Synthetic Oil

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
I just switched to synthetic 2 month ago using 40w Mobil 1. Ever since the change when my bike gets up to operating temp, shifting gets louder almost like the gearbox isn't getting enough lubrication. This is starting to get worrisome and my only thought is 1) switch to a 50w oil cause my oil is breaking down too fast..or..2)switch back to regular blend and forget the synthetic thing.

Any help would be appreciated, I've read so many arguments on this board over the years about the switch so I don't know.
I just moved to Phoenix recently so the temps are quite a bit hotter here but I switched out the coolant to engine ice and have never had a problem with temperature even at 105degree heat.

Thanks,

Dan

Have you tried 15w50 yet? Silkolene comp 4 or pro 4 plus in 15w50 is recommended for consistent high temps. The difference between comp 4 and pro 4 plus is the pro 4 is a fully sythetic ester base used in race ready machines. You can use it in your boo. It hurts nothng but your pocket book. It costs a bit more. I wouldn't use 40 weight Mobil 1 myself, but that is personal choice. I think you're right about changing to 50 weight, though. 'Prolly a good choice.

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117440298 -->

I just switched to synthetic 2 month ago using 40w Mobil 1. Ever since the change when my bike gets up to operating temp, shifting gets louder almost like the gearbox isn't getting enough lubrication. This is starting to get worrisome and my only thought is 1) switch to a 50w oil cause my oil is breaking down too fast..or..2)switch back to regular blend and forget the synthetic thing.

Any help would be appreciated, I've read so many arguments on this board over the years about the switch so I don't know.
I just moved to Phoenix recently so the temps are quite a bit hotter here but I switched out the coolant to engine ice and have never had a problem with temperature even at 105degree heat.

Thanks,

Dan
I use 10w-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil in my busa and it works great easy shift every time.

I just switched from Mobil 1 red cap to Amsoil 10w40 and my clutch is very loud engaging first and second gears. It's only been two weeks but I think that I will put in some Silkolene on Tuesday. Just like "UR IT" said, it seems like it's not getting enough lubrication. Silkolene users, help me out. 10w50?

I think I have tried every synthetic made and went back to Castrol Actevo 4T 10W-40.
Easier shifting, stays cooler and quieter. Also I change it every 2000 miles. Turbo made too much noise with the synthetic and good old fossil oil workes great.

Have you tried 15w50 yet? Silkolene comp 4 or pro 4 plus in 15w50 is recommended for consistent high temps. The difference between comp 4 and pro 4 plus is the pro 4 is a fully sythetic ester base used in race ready machines. You can use it in your boo. It hurts nothng but your pocket book. It costs a bit more. I wouldn't use 40 weight Mobil 1 myself, but that is personal choice. I think you're right about changing to 50 weight, though. 'Prolly a good choice.
Thanks...Yeah looks like the way I may go....50w. I just want to stop any hard friction before it gets too bad.

So...everything should be cool with staying synthetic? I've heard stories of synthetic not being good with a wet clutch....anything to that?

I think I have tried every synthetic made and went back to Castrol Actevo 4T 10W-40.
Easier shifting, stays cooler and quieter. Also I change it every 2000 miles. Turbo made too much noise with the synthetic and good old fossil oil workes great.
Yeah no kidding about noise....forget the whole shifting thing.. I get a ton more engine noise than I used to also. I thought the busa made some weird noises before. Maybe the 50w oil will calm that down a bit.

<!--EDIT|UR IT!
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117474801 -->

I recently used Mobil 1 MX4T. I have been using AMS Oil. The Mobil 1 seems to work ok. However, I think I am going to switch back to AMS Oil. I have noticed that my back gets hotter quicker with the Mobil 1. As far as the gear shifting noise...I really haven't noticed it being to loud.

what about 5w-30? this is a new bike 179 miles on it. 2004 busa. broke it in on the local roads, stayed off the rev limiter, and gave it some good runs now im wanting to do the change and a new filter. thing is i don't have a filter yet, not sure which one to use. order one online or pick one up at local parts store. i figured i would change the oil to mobile 1 5w-30 from the 'fish oil' it has in there now (original from dealer), and then change the filter on the next change...

what is the recommendation?

what about 5w-30?   this is a new bike 179 miles on it. 2004 busa.  broke it in on the local roads, stayed off the rev limiter, and gave it some good runs  now im wanting to do the change and a new filter. thing is i don't have a filter yet, not sure which one to use.  order one online or pick one up at local parts store.  i figured i would change the oil to mobile 1 5w-30 from the 'fish oil' it has in there now (original from dealer), and then change the filter on the next change...

what is the recommendation?
Change your filter IMOP before you hit 500 miles...... Then you can do the regular change times! Filter/oil on a new motor should be changed with less than 500-600 miles. But, I'm sure some never did this and everything seems fine. Plus, don't run synthetic on a low milelage bike. Let the thing get a little more milelage on it, then run synthetic. Better safe than sorry...

On the synthetic oil, I have used Mobil 1 gold/red top. But, I prefer Amsoil synthetic. Even when my motor blew up the oil in the case helped prevent additional damage to just about every part coated..... I'm for one a believer!
P.S. never had a problem with a loud tranny, ever running this stuff.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118920978 -->

Back