Wheee!!! i just stripped my oil plug

BIGSMOOTHH

Donating Member
Registered
Wonderful. I just changed my oil and filter. Tightened the plug. Then changed the magneto cover gasket cuz it was leaking. Then tightened the plug again. Then put oil in it. And started it. Wait...did I mention that I tightened the oil plug twice? I did. And it got a little loose. But I did put teflon tape on it to hold it and it got much tighter. Should hold a while. Now....wheres the best place to get a new oil pan and are there any mods out there with the oil pan that I can do while its out?

bump.gif

U can fix that leak with a helicoil kit from any parts store , just take the plug for sizing .

For future ref..........the plug needs 16 ft pounds of torque .....which isn't much more than "hand" tight .
biggrin.gif

U can fix that leak with a helicoil kit from any parts store , just take the plug for sizing .

For future ref..........the plug needs 16 ft pounds of torque .....which isn't much more than "hand" tight .  
biggrin.gif
+1. You shouldn't have to buy a new oil pan, unless you want to...
Helicoil will hook ya up!

Or wait for Paul to save the day ...
smile.gif

There is another kind of coil that is not a helicoil, and it's supposed to be better. Wish I could remember the name, but you get it at an auto parts store. You tighten it in, and then wack it with a special tool, and it will never back out like a helicoil can.

oh how many times have we read this thread!

Sears is having another sale on Torque Wrenches. If you have a Craftsman Club Card you get another $10.00 off and a rebate for free shipping. Around $55.00.

I have all three now. It just makes sense to have a torque wrench. I'm suprised how many don't have one.

Stripped pan..$110.00
Bolt..$6.00
Gasket..$12.00
Torque wrench..PRICELESS

hogger...

I torque mine to 15/lbs--never had a leak. I'm so afraid of stripping it I never never tighten to specs. No problems so far.

i don't know why anybody would need a torque wrench for an oil plug just snug the puppy up and leave it be.. it's always that last little bit of tighten that everybody seems to think an oil plug needs that causes the problem.

Heli-coil
Drill and retap to the next size
Or a new pan.

Gotta love steel bolts going into aluminum casings...

i don't know why anybody would need a torque wrench for an oil plug just snug the puppy up and leave it be.. it's always that last little bit of tighten that everybody seems to think an oil plug needs that causes the problem.
Almost every nut and bolt has a torque spec. It takes a couple of seconds.

Next time your speedometer reads 180 think about that bolt you just snugged.

hogger...

There is another kind of coil that is not a helicoil, and it's supposed to be better.  Wish I could remember the name, but you get it at an auto parts store.  You tighten it in, and then wack it with a special tool, and it will never back out like a helicoil can.
time serts. they have drain pan kits

linky-->  http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

<!--EDIT|Mr. Anderson
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155763620 -->

Back