1st Service Motor Oil Amount?

KS9495

Registered
Sent my Busa in for its first service today. Used Castrol Full Synthetic. The problem is that the manual specifies 3.3 liters however my Suzuki mechanic used 4 liters. He filled it up till it was at the F indicator then started the engine for about 5 mins. We waited another 5 mins after the engine stopped but the oil never showed anywhere on the glass. We kept topping it up bit by bit & used up 4 liters. Then after riding it around for a bit the oil is now way past the F indicator.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

using a CLEAN catch pan, drain it & start over. if one isn't available, drain it and start over with new oil. last thing you want is contaminants in the oil. when it first was checked, was it on level ground and not on the kickstand. (straight up & down)

or you could loosen the plug enough to let some out, kinda messy this way, but might be the best/ simplest way. I've put 3.5-3.75 quarts in mine before, was over the full mark and had no problems. not sure how much over you can go before problems begin.good luck.

This was the first service. The oil filter should have been changed as well. The manual calls for more when you change the filter and if you do the math - 3.3 ltrs is about 3.75-3.85 quarts - which would equal about 5-8 oz two much - which would not hurt anything. When I change mine I change the filter and dump in a fresh gallon container of my favorite 15W-40.

Agree - borderline in my book if its too full. I usually use EXACT oil amount and add maybe an extra ounce or so figuring I dribble some here and there so my measurement isn;t as exact as I thought..... :beerchug:

Here are the official capacities from the service manual. When following these I am right at the F line. The bike should have both wheels on the ground, then lift the bike off the sidestand until it is upright to check the sight glass.

2008HayabusaCapacities.jpg

Last edited:
Sent my Busa in for its first service today. Used Castrol Full Synthetic. The problem is that the manual specifies 3.3 liters however my Suzuki mechanic used 4 liters. He filled it up till it was at the F indicator then started the engine for about 5 mins. We waited another 5 mins after the engine stopped but the oil never showed anywhere on the glass. We kept topping it up bit by bit & used up 4 liters. Then after riding it around for a bit the oil is now way past the F indicator.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Did you stand the bike upright when looking at the sight glass...?

My guess is he just filled it on the kickstand and didn't do it correctly... :banghead:

I run just over 3.5qts. (a hair below full on the sight glass) and have no problems... :beerchug:

This was the first service. The oil filter should have been changed as well. The manual calls for more when you change the filter and if you do the math - 3.3 ltrs is about 3.75-3.85 quarts - which would equal about 5-8 oz two much - which would not hurt anything. When I change mine I change the filter and dump in a fresh gallon container of my favorite 15W-40.

Your math is a little off.

3.3 liters = 3.487 quarts [US, liquid]

Last edited:
I RUN A LITTLE MORE THAN 4 QTS IN MY BIKES ALL THE TIME!!

BETTER TO HAVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH THAN TOO LITTLE!!

4QTS IS PERFECT!!:laugh:

Back