Low Oil Level

busanewb

Registered
Just got done doing an oil change. Before I drained the old oil I noticed it was right below the low level line on the sight glass. I just got done with a 300 mile ride with a few hard pulls topping out the bike along with crushing at high speeds (90 to 95 mph) for 15 to 20 minutes at a time I know it's not ideal to ride on low but was I still in the safe level of oil?

Few variables in how you read the level in the glass. Bike level? Wheels on ground or rear lifted with paddock stand? If you lift the rear the level in the glass will appear lower than when you've got the bike level wheels down.

High speed is relative. The bike will do 180 mph all day. I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you get the level right after the oil change, no harm in having a little too much oil as long as you can still see the level in the sight glass.

My bike doesn't seem to use much oil, even during a track day when we're goosing the redline in 4th or 5th. You notice the tyre wear though...

Better a little low than high cause it can whip up the oil and make bubbles in it. Bearings don't live well lubed with bubbles. If you had no warning lights, which would happen if low enough to suck air, than you had no problem at all. If too low long term you can wear out the oil and run a bit hotter but that's way low for way long. The more marginal the oil the less it can forgive these little oversights though, conversely of coarse the more premium (read synthetic) the easier for the oil to cover for high stress happenings. (low oil, super hot days, running extra hard, stop n go traffic, seeing blue lights in your mirror)

Disclaimer; In my list of examples I need to be clear that I personally never never ever ride in stop n go traffic lol

Let's not go down the BS path with bubbles in the oil...for leaning into a curve would be fatal for the engine then. Ask an endurance racer about oil levels, they all run 'em on the high side.

And yes good quality oil is more forgiving, we can all agree on that.

Bike is fairly level. I usually go by how level the oil is in the sight glass since the bike is lowered in the rear more. I roll the rear tire on on some plywood to get it accurately leveled. I've attached pictures of before and after the oil change. Like I said I know its not ideal just want to verify that I was in a safe area oil level.

Screenshot_20170626-210132.png

20170626_183928.jpg

If the bike was level the top picture has over 3 liters in it,probably 3.3-3.5 so it's ok, 2nd picture is where I would want to be after cold start running for 2 minutes, settle for 3 minutes holding level

Both pictures are after bike has already ran and sat over night meaning oil from top end has settled to the bottom

Let's not go down the BS path with bubbles in the oil...
I thought I would ask an expert about your opine and maybe you just don't like the poor wording of "bubbles" his reply (and just his opinion I understand) ...

"If the oil level is too high, it can contact moving parts in such a manner as air is mixed into it. The result is air pockets oil galleries, and less liquid oil to cool parts such as piston skirts. The "foam" also sticks in places and doesn't drain back to the pan, and could insulate parts from normal heat transfer."

I think some situations where high rps is constant a good bit of oil stays in the head so the crank thinks the level is low to normal so that is why they run it a bit high, but sitting at a red light it all would be in the pan. Maybe a zook engine the sump isn't in close enough proximity to the crank etc but I still stick with foam doesn't lube well and I would rather a little low than high and think he has nothing to worry about.

Let's not go down the BS path with bubbles in the oil...for leaning into a curve would be fatal for the engine then. Ask an endurance racer about oil levels, they all run 'em on the high side.

And yes good quality oil is more forgiving, we can all agree on that.

leaned into a curve...or the engine at 10 or 11 o'clock for a few miles at a time:beerchug:

3.25 quarts will fill to lower line
3.5 will fill to middle
3.75 will fill to top line
4 qts will fill window

I always used 3.75qts, just me.
Many people here have and do use 4 qts
and have never had an issue.

Back