back