Oil weight summer temperatures

Anyone using 15w50? It was 111 degrees today in Sacramento. I’m thinking of switching to some thicker oil. Amsoil synthetic 15w50. Thoughts? Thanks

We have relatively tiny motors, 70-80 cubic inch high revving high hp short stroke water cooled inline fours, that spin well over 10,000 rpms. They’re not looong stroke slow revving low hp air cooled big jug twins with dry clutches. Amsoil 10/40 works perfectly. Just my thoughts.

Zook says 10-40 up to and past 100 degrees. Some guys "feel" better with a heavier oil. The only time some motor manufactures say going to a different weight is in extremely cold conditions. In Cali...I'd just stay with the 40.
I'm guessing yer on a Gen II with dual fans...just keep an' eye on your temp gauge...if it climbs past that normal midway point + a pinch,then start to worry.
Rubb.

I heard turbo busa guys use heavy oil sometimes. Like the one you mentioned.

10 years on my Ultra 550 turbo. Still runs good...but I do live on the "frozen tundra" of Western Canada. :laugh:

amsoil 1.JPG

The weight and brand was recommended by this guy....Richard...
dunno.gif

amsoil 2.JPG

15/50 what I use in the summer. Without a tear down to analyze, which might show nothing, there’s no telling.

Agreed. May as well talk tires/tire pressure's/chain cleaning/blah blah blah.
We all have our "Go 2's" :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Back