Oil Change

roughshooter69

Registered
just about to do my oil and filter change and just thought I'd ask how do you do yours? I tend to add a flush run it for a while then drain the system I leave the sump plug off then flush the system through with some cheap oil till it runs clear from the sump then let her stand over night attach the sump plug and filter then fill her up with some quality oil do any of you guys have any suggestions???

WOW
Sounds a little overkill, but can't hurt.
What kind of oil do you use?
How often do you change it?
Do you change the filter each time?
I drain mine when hot, let it stand for about an hour, replace the plug and fill her up.
Change it every 4000 kms, and filter each time.

just about to do my oil and filter change and just thought I'd ask how do you do yours? I tend to add a flush run it for a while then drain the system I leave the sump plug off then flush the system through with some cheap oil till it runs clear from the sump then let her stand over night attach the sump plug and filter then fill her up with some quality oil do any of you guys have any suggestions???

Yea, that IS overkill. Just change the oil and filter. It will still love ya'.

Flush? Sounds like a bad idea..

ENGINE FLUSHES:
If you have a wet-clutch on your motorcycle, you need to remove the clutch pack before using any engine flush (such as Gunk "5 Minute Engine Flush"). If you have a dry clutch, this is not an issue, and we recommend using this flush if you notice any varnish on your engine internals or sludge deposits in your oil (especially as you change it). Changing your oil more frequently, and using a good grade of oil will help keep you from needing to use an engine flush product.
NOTE: Some motorcycle engines have oil coolers and other reservoir areas retain oil during a typical oil change (example: Bandit and GSXF engines retain up to 35% of the oil between the tranny, oil cooler and upper engine); when you do an oil flush on such an engine, you need to drain the cooler after wards and do two oil changes in short succession to each other (with 5 to 10 minutes of engine run-time between the oil changes). This will net you about 95% of the oil being renewed and guarantee enough of the oil flush product has been cleared out. If doing this, change your oil filter at the time of the final oil change.

taken from this site

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html

Last edited:
Flush? Sounds like a bad idea..

ENGINE FLUSHES:
If you have a wet-clutch on your motorcycle, you need to remove the clutch pack before using any engine flush (such as Gunk "5 Minute Engine Flush"). If you have a dry clutch, this is not an issue, and we recommend using this flush if you notice any varnish on your engine internals or sludge deposits in your oil (especially as you change it). Changing your oil more frequently, and using a good grade of oil will help keep you from needing to use an engine flush product.
NOTE: Some motorcycle engines have oil coolers and other reservoir areas retain oil during a typical oil change (example: Bandit and GSXF engines retain up to 35% of the oil between the tranny, oil cooler and upper engine); when you do an oil flush on such an engine, you need to drain the cooler after wards and do two oil changes in short succession to each other (with 5 to 10 minutes of engine run-time between the oil changes). This will net you about 95% of the oil being renewed and guarantee enough of the oil flush product has been cleared out. If doing this, change your oil filter at the time of the final oil change.

taken from this site

Understand Motorcycle Oil @ MotorCycleAnchor.COM

I agree.
I thought he drained the oil and then just ran 4 quarts of cheap oil as a flush, and then drained that out and left it overnight.
I would NEVER use any kind of flush product on my bike.
Good oil and change it (and filter) often.

cool thanks for all the imput I'll give the engine flush a miss it would have been the first time I have used it I usually change the oil every 3-4000 miles just depends what it looks like through the spy hole I have just emptied the oil after warming her up the filled her up again with a cheap shell oil that we use at work ran her up again and drained her again left things open so she can drip over night well till I get home frome work tomorrow evening then I attach the K&N oil filter and fill her up with Motul 5100 10 40

WOW!! I thought I was anal by changing my oil using synthetic every 1000 to 1500 miles!! Little overkill there!

Back