Oil Level keeps going down?

Mhengst

Registered
Guys,

I have searched for an answer on this but I get conflicting info. I have a 2011 with 2500 miles on it. I got my oil changed at 600 miles at the dealer. at 1700 miles I checked the oil window and it was on the low line so I put a 1/2 quart in. Now at 2500 it was just above the low line again. I put another 1/2 quart in and it is on the high line again. I have Vance and Hines cs 1 slipons and they do show any evidence of oil burn and I park it in my garage and there is no evidence of oil leakage. Is this normal? I will be taking it back in at 3000 for another oil change and ask the dealer to take a look at everything.

Thanks for any input.

Martin

It does sound like it's burning oil. Maybe the rings didn't seat properly during the break in period? That is possible if you were too gentle during the break in. This, of course is just a guess. That said, let me ask you a question. Are you checking the oil window while the bike is on the side stand? If you are, then you are overfilling the oil and that could also explain burning some oil.

I check the oil while on a paddock stand so its level to the ground. Would it be a warranty repair if its the rings?

Most vehicles they claim certain amount of oil consumption is "normal". My Busa does not move level between oil changes that I can notice. I would consider a quart in 3000 miles to be alarming.

I check the oil while on a paddock stand so its level to the ground. Would it be a warranty repair if its the rings?

Damn skippy it would be. Are they slip ons and do you have the stock pipes??? Just wonder because I'm not sure if they would try to back of the warranty with aftermarket pipes.

They are slipons and the dealer actually installed them for me. Looks like I will be taking her in sooner than later to the dealer to check out.

HELL YES TAKE HER IN!!! That is a warranty thing. DON'T LET THE STEALERSHIP GET YOU THOUGH!!!:rulez:

I'd be curious if you checked it left it alone until the next oil change, if the level would be the same. :poke:

I had a small oil leak once, and it was the o-ring inside the water pump on the oil side. Very tricky to detect. Good luck.

Mine has 12,000 miles on it and the oil level has been steady. Don't let the dealership say the slip on pipes void the warranty there are laws that protect you from dealers saying that. Good luck finding the oil usage.

If you noticed iy loosing after the oil change make sure the drain plug isn't leaking. If it is leaking don't touch it take back.

That's strange, i have a 2011 busa with 26000 miles on it and oil level stays the same every time i check it. I think you should bring it to the dealer.

Back