Oil sight glass indicating full after filling tank with 4 litres

Versicarius

Registered
Changed the oil and filter recently, and due to the sight glass indicating that it wanted more oil (after running the bike and letting it cool), I ended up putting nearly the whole 4 litres in. After running the bike for a few minutes again and then letting it cool for an hour or so, the sight glass still indicated it was only full and not overfilled. Given that it takes 3.3L when changing oil and filter I was expecting the sight glass to be well over the F line?

I've drained a bit out since as I was paranoid about riding round with too much oil, but even now the sight glass is halfway between the L and F line and I didn't drain that much. Any ideas why it's taken so much oil?

Last edited:
No way you should be have 4 liters of oil in there! Thats like 4 1/4 quarts! A gen 1 is 3.3L (~3.5 Quarts).

1696691313997.png

I use Motul oil and I have noted the containers are less than a liter (800ml).....I'm used to these oil containers being 1 liter...

I remember the first time I did an oil change I wondered why the site window was low until I looked at the side of the container and had a "duh" moment....

Sad but true in so many places, just like food packaging.
At a glance we think that the price increase wasn't that bad...then we notice the amount went down too.
I look really closely at oil containers now too(and most everything).
I've had similiar experiences as yours.
And to me, it's like Really? Come on.
The manufacturers know that in most circumstances you need to buy a certain volume, but they don't always package it accordingly.
It costs what it costs, I don't quite get the marketing deception anymore.

Pretty sure my gen 2 with new empty filter took 3.7 litres to put the oil in the upper level of sight glass.

Back