Help- Oil Leak on Valve Cover

TRALL

Registered
Need some help......I have a oil leak and traced it back to the valve cover (I think that what it's called) that cover that sits directly on top on the motor and directly under the gas tank and frame. It appears to be a small leak at the very end of the cover on the right side, there is a half circle shape from the top cover that mates with the engine block and that is wear I see the fresh leak. The leak is small where my oil level did not make a change you could notice at the sight glass.

?'s
How hard is it to replace the valve cover gasket?
What would cause a leak there?
Is that what the black top cover is called?
By Doing the mods. mention below cause the valve cover gasket to leak?

I have a 06 Busa with 2000 miles and this past week did the following mods's- installed power commander III, and did the marble mod. on the air hose that was listed here at the org, I have aftermarket exhaust. By doing these mods. cause a leak on the valve cover gasket? After I did these mods. I went for a short drive and when I was stopped in front of my garage door a saw a puff of smoke caused from oil dripping on my exhust and then went to find the sorrce of the leak. After wiping the oil residue I found, I left the right panel off and went for a short drive around the blaok and then I could see the fresh oil on the right side valve gasket?

Thanks in advance for any help
please.gif
please.gif

please.gif

i doubt that your mods caused the leak. I'm assuming ur talking about the cylinder head cover. I'd start with replacing the gasket. shouldn't be too hard. I've not done it on a busa but on other bikes. just remove the cylinder head cover (inspect the area where you found the leak for any dents or nicks), scrape off the gasket with a razor blade (make sure none goes in ur cylinder head compartment), put some black gasket seal on both the compartment and cover, put on the new gasket, and put the cylinder head cover back on. the screws may have to be tightened in a specific order but u can try tightening them opposite one another for an even seal.

just to be sure we're talking about the same part, look it up on here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseof....59

click on the Engine and Exhaust icon then look for the Cylinder Head Cover diagram.

Remove cover,remove gasket carefully,clean with no lint rag,clean channel it sits in,then get some black or gold high temp silicone and goupe a bit on half circles where they sit in case,reinstall cover to specs,let dry overnight bolt up and crank check for leaks..
thumb_up.gif

Update- I called a local Suzuki mechanic and asked him for his thought's..... He said it sounded like increased pressure causing the leak since it only started after I did the marble mod. to the pair valve and his first thought was to take the marble back out and since the leak would only start when I rode the bike and not when it was parked at idle then the leak might stop since less pressue and no marble blocking hose and problem fixed. Has anuone else has this issue?
rock.gif

Here's the odd but good news. I took the marble out and went on the same drive I did earlier when I first noticed the leak and when I got back home and checked no oil to be found. I am glad it's fixed but does this make since to anyone?
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

It a few minutes, I am going on a longer ride to test it out before I put my panel back on. Also the marble mod was done with the thread from this forum that had the step by step pictures and the right hose was used just to eliminate that as a reason. The hose that is located in the middle/rear of the airbox housing that is only around 6 inches long with a metal pressure clip at each end and the other end is connected to a small square type housing, this is the one the marble was in.

Thanks for the relpies so far and again does this make any sense to anyone?

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Actually, do what GoldenChild said. That's the right solution for you.

--Wag--

if the marble mod is the same as the PAIR mod where u block the vent hose that goes from the engine casing to the air box, then yeah it makes total sense. when u block that hose, u seal the motor's ventilation. pressure can build up within the motor casing and cause the the problem u had.

stunters have to make that mod all the time because high revs from wheelies cause pressure build up in the motor casing, and with the bike standing up and pressure build up, oil tends to go up that hose and into the airbox and cylinders, causing smoke to come out of the exhaust. therefore they just block the hose to prevent the oil from traveling up into the airbox.

One last update- Went for a 30 minute drive and everything back to normal and no small leak on the cylinder cover as before. I took some tissue paper to the area I had the small leak before on the half moon area on the right side end cylinder cover as before and no oil residue.

So taking the marble back out did the job and I am happy again
biggrin.gif
Still not totally sure why it had that effect since from the marble mod. thread alot of folks with aftermarket exhaust have done that mod. and so far no one else posted they had the same problem as I did. If anyone else has please post for I know I am not the only one.....

Thanks again......

The marble mod for the exhaust blocks the hose in the air box going to the pair valve system which is at the right rear area of the air box. You blocked off the hose that vents the crank case to the air box which will cause pressure to build in the engine and can cause leaks. I think you blocked the wrong hose for the mod you wanted to do.

^^okay, so the now i've heard it called 3 different names: the marble mod, the PAIR mod, and the Kleen Air mod.

The marble mod for the exhaust blocks the hose in the air box going to the pair valve system which is at the right rear area of the air box. You blocked off the hose that vents the crank case to the air box which will cause pressure to build in the engine and can cause leaks. I think you blocked the wrong hose for the mod you wanted to do.
If he had said in the beginning what he says now I would have told him marble was in wrong place..The marble goes in hose on right side of airbox,where it comes up from the valve on front of motor with 4 tubes hooked to head..No need to pull valve cover off.

If he had said in the beginning what he says now I would have told him marble was in wrong place..The marble goes in hose on right side of airbox,where it comes up from the valve on front of motor with 4 tubes hooked to head..No need to pull valve cover off.
Thanks guys and that explains the mystery as what was going on.  I'll locate the correct hose you mentioned and install the marble.  

Thanks for your guidance and problem solving...
clap.gif
clap.gif

clap.gif

I just realized, my bike has a short stubby block off hose on the right side of the airbox. I need to check but it may be, I've been running this mod all along. I just always thought that was how it was supposed to be.

--Wag--

Back