Oil leak after rebuild???

swimmer7946

Registered
Hey guys, just finished buttoning up the motor after getting 2nd gear redone and after dealling with a couple of gremlins (stuck fan, bad battery and a busted thermostat cover) i was all set to fill er up and take her out.....I filled her up with a bit more oil than called for at an oil change since I emptied the oil cooler when I split cases....I had the bike on stands and fired her up looking for signs of leaks...there was a little smoke coming from the header from greasy fingerprints but no biggie..I ran the bike for about 20 minutes revin it up every so often...Now when I took it out to beat on her a bit things seemed ok until I got to my destination after going really fast...had oil all over the right side..I dont know if I have a crappy clutch gasket or a starter clutch assemby gasket..I cleaned everything up and tighten down the bolts a touch and went on my way...I got it up to about 90mph.. for a few miles...shut her down and checked again...no visible leaks so I decided to beat the snot outta her....did a couple of high speed I rpm runs...shut her her down..checked...all good...did one last run and CRAP!!! same problem! WTF?? Now I know I filled it up a little too much maybe a half quart but I wheelie a lot...could the side cover gasket fail at high rev high pressure...or maybe the extra oil blew out the crankcase breather....Last nite I took the starter cover gasket off and jsut used some permetex gray...ran a thin bead....started up this morning-no leaks...whatcha guys think???

Shouldn't be a problem if you use new gaskets and torque everything to spec.

not to be a ass but obsessively either messed up gasket or just something isnt sealed completely all the way or of course he wouldnt be having this issue

Last edited:
Back