oil leak

74madvette

Registered
got an oil leak, I checked the bolts everywhere under there, and all but one I could tighten, (but very minimal) but I dont think it was enough to cause a leak, but it was the bolt thats just above where you see the allen head.. I am hoping the bolt was the reason.. but incase it wasn't what would I have to do to correct this? the other side of the bike is clean.. it's an 03 with 1700 miles

DSC07592.JPG

DSC07593.JPG

DSC07599.JPG

Check out that flange fitting and line going to the oil cooler for cracks. There is an O-ring under the flange fitting where the two cap screw secure it to the engine. There is also a O-ring on the crank balancer which is the part with the arm with the single bolt and cap screw clamp setup. Hopefully it is something simple like the hose. I have to replace the hose that goes to my cam chain tensioner because it has oil seeping around the hose fitting where it was crimped. Damn things are expensive too!

Last edited:
It is the adjustment for the crank balancer gear. Look closely at the shaft it clamps around and you will see little increment markings and I think the shaft is slotted so it can be moved with a screw driver. I know about that thing because it was a hang up I ran into when I did my transmission back in 06'. It has a inner and outer construction. The way it works is the bolt holds it in place inside the engine and the cap screw holds the shaft attached to the gear in place. I deals with that vibration problem you might hear some owners complain about or even the strange rattling noise coming from the engine.

Oh snaps! I just saw the coolant res. in the photo. Remove your clutch slave cylinder and look around the seal that your clutch push rod sticks through. It usually leaks around that damn thing. If you just changed your oil or it may just have a bit too much in there I had the same problem and when the oil level was reduced it stopped leaking. The only way to replace that sucker is to drop the engine and split the cases too. If it is leaking it just may have too much oil. Hope that little check shines some light. I am kind of skeptical of it being the crank balancer or oil cooler hose now.

Oh snaps! I just saw the coolant res. in the photo. Remove your clutch slave cylinder and look around the seal that your clutch push rod sticks through. It usually leaks around that damn thing. If you just changed your oil or it may just have a bit too much in there I had the same problem and when the oil level was reduced it stopped leaking. The only way to replace that sucker is to drop the engine and split the cases too. If it is leaking it just may have too much oil. Hope that little check shines some light. I am kind of skeptical of it being the crank balancer or oil cooler hose now.

thanks Haya01B..

I did changed the oil recently and did overfill it, I drained someout.. no more leaks.. wow good call..

Way to help out :bowdown:

good info! :thumbsup:

Been fighting a leak on the Busa engine after an oil change recently. Seems we may hve overfilled the oil a bit too. Hope draining off some, stops the oozing.

If the oil is overfilled, will it affect how the engine runs? Under heavy breaking the engien stumbles. Thanks for the post all.

Feff

Last edited:
Reviving old thread to say thanks. Another overfilled busa causing an oil leak. The search engine is your friend.

Thanks for a great site and everyones knowledge.

Merry Christmas!

Back