How bad is it???

Speednut

Registered
In my quest to find which oil I was going to switch to and start using, I have been asking everyone I know what they are running. One of my friends running a GSXR 600 showed me the oil he is using. It was Castrol Syntec synthetic blend(part synthetic) 10W-40 motor oil. It was not motorcycle specific anywhere stated on the bottle. Does this matter at all? I assumed it was not a big deal, and didn't want to tell the guy to switch if he likes it. But I figured I would ask here for opinions that maybe I could pass along to him. P.S. My new choice is Amsoil full synthetic, however it is becoming super aggravating trying to find the stuff. Its not available anywhere in my area(Naperville,IL) and I called 2 different "Dealers" for Amsoil in my area, and one never called back. The other told me just order it from Amsoils website. Is that the only way to get their oil? Thanks for your inputs.

any good quality SG grade oil... I would hold off any synthetic until you get a few thousand on the odometer..

OK. I was hoping this was the case. Still unhappy about this amsoil though. I understand their wanting to advertise by word of mouth only, but there has to be asier ways to get it, or a lot of potential customers will turn to something easier to obtain!

You can just become an Amsoil disto yourself...
smile.gif
a lot of guys run it and it is cheaper than the Mobile1 motorcycle blend I get ($9 a qt to my door)

Well if you can get a couple of people together, you can become a dealer or a preferred customer. Basically with the preferred customer you get a 20% discount. Yearly membership is $20 so if you can spend more than $100 a year between you and your friends, you will make out in the deal. I do believe a dealer account is $5 more but I have yet to get the info on that yet..

I am willing to bet that some of those dealers that Amsoil has listed are just people who actually save $$ by being a dealer and really don't sell to much at all. But don't quote me on that..

I can't say from experience that semi synth or car oil is not as good as (fill in the blank) because I don't use it in my motorcycles. I also think that semi synth is only half as good as it could be, but I can say from experience, that Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle specific engine oil lubricates better, allows the motor to run cooler and lasts longer than conventional (dino) oil. I also feel the transmission shifts smoother. I've used it in my 06 Busa since breakin now at 21,000+ and in my 1982 air cooled transverse inline six cylinder CBX since breakin, and its now approaching 90,000 miles. When I rebuild the 79 CBX I'll run Amsoil in it too. Maybe I should be a dealer...but I hate packaging things and taking them to the post office.....
sad.gif

I am an Amsiol dealer, in San Diego. I sell to forum members for $1.00 over cost, plus shipping and tax. Works out well for ya'.

Ron

You can just become an Amsoil disto yourself...
smile.gif
a lot of guys run it and it is cheaper than the Mobile1 motorcycle blend I get ($9 a qt to my door)
NINE dollars a quart?!?!?!

Again, I have yet to even hear of an engine failing due to the use of dino oil. I don't see why people switch to synthetic.

I have known folks to have clutch slippage issues after switching to full synthetic.

I have run the Castrol sys. in three different bikes for a total of 100,000 plus miles with zero oil related issues engine or clutch.

I know this is going to sound CRAZY......BUt a really good buddy of mine that runs a GSXR 1K and is a mechanic....runs Delvac diesel oil....and he showed me the oil after it was run in his bike for 3500 miles...it was barely turning color...and had plenty of viscosity left....so I started running it in both of my Busas....and I have yet to have any problems.....they don't overheat.....no problems with the clutch...no weird noises.....plus you can get a gallon for about $11....

I run Amsoil full synth 10W40. After my last tear down my internals all looked perfect - pistons, bearings, rods etc. That was after 16k REALLY hard miles and about 100 lbs of nitrous.

I'm sold on Amsoil, but I'm lucky in that one of my friends is a distributor.

As far as the person saying that running synthetic ruins your clutch:
bs.gif

Cobravenom, Castrol does not make a full synthetic oil. Their oil is a blend. The Government sued and they paid a fine for false advertising. Since then, the FTC has allowed them to advertise synthetic and pay a fee. It is like the makers of TAB, the soft drink, it said it was zero calories, it wasn't. The FTC allowed them to advertise that it was if they paid a fee. Great protection, that FTC, HUH?

Ron

I became an Amsoil dealer in my area. Started out just so I could get a dicount but alot of the guys in town stop by. I'm sold on it. Its all I use in any of my vehicles.

Cobravenom,  Castrol does not make a full synthetic oil. Their oil is a blend. The Government sued and they paid a fine for false advertising. Since then, the FTC has allowed them to advertise synthetic and pay a fee. It is like the makers of TAB, the soft drink, it said it was zero calories, it wasn't. The FTC allowed them to advertise that it was if they paid a fee. Great protection, that FTC, HUH?

Ron
Are you serious. Those a-wipes. Now I'm pissed.

Aside from Amsoil, What oils are still fully synthetic?

I heard mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic anymore, too.

In my quest to find which oil I was going to switch to and start using, I have been asking everyone I know what they are running. One of my friends running a GSXR 600 showed me the oil he is using. It was Castrol Syntec synthetic blend(part synthetic) 10W-40 motor oil. It was not motorcycle specific anywhere stated on the bottle. Does this matter at all? I assumed it was not a big deal, and didn't want to tell the guy to switch if he likes it. But I figured I would ask here for opinions that maybe I could pass along to him. P.S. My new choice is Amsoil full synthetic, however it is becoming super aggravating trying to find the stuff. Its not available anywhere in my area(Naperville,IL) and I called 2 different "Dealers" for Amsoil in my area, and one never called back. The other told me just order it from Amsoils website. Is that the only way to get their oil? Thanks for your inputs.
Naperville, huh
rock.gif
I have a house in Aurora and in Lemont... You going to the bash?
ThumbsUp.gif

Dear Friends

Exactly which kind of AMSOIL should be run in a 'Busa? There seem to be a lot of different kinds. I plan to change my 'Busa's oil at 1500 miles. Should I put in Suzuki oil again (was last changed at 580 miles) or switch to AMSOIL?

Maybe I should switch to AMSOIL at 2500 or 3000 miles. I don't know. I just want to put the best oil I can in my 'Busa.

Back