Oil Leak

Boba

Registered
I knocked my '05 off it's kickstand in the garage (nice smooth concrete floor), did very little damage and seemingly only scratched the mag cover a bit. However, since then after I ride and put it on the kickstand I'll get maybe five drops of oil under the mag cover and the bottom of it will have a little oil. If I put it on a wheelstand so it's verticle, no drips. After about an hour, there are no more drips. I've tightened up the bolts on the cover - no change, replaced the gasket - no change, and added some gaskets to the cover bolts - no change. It seems the oil comes from the cover bolts on the lower 1/3 of the cover, which would make some sense, but it should have been easy to stop. I've less than 5,000 miles (still OEM tires!) and this was the only time it's ever been down. The mag cover doesn't show any cracks or damage.

Any clues out there?

you need to check that cover real close. Since it is magnesium it will crack real easy with very little impact. I hate to spring that on you but that would be my guess. Tightening the bolts will not help.

There is a tiny stress crack between the bolts(get a led light and shine on it it will show like a candle in the dark,white light doesn't show well)that's why it leaks right after a ride then stops,like most metal heat will make crack expand(oil then seeps when hot it thins out),when it cools down(Oil seeps till cool cause it then thickens as it cools making it thicker)less leak now...replace it...

Recommend going with a woodcraft...

Thank you all for your responses - It's what I was drifting toward but didn't want to invest in until necessary. Looks kinda necessary, huh?

NC Mustang's comment either means an aftermarket part or that I should break out my old platters and revisit Woodstock. Wish it were the second...

I truly dislike my local dealer who deals with every bike but isn't partial to any - hacks them all up, and I would rather buy online - any clues as to good sites? In earlier road-racing days I used to deal with BikeBandit - still good?

Again, thank you all for your help and gift of experience.

Bob

Thank you all for your responses -  It's what I was drifting toward but didn't want to invest in until necessary.  Looks kinda necessary, huh?

NC Mustang's comment either means an aftermarket part or that I should break out my old platters and revisit Woodstock.  Wish it were the second...

I truly dislike my local dealer who deals with every bike but isn't partial to any - hacks them all up, and I would rather buy online - any clues as to good sites?  In earlier road-racing days I used to deal with BikeBandit - still good?

Again, thank you all for your help and gift of experience.

Bob
I think Street & Track was doing the woodcraft's...

Back