Oil capacity by manual versus reality?

No.2of20

Registered
Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well.

I see this has been covered a little bit but I would like to know what you think?

Oh and going to go all metro metric coz that's what we do down here.

So I did my first oil and filter change as mentioned before.
The manual says if you change the filter you need 3.3 litres.
If you don't change the filter you only need 3.1 litres.
I changed the filter so in 3.3 litres went.
The manual also says you should run your oil level by the sight glass in the middle of low and high.
Makes sense.
I can't see the oil in the sight glass as I can't level the bike without sitting on it but I had a mate over and we checked it out.
There was no oil in the sight glass after doing the 3 minute thing.
I had to add another 700 mls to get it
to the middle of the sight glass.
So pretty much 4 litres is in.
Funnily enough that s what came out.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers
Shane.

I just did an oil change and filter , went 3300ml , ran it through then left it overnight , checked next day , no worries the right amount by window check . Have you had another look / recheck after running it through and let it sit for a good length of time ?

I always check my oil level when the motor is cold, as Toad said leave it for a good length of time…. Also, use a paddock stand to get the bike vertical for the check, this way you can do it on your own.
I used to kneel down and hold the bike by myself to look at the sight glass.. pretty risky really and I never do if like that anymore, not a good look having a Busa laying on top of me!
3300ml is what I put in mine, correct level every time.

@No.2of20

hi aussi :)

fill in oil til 2 millimeters under the full-mark at the gauge
no matter how much it will be in litres.

the manual say lots of time 3.3 liters without and 3.7 liters with filter

as often as i did the whole change at a busa (gen1 + 2) i allways needed nearly the complete 4 litre can with around 100-150 ml rest in the can. (i do that job as a semi prof in repair & maintaining)
so rest easy / be calm - you did it right.

my hint :
ignore the numbers of litres but fill in till 2 mm under full in the gauge.

my way :
3 litres in - motor start for 2-3 seconds - then wait 2 minutes and fill in the rest.

main thing : the busa stood nearly horizontal in both directions. :)

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well.

I see this has been covered a little bit but I would like to know what you think?

Oh and going to go all metro metric coz that's what we do down here.

So I did my first oil and filter change as mentioned before.
The manual says if you change the filter you need 3.3 litres.
If you don't change the filter you only need 3.1 litres.
I changed the filter so in 3.3 litres went.
The manual also says you should run your oil level by the sight glass in the middle of low and high.
Makes sense.
I can't see the oil in the sight glass as I can't level the bike without sitting on it but I had a mate over and we checked it out.
There was no oil in the sight glass after doing the 3 minute thing.
I had to add another 700 mls to get it
to the middle of the sight glass.
So pretty much 4 litres is in.
Funnily enough that s what came out.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers
Shane.
Between 3.8 - 3.9 liters
This is if you follow the Suzuki handbook for checking oil ,
Start and run for 2 minutes
Turn off wait 3 minutes
Check top up until full line ,(bike vertical)
This is what the Suzuki handbook states

Between 3.8 - 3.9 liters
This is if you follow the Suzuki handbook for checking oil ,
Start and run for 2 minutes
Turn off wait 3 minutes
Check top up until full line ,(bike vertical)
This is what the Suzuki handbook states
It does say put 3.3 liters in then carry out above process
Then top up

I just did an oil change and filter , went 3300ml , ran it through then left it overnight , checked next day , no worries the right amount by window check . Have you had another look / recheck after running it through and let it sit for a good length of time ?
Yeah, I never bother to check the correct level if the engine is warm let alone just ran. Hot oil takes up a larger volume than cold oil and it takes hours for all the oil to run down to the sump. That it is the time to check the correct level. Check when cold and always check on the same floor in the same spot just to be sure. A little tilt in the floor forward or back might make a bit of a difference in checking the oil level. Obviously, have the bike balanced straight up and down. Having a friend check it while you hold it balanced vertical is a good thing to do, you don't want to drop the bike while checking oil.

Been a long while since I changed oil on my Gen2 but I remember the capacity for oil change with new filter stated in the service manual was accurate for my bike.

@No.2of20

main thing : the busa stood nearly horizontal in both directions. :)
This part right here :thumbsup:. I've found it to be very important, if you only use a rear stand like I've noticed a lot of people do it will read full when it's actually not. And if only using a rear stand and filling to the middle of the sight glass like some people do then when it's sitting level on the tires it'll barely show in the sight glass if at all and I've noticed this on quite a few different bikes not just the busa.

Cheers guys.
Yes well we don't like to do it but reading the manual is not a bad idea.

So it says if you change the filter and its empty add 3.3 litres so this must be the minimum and then check the level in the window with the bike vertical after doing the 3 minute thing.
Top up to the correct level which is middle of the window.

Sorry for not reading this properly and wasting your time.

Cheers
Shane.

If I drain four quarts of hot oil, I add four quarts. I don’t get this ‘add less oil than you (know) you need and wait three minutes and check‘ only to see that you (need) to add more. WTH guys?

Genuine owners manual, this is Suzuki instructions not mine

IMG_20220909_123535.jpg

IMG_20220909_123544.jpg

Back